OEM Bow kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a quick question. I am looking to make a soft top. I have what I believe is an OEM Bow kit. That being said is not square. Is that normal? The front bow is about 2.5 inches higher than the rear bows in the center. The crossing beam is square to the side of the vehicle. It is also about 2 inches narrower on the back bow verse the front bow. I just want to clarify that this is normal before I go forward with my sewing project. Thanks

IMG_20200204_090744.jpg

IMG_20200204_090725.jpg

Last edited:
Mine looks a bit different. What year? Mine is a '74 and the top bows are all about the same height.

Not the best angle but here is a photo for reference:

49479978607_1a1f69c5ee_c.jpg

it's a '73. It just just seems weird to me that they are not the same height. Across, but the old top was sewen with the adjustment.

I have a quick question. I am looking to make a soft top. I have what I believe is an OEM Bow kit. That being said is not square. Is that normal? The front bow is about 2.5 inches higher than the rear bows in the center. The crossing beam is square to the side of the vehicle. It is also about 2 inches narrower on the back bow verse the front bow. I just want to clarify that this is normal before I go forward with my sewing project. Thanks

View attachment 2201309

Would have to dig the pictures I have of my 73 bows for comparison. They are original to the vehicle.

View attachment 2201311
Not the best angle but here is a photo for reference:

49479978607_1a1f69c5ee_c.jpg

The middle cross bow is different then the B and back now. Angle of the curve is not as sharp. All my bow sets are 73 or older so not sure about a 74.

Btw...nice rig Badreligon...what size tires are those? They look great!

Thanks. They are 7.5 R16 BFG KM3's. I like semi tall and skinny tires on the 40 series. Note, they are on OEM reproduction 16" wheels, I do not think you can find that height/width in a KM3 for the 15" wheels.

Yeah, your top bows definitely are shorter than mine. Could they be reproductions? I don't think the soft top bows changed throughout the years but I could be wrong. If you are sewing your own top, shouldn't matter as you can adjust for it but other tops may fit a little loose.

It appears that an extension was welded on the front bow.Maybe someone modified them :meh:

they should be the same .... our "Canvas Makers Guild" webpage might help you out ... fellow mudders who also sewed their own tops:

these measurements will help alot:

Thanks for all the info. It appears that they were cut and shortened at the bracket. Sounds like for shipping. Now I just gave to decide how/if to get them back to standard length:(

IMG_20200204_123240.jpg

IMG_20200204_123246.jpg

Fronts don't look like a bad fix, just cut and weld in a straight section of same diameter tubing, but on the rear you may have to put a bend on it.

Or, leave it if you still plan on making your own top.

Thanks for all the info. It appears that they were cut and shortened at the bracket. Sounds like for shipping. Now I just gave to decide how/if to get them back to standard length:(

View attachment 2201507

View attachment 2201508

Unless your having a custom top made you would probably have a loose fitting top. I have a odd ball Kayline top that came with bows off a 69 FJ40. The rear bow is shorter and the top will not work with my other factory bows. Guessing the rear bow was cut down to make it work. Guy I bought off of was going hard top and sold the top and doors. First picture is the 69 top on my 68. Second picture is a new Kayline top on my 68 using the 73 bows.

001011.jpg

001012.jpg

I would think I could cut some 1inch tube and extend them back to OEM length. I am not a welder(yet) but doesn't seem to hard. Thoughts!?

Thanks again for the help.

I would think I could cut some 1inch tube and extend them back to OEM length. I am not a welder(yet) but doesn't seem to hard. Thoughts!?

Thanks again for the help.

I wasn't one either until just recently. MIG isn't too hard. Get some practice steel and watch a few u-tube videos before doing the actual work. Those bows are not under a ton of force. Its not like the existing welds are pretty to start with. This is after 30 min of playing around. Nice machine does help (Miller Multimatic 220).

49489382942_1f71e6b828_c.jpg

Obviously going in a circle will be a bit more difficult but this would be a good project to start with! Its a nice skill to have and continue to develop too.

visually from the pics above, they all look like the middle bow is lower than the both end bows
the very first pic from @FJ Jerry 19 looks like the rear and middle bow is flattened out and doesn't have the same arch the front bow has.
easiest way to tell would be to lay a flat bar across from front to rear and get measurements

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom