Now it Begins - NEW QUESTION (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just sold my 98 Jeep Wrangler on Craig's List last week and good riddance.

So, I just pulled my 1971 40 into an empty bay in the garage and slowly started tearing it down. This rig had a bunch of post 71 stuff on it so it's going to be a little challenge identifying the correct parts for replacement. Just freed the hard top today so I'm waiting for a couple friends to come over this weekend to help remove it.

I'm going to need some serious mud power on this project.

And so my story begins!

Last edited:
I'll post a few pictures up this weekend after I pull the top off.

This is not a USA model 40 but has been over here for decades. I call it the Frankenstein edition 40 because it has a bunch of later model years parts on it. Some things that really stick out, it's a 1971 but it has later model front doors, rear ambulance doors, a factory roll bar and short jump seats.

My plan is to replace the rear quarters, the front floor pans and any other sheet metal that's bad.

The good news is that this rig has a new wiring harness and the frame is in excellent shape.

I believe that the current engine may have a blown head gasket. I actually planned on putting an LS motor in it but may have changed my mind. I'll just have to see what the current motor looks like. Don't know, I need to pull the head and also check the overall conditions of the internals.

Like they say, I'm getting ready to go down the rabbit hole.

Welcome to the madness! I've also started a '71 FJ40 project, I've owned it since 1999 but the vehicle's been sitting (and waiting) since 2001. It already has a lot of later model parts, and will be getting a few more, mainly drivetrain upgrades go behind the '76 2F. Hopefully I'll be able to provide some input as you go. I'm sure many others will do likewise. Post away with any and all questions you have.

BTW, it's the one on the right side of the photo <----- .

Gents,

I'm getting some pictures of my 1971 but like I said previously, it has later model parts on it. I'm super green on the 40's but am not new to the restoration scene.

So, I took several pictures of the doors I just removed. I'm getting ready to strip the doors to bare metal for the rebuild. I'll cut em in with Dune Beige after any body work, rebuild the inners and add new door gaskets. I'm in the process of sandblasting the door hinges, painting and add new hinge bushings.

BUT, before I purchase new door gaskets, can anyone advise what year doors I have?

Much thanks,

John

DSC_0520.JPG

DSC_0521.JPG

DSC_0522.JPG

DSC_0523.JPG

Last edited:
Gents,

I'm getting some pictures of my 1971 but like I said previously, it has later model parts on it. I'm super green on the 40's but am not new to the restoration scene.

So, I took several pictures of the doors I just removed. I'm getting ready to strip the doors to bare metal for the rebuild. I'll cut em in with Dune Beige after any body work, rebuild the inners and add new door gaskets. I'm in the process of sandblasting the door hinges, painting and add new hinge bushings.

BUT, before I purchase new door gaskets, can anyone advise what year doors I have?

Much thanks,

John

View attachment 2010589

View attachment 2010590

View attachment 2010591

View attachment 2010592
I have 1977 and they look like mine.

Yep, those are 75 and later doors Johnboy. Earlier are two piece, have a wing window, don't need inner door cards and don't have the recessed paddle handle.

Here's a 71 door
40445314-8D47-48CB-B60B-CDEC89798121.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom