OEM hand throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds lime a JB Weld fix to me.

If that fails, then spend the ~$55 for a new one.

The OEM had throttle is infinitely adjustable from 0 to way faster that I have ever set it: 4000 rpm. I have never seen one that has a fixed set speed.

^^^^^^ Amen! Mine has enough adjustment that it would hold at least 4K rpm.

The only time I actually use mine is for keeping rpm up to check A/C system pressure or to keep air moving across the engine when stuck in traffic. I'll press the accelerator down to about 2,000 rpm (in park or neutral) and lock the throttle there. Keeps the A/C and engine cooler. Simple twist of the knob releases it when you are ready to go.

Did it ever work for you? Mine locks by twisting it clockwise after pulling it to set the RPM.

Edit- never mind, I see that you know that. If you need one, there's a few posts about where to find the unit, and they're cheap AF.

Yes, worked fine in the day

You should be able to push down on the gas pedal to get the idle speed you want then pull out easily on the knob until you feel it hit the end of the slack.

^^^^^^ Yep. That is the 'correct' way to use it.

I used mine for filling up tires with 12V compressor

When I was up felling hazard trees in the Sierra, I had I guy that had a nail in his tire and asked if I had onboard air...went to use hand throttle and it wouldnt hold the RPM...I was bummed...

Oh, and welcome to Apr 2003 ;) ;)...I didnt want to start a new thread...you know how some people get when you do..lol

Last edited:
I used mine for filling up tires with 12V compressor

When I was up felling hazard trees in the Sierra, I had I guy that had a nail in his tire and asked if I had onboard air...went to use hand throttle and it wouldnt hold the RPM...I was bummed...

^^^^^^ Hope you didn't have any real bad one's like this Fringe Tree in my front yard. It was a 'leaner' to make matters worse. Had to get my Solo 603 out. ;)

fringetree1_zpsgzhqgdtv.jpg

Tech content: Until you get your hand throttle fixed or replaced you can always wedge something behind the throttle linkage under the hood to maintain a higher rpm. (vehicle in park/neutral of course).

notes on hand throttle use:
1. don't use it as cruise control
2. push the gas pedal with your foot then twist and set. the knob will pull off.

You know you're replying to a 15 year old post, right?

Also, I thought all the gas pedals had the bracket. Mine did, and several others I've seen. :meh:

You know, I did not revive the thread, and I have previously found a number of owners that did not understand how it is SUPPOSED TO work.
Most rigs do have the tab, but a few do not. Pretty easy to fab one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom