Ode to the 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good story.

As I posted last night, I'm another new guy here, but I've enjoyed this site for some time now. This was a great read, and one of the others guys mentioned putting your memoirs together. I wonder if anyone is familiar with Peter Egan, who writes for Cycle World and Road & Track. Peter did exactly that - compiled his monthly stories into several books called Leanings and Side Glances (maybe more; that's all I'm familiar with.) Whether you're into cars or bikes or not, if you enjoy a good story, check them out. He's the man.
And yeah Doug - you might consider writing more like this. Again, a great read. -Potbelly

Perfect complement to the most recent flawless trip in my cruiser from home to school. Not nearly the distance, but every time I make the trek in my cruiser I know I'll make it there no matter the incident. Bravo LC 80 (4.0 growl>4.5 buzz..though)

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Hey, thanks. I'm feeling a bit sheepish actually as I can tell when I leave lots of typos that Ambien has kicked in and this one has that look. I have enjoyed the many roadtrips we've taken in 80s and never been let down. However, the top dog to my knowledge would have to be my brother in law who now has 320,000 on his 93 model who last year jumped in his with a 1 year old, a 3 year old and wife and took off for California. I have barely more than 50% of his miles and he left a year old BMW X3 in the garage - preferring the space of the Cruiser since they brought their big dog as well.

At any rate, there's a moment in any long roadtrip where you stop thinking through whether you stopped the paper, left clear enough instructions for the neighbor and trying to recall if you brought the laptop's printer cord to take a deep breath and put a foot up on the dash. I'm proud that nearly every time I've done that for the last 16 years, it has been a LandCruiser under me. I know every whir, tire slap, and relay click on the thing and its so much like an old shoe the analogy is redundant.

Great comments - thanks.

DougM

...looking forward to that book, please let us know when it's available. And thanks for the write up, I'll read it to my 5 and 6 year old every time they are "bored".

Originally posted by IdahoDoug:
"With two sleeping children in the truck, I went in to pay the bill with my Glock concealed in the rare case somene attacks the car."

Great story! (uh, I kinda embellished here):
As I emerged from the station, arms loaded with even more sinful and glorious treats, I spied a couple of suspicious looking figures making a move for the Cruiser. I immediately thought of the harm which might come to my baby (yeah, I know there are kids inside). I dropped my load (the goodies, that is) and grabbed my piece - I had to adjust myself first ( I hate the underwear the missus buys me). Then I grabbed hold of that mean Glock and pulled it out. The two interlopers dropped their jaws, but had no time to react. My baby fired herself up and plowed them over. BAM! They hit their heads on the mighty ARB as it bowled them over. I rushed over and threw myself on her. I felt her mechanical heart, warm and inviting, against my body as I lay on the hood, embraced her and mumbled sweet thank yous.
I love my Land Cruiser!

Oh, sorry. I meant to keep it tech. Not bad on the gas mileage. I've been able to get almost 17 on my '91; 144k, minor cosmetic stuff, essentially stock - for now.
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Coming from one with a recent HG failure...

Very well said! The 80 has impressed me, and everyone who happens to be around, on many occasions in my almost 16 months of ownership. So many more occasions than ones where I've had troubles. Toothfairy's cruiser has been an inspiration to me for quite a while, and mine hasn't let me down yet in my opinion.

Another round for the 80 series!!!:clap:

Nicely done sir!

Coming from one with a recent HG failure...

With that said....

My HG failed coming home from Ouray Colorado. The failure began on the way there but I had no idea and no CEL. The Cruiser got us all the way home to Albuquerque, limping on 5 cylinders, and was working well enough to get me a speeding ticket! I replaced the HG and have had no further problems. Bravo 80 series. And long live the 4.5 ;p

Great write up very well written I have traveled cross country twice with the family, grandmom pulling a pop up with my old 60 and never throught once of having a problem with it. Long live the Landcruiser.

Very inspiring story. Makes me want to go on a road trip!
VIVA LA OCHENTA!! VIVA LA OCHENTA!!

great read doug. I'm still trying to figure out how I80 gets you from Northern Idaho to PC though? :flipoff2:

I have had quite a few conversations with people who ask me why I brought such a gas hog on my trip. My typical reply is 'there is no other vehicle I trust to get me through the places i want to go.' from now on i'm just going to link them to this thread. well done.:cheers:
dmc

Last edited:
Excellent read! We share alot of the same ideas when it comes to others that think their $30k+ rig that gets 22mpg it so "amazing"...Just like you said...Keep your monthly car payment for the next 5 years i will take only getting 13mpg :cheers:

barrypt5

This makes my stripped out headbolt/headgasket job easier to cope with, THANKS!!

Doug,
Awesome story... I really did get teary eyed reading it. We have 2 girls and I pack a pistol with me just to make sure no one messes with my little ladies. I have owned around 25 cars in the 18 years we have been married: supra twin turbo, Tundra, Sequoia, 3 4runners, 3 Tacoma's, 2 Camry's etc... I have said and will say again that the Landcruiser is by far my favorite vehicle (ever), it's quality, durability and versatility amaze me, it is built to a much higher standard than anything I have ever seen before.. and I have seen a lot! I have had people ride in it and think that it's NEW!! no kidding!! QUOTE "it would be nice to have a new Lexus!!" and when I tell them it's 12 years and old and has 118000 miles their jaw drops.. then I tell them I paid about $3000 less than they could buy a new Corolla for (base model)...
sorry to ramble on, that's why I don't write stories...
keep up the great work and next time your in Utah let me know...
later
Bret
Ps. my family had a cabin on Spirit lake (Idaho)for many years. Northern Idaho is a very nice place....

Great story Doug. I wish I could be as confident in the reliability of my truck as you are in yours. There are just so many rattles, vibrations, shimmies, shakes, etc that I'm not confident in my ability to take it on a 1500 mile road trip. Congrats on building yourself such a reliable rig!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom