North GA Mountain Trail Ride (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also wanted to possibly suggest and see if any of you guys wanted to maybe meet up one Saturday or Sunday and go eat somewhere and shoot the s*** and actually meet each other and check out our vehicles. I know we trail ride but we don't get that much time to actually get to know each other since we are in our vehicles most of the time. Suggestions yay or nay?

I'm down for that. see if u can make one of the monthly meets at fudruckers.

Patrick was great. real, good, honest guy.

I'm down for that. see if u can make one of the monthly meets at fudruckers.

Patrick was great. real, good, honest guy.

Yeah me and MongooseGA went and it was okay but not what I expected. I meant a few guys with 100's and 200's like CA2GA, MongooseGA, 184R, Camino70, BVNS, Whiskerz, me and whoever else would like to join.

Went up to warwoman road yesterday and the forest service folks closed a lot of the roads. They had over a foot of snow still on the ground. This was near Rabun bald.

Just wanted to offer that up so you don’t drive and find out they closed stuff. I was not happy.

I can’t make it this weekend as we have a packed schedule with birthday parties and visiting.

Went up to warwoman road yesterday and the forest service folks closed a lot of the roads. They had over a foot of snow still on the ground. This was near Rabun bald.

Just wanted to offer that up so you don’t drive and find out they closed stuff. I was not happy.

Good to know. I'll call the rangers today and see what's up.

BTW there is a long long trail that might take us a bit of time to complete its around 6.5 miles called West Skeenah rd. FS-640 - Its a seasonal road which closes after Dec and opens back up End of March by the FS. Lets try that? what do you think? has anyone else do it? Its new to me so I dont know how difficult it will be. Here's the link so you can look at it

North Georgia 4x4 Trails

Just seeing this. I'd be interested in checking it out. I just satellite mapped it and it looked like there were some fun obstacles on the trail. If for some reason it's a no-go, there's another one just a little past the church that W. Skeenah is right across from.

Google Maps

Per Blue Ridge district, that FS640 that @BnvS suggested should be open, though probably muddy they said. Also, the Tray Mt and Popcorn Creek trails should be open as well.

I'd like to be on a trail by 11AM on Sunday. Depending on which one we decide to run might impact our meeting time/ location a bit. If we choose to explore the FS640 trail, meeting in Cumming doesn't make much sense for me. I'd suggest meeting at or at a place near the Friendship Church which is directly across from the trail. If we choose to do Charlies/Tray/Popcorn area, the Wendy's works for me.

Can we get a consensus of everyone who is in fact going to come along? And from there, preference for which trail?

Edit: just dug this up, which looks pretty useful: Trail Ride Info

Last edited:
I need to be back home by 4pm so it depends how long the drive through the trail(s) take...will keep an eye to see where you guys chose to go (if doing multiple trails, maybe I can head out after the first).

friendship church is about a 1:45 drive for me

I think I am going to be out for this ride. I really need to give the LX some TLC. The interior needs a good cleaning and all of that. I also need to do a few things around the house. Count me in for the next ride in the new few weeks in January.

Hey 8cam I am located in Ball Ground. You could always meet me and follow to our meeting spot. Hey GA I agree about the time. I think we should meet around 8:30-9 that way it gives us more time to ride.

Sounds good to me, I'd be coming right through Ball Ground headed that way. Pick a place to meet up and I'll be there!

I think I am going to be out for this ride. I really need to give the LX some TLC. The interior needs a good cleaning and all of that. I also need to do a few things around the house. Count me in for the next ride in the new few weeks in January.

Just saw this one, too bad. But if you change your mind I can go through Ball Ground.

So what's the meeting time and place? Are you talking about the Wendy's off 20, or the one at Keith Bridge? There's actually a Wendy's at 53 that would be even better since it's more of a straight shot across for me, but I'm flexible.

I'm guessing there will be a lot of mud up there, definitely want to go but not interested in getting sunk to the axles if you know what I mean. I've got a winch, but not much else since I'm new to this stuff. Sunday is looking pretty good, hopefully not too much rain Saturday.

I also wanted to possibly suggest and see if any of you guys wanted to maybe meet up one Saturday or Sunday and go eat somewhere and shoot the s*** and actually meet each other and check out our vehicles. I know we trail ride but we don't get that much time to actually get to know each other since we are in our vehicles most of the time. Suggestions yay or nay?

Totally up for this too. Hell since you're in Ball Ground we could meet up any time.

@8cam I'm with you on the mud. I don't mind a little bit flinging but would rather not submerge myself in it.

In the interest of time and not knowing the terrain of the FS640 trail after all of the rain, I'd be content to run Tray/Charlies/Popcorn or any combination of them. We already know those trails and I'd err on the safer side with people just getting started wheeling. If we do Tray, it's a pretty nice 20-30 minute hike to the top of the mountain from trail with a killer view. If anyone wanted to check it out, walking trail conditions permitting, I think it would be cool.

I definitely want to check out FS640 soon though. From the satellite maps it looks like it would be fun.

If this works for those going, but the Wendy's meeting spot is out of the way, I'd suggest the Chikfila in Dahlonega:

Chick-fil-A, 488 Morrison Moore Pkwy E, Dahlonega, GA 30533

They'll be closed Sunday so no parking lot traffic. It's a pretty easy mostly straight shot from there up to the trails.

Thoughts?

Sweet.

@BnvS Would this work for you as well? I'd be up to explore FS640 together after a dry week.

Let's plan to leave the Chikfila by 10AM, so arrive around 9-930 if you plan to fuel up/fill coolers before leaving. That should put us on the trail right at 11AM.

@craaaazzy We should be able to facilitate you getting home on time. You may need to leave after doing popcorn but that's a good trail to stretch your legs for sure.

Well I hope you guys have a great trip and lets not have much damage/carnage. Can't wait to see some pics. I will be down for the next trail ride. The FS640 sounds like fun. Once it warms up a little in March would any of you guys be down for a 3 day weekend trip to Stoney Lonesome OHV in Cullman, AL or Windrock OHV near Knoxville? I am thinking about planning a 3 day weekend trip to one of these spots and try something new. Maybe leave early on a Friday morning and come back on Sunday afternoon? It is about 3-4 hours for either place.

Yes, I'd definitely be up for that. I was also going to suggest Choccoloco in Alabama. It's about 2 hours from the Metro area.

Yes, I'd definitely be up for that. I was also going to suggest Choccoloco in Alabama. It's about 2 hours from the Metro area.

Oh yeah I know where that is. I can be the guide leader since I am from Birmingham and know my way around that area. There is also Talladega National Forest and Little River Canyon trails not far from Choccoloco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom