October ROTM - Casner #8 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20190924_090814_resized.jpg

And finally at the top...

View attachment 2090517

That doesn't appear to be the top. The top is the gate on the north end in the pine trees.

Last year the straight section along the bottom was rutted from spring run off. The switchbacks were rough but doable. After reaching the top of the switchbacks there a long steep climb further along. Last year I had to back down a little a pick a different line. I have open diffs and hadn't aired down my AT 31X10.50X15s. if there would be a issue would think it would be in that stretch. Did you go all the way to the top gate? If so how was that steep section? There is only this one long steep section on the trail and easy to know which one I'm talking about. Believe the 2015 run had some photos of it. Only camping this year but for others condition would help. Getting recovery help in this section might be difficult because of the length to stable section above. The bottom half looks like it may have been bladed. If that is the case and went to the top should make it a easy run.

That doesn't appear to be the top. The top is the gate on the north end in the pine trees.

Last year the straight section along the bottom was rutted from spring run off. The switchbacks were rough but doable. After reaching the top of the switchbacks there a long steep climb further along. Last year I had to back down a little a pick a different line. I have open diffs and hadn't aired down my AT 31X10.50X15s. if there would be a issue would think it would be in that stretch. Did you go all the way to the top gate? If so how was that steep section? There is only this one long steep section on the trail and easy to know which one I'm talking about. Believe the 2015 run had some photos of it. Only camping this year but for others condition would help. Getting recovery help in this section might be difficult because of the length to stable section above. The bottom half looks like it may have been bladed. If that is the case and went to the top should make it a easy run.
Unfortunately I did not get to the other top. I do know that steep climb you are talking about. The last time I was up to that climb it was manageable in a Ranger, however the trail was heavily weathered with semi-loose shale stones throughout the climb.
Appologies for not getting further.

Unfortunately I did not get to the other top. I do know that steep climb you are talking about. The last time I was up to that climb it was manageable in a Ranger, however the trail was heavily weathered with semi-loose shale stones throughout the climb.
Appologies for not getting further.

When was the last time you were on the steep section in the Ranger? Last October did it in my 89 FJ62. Probably been easier if I had aired down. But was definitely harder than in 2015 and 1016.

Thx for the report Rusty!

Ill be heading up Sat 600 am if any one wants to caravan? I'm good as either a trail alternate or hanging out/exploring the camp area. Camping sat pm then out early Sunday am to get to the stadium for the Cards game. It'll be good to catch up with everyone after this long summer hiatus!

I'll relinquish my spot on the run, but I am still a maybe for camping one night or the other.

What’s the Saturday plan for the happy campers that aren’t doing the Casner trail? If we drive up Saturday am should we go to the Safeway meeting spot, or go to the campsite? Also for those not doing Casner, is anybody planning some other trails on Saturday?

What’s the Saturday plan for the happy campers that aren’t doing the Casner trail? If we drive up Saturday am should we go to the Safeway meeting spot, or go to the campsite? Also for those not doing Casner, is anybody planning some other trails on Saturday?

Personally would head straight to the campsite. Those meeting at Safeway will heading a different direction. Only the top ten on the trail list will be going. Only way I would go to Safeway is if I was hoping for a no show and be able to go on run. There are plenty of forest service roads on top of the rim to explore. That's my plan this year, went on the run last year so figure I would explore the area. Been over twenty years since I did more than just travel thru the area.

. That's my plan this year, went on the run last year so figure I would explore the area. Been over twenty years since I did more than just travel thru the area.

I am thinking since I've been on the Casner trail many times (great trail!), that for once Ill be a happy camper and explore the area around camp.

I am thinking since I've been on the Casner trail many times (great trail!), that for once Ill be a happy camper and explore the area around camp.
Plus hanging at camp frees up more time for cold beer 🍺

Do we have directions to the campsite? Would like to scout it out ahead of time.

Do we have directions to the campsite? Would like to scout it out ahead of time.

GPS coordinates are in the first post. I hoping to go off last year when we camped close by and drove over on Friday evening. Have a old hand held GPS as a back up. I'm debating driving my Sequoia and towing my FJ40. No tunes at all in my FJ40 so that rules out driving it. Have a few other towing options but none with the power of a 5.7 V8. That is unless no one else is coming with a FJ40.

No onboard nav or gps so coordinates do me no good. Maybe @Clunky has directions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom