October ROTM - Casner #8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brices123

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Place: Casner Mountain Trail #8
Dates: October 11-13, 2019
Meeting place: Safeway parking lot, Sedona
Time: 9:00AM Saturday the 12th
Depart: 9:30AM

Trails: FR 525, Casner #8, FR 231, and others

Stocker friendly: Questionable. I would say in 2018 it wasn’t stock friendly as the switchback road was badly washed out, but the previous years it was stock friendly. The Forest Ranger indicated APS might do some work on the road, but I have not heard anything.

Camping will be located on the north side of the rim, south of FR 231, at a new camp site that is a little further east on FR 231. GPS coordinates for the camping area are 34.976838,-111.800257.

Casner #8 (the switchback road) is limited to 10 total vehicles by the Forest Service and requires a minimum of 3. I will meet the drivers at Safeway on Saturday morning.

I will go up on Friday morning to get our camping spot, and hopefully mark some trails. We will be camping two nights, Friday and Saturday. If anyone wants to come up Friday, they are more than welcome. This is a great family dispersed camp site with spectacular views.

The maps you will need for this run are the South Coconino National Forest pdf map and the North Coconino National Forest pdf map. The map can be found here: Coconino National Forest - Projects

More information about Casner #8 can be found here:
Coconino National Forest - Casner Mountain Trail No. 8

You can read about the 2018 run here (photos start on the 8thpage of the thread):
October 2018 ROTM - Casner

The lucky few trail runners:

1. @brices123 - out for the run, may ride with someone.
2. @Saddletramp
3. @Otter
4. @Funner
5. @knewstance
6. @ARJMN
7. @Jgunner - a maybe
8. @Cruiserhiggs
9. @Pitch
10. @wildling
11. @Nifski
12. @ProBro - alternate
13. @CARL JOHNSON - alternate
14. @murf - alternate
15. @Honger - alternate

Happy Campers:

1. @Living in the Past
2. @Abigail
3. @D_Web
4. @verruckt1
5. @tls3601
6. @ProBro
7. @murf
8. @DPA200
9. @Honger - with family
10. @Dissent - With kids (maybe)
11. @Highway Romping - Saturday night
12. @Fuge - With family

Dine & Dashers:
1. @ftbshop - only in for dinner

Attachments

• Casner #8.pdf
    288.7 KB · Views: 319
  • Casner Map to Camp.pdf
    418.3 KB · Views: 287
  • I17 to Camping.pdf
    302 KB · Views: 287
  • Sedona to Casner.pdf
    327.2 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
A couple of photos from the 2019 camping spot, not the 2018 camping spot.

APC_0048.jpg

APC_0050.jpg

Most likely in for camping.

Looking forward to it. Plenty of forest roads to explore on top which is probably what I will do Saturday. If anyone wants to head up early Friday or even Thursday I'm game.

Stocker friendly: Questionable. I would say in 2018 it wasn’t stock friendly as the switchback road was badly washed out, but the previous years it was stock friendly. The Forest Ranger indicated APS might do some work on the road, but I have not heard anything.

Camping will be located on the north side of the rim, south of FR 231, at a new camp site that is a little further east on FR 231. GPS coordinates for the camping area are 34°58'44.9"N 111°48'04.0"W.

Casner #8 (the switchback road) is limited to 10 total vehicles by the Forest Service and requires a minimum of 3. I will meet the drivers at Safeway on Saturday morning.

I will go up on Friday morning to get our camping spot, and hopefully mark some trails. We will be camping two nights, Friday and Saturday. If anyone wants to come up Friday, they are more than welcome. This is a great family dispersed camp site with spectacular views.

The maps you will need for this run are the South Coconino National Forest pdf map and the North Coconino National Forest pdf map. The map can be found here: Coconino National Forest - Projects

You can read about the 2018 run here (photos start on the 8thpage of the thread):

1. @brices123
2. @Saddletramp
3. @Otter
4. @Rusty 1970 FJ40
5. @knewstance
11. -alternate
12. -alternate

Happy Campers:

1. @Living in the Past
2. @Abigail

Please add me again this year. I'll be rocking the 80! Finally.

Ug, supposed to be out of town that weekend. That said, my travel plans tend to change rapidly these days, so hopefully I'll be able to make it for camping.

This absolutely pains me to say this but i need to pass on this amazing offer. I already have travel plans with the family.
Cross my fingers that i get an invite next round in 2020...

Brice, please add me to the casner run.
Thanks!

Camping will be located on the north side of the rim, south of FR 231, at a new camp site that is a little further east on FR 231. GPS coordinates for the camping area are 34°58'44.9"N 111°48'04.0"W.

1. @brices123
2. @Saddletramp
3. @Otter
4. @Rusty 1970 FJ40
5. @knewstance
11. -alternate
12. -alternate

Happy Campers:

1. @Living in the Past
2. @Abigail
Is it the same weekekd every year? I need to kock diwn my calendar better, #getmyprioritiesinorder

Excited about this run. Sarah and Graham are on board for camping, at least.

Can you put me down

I am in for the run, plus camping

Word in the 4x4 community is that the road is MUCH worse this year.

If I am heading up there for work in the coming weeks or months I will take some pics and get them up here...

What are you planning on driving? The 45?
How about @JackA and @tls3601 ? Be nice to see some 40 series.

For now, the 45 is only doing homedepot runs and short and very local routes. I keep getting distracted from maintenance and repairs that would make me feal confident doing trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom