North GA Mountain Trail Ride (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s not water. It hasn’t rained in weeks. The only thing left on the trail are stagnant peanut butter mud holes. The smell is indescribable. I should have noticed the line of camping chairs and empty beer cans beside this hole. I got cocky. Carpet is coming out this morning.
BAD20F49-F0E7-46E0-8223-52D07861300C.jpeg

I told Will the only way to deal with that is remove the carpet. Darn it Ben....I know what that mud smells like...sewer and raw fecal matter with some decomp....that just begins to get you into the ball park.

I had been jealous of you going wheeling on a week day.

Had been.

Do the 80s have much electrical in the floors like the 100s?

Details ?

No damage other than my ego. Was a killer day on a tough trail. There are a few mud holes with chicken track alternatives. I was feeling cocky and hit this one hard. Absolutely buried my front diff in the goo. There’s have been lots of big trucks on 44in + tires through there so the bogs are deep.

My buddy snatched me out backwards after about 10 tries. I think the water came in through the rear heater under the passenger seat. PO did a delete but I’m not sure the lines were plugged.

My carpet was nasty and I needed to run a 4ga to the back so I’m fine with pulling it. Had everything out by 10am.

F137EBDC-2E79-4A5D-8E15-976D82FE97E3.jpeg

Super happy with my @Delta VS radius arms. Beat them up pretty good yesterday.

5F45E2D9-6D4D-4FC9-BC4A-BCFAFF18DD73.jpeg

This trail is super rocky. Not an issue until the end where it is extremely steep. Would be a challenge without at least a rear locker.

F8347F58-FAA7-4448-A7D7-BE2B67B18DC9.jpeg

FD38B878-E195-498E-9CC0-615DD601E83F.jpeg

461A5886-F56D-4D8A-9772-D94F6738F941.jpeg

It's pretty frustrating how bad this trail has gotten just in the last few months. Its a product of people in the Chattanooga area posting the location all over social media. This rut is probably 4' deep.

205151DC-4B8D-4B2E-A270-359777CEEC08.jpeg
54365084-00F4-42D2-A566-E9A0FBBC1A32.jpeg

The payoff is nice.

AD6D3AF7-1107-4C38-B11E-43D0E3DB22E1.jpeg

From the waterfall there is an extremely steep and rocky track with lots of sharp switchbacks. By far the most technical and difficult trail I've driven in the 80. The truck performed flawlessly. After we hit pavement and aired up for the drive home around 2pm, my buddies TJ started misfiring and running poorly. It threw a TPS code so we made it to an O Reillys and bought 2. They are notorious for being bad out of the box. Neither sensor cured the issue and the Jeep was basically undriveable. We ended up replacing the plug wires, cap, rotor and coil along with pulling all the plugs, cleaning grounds and lord knows what else. We both have lots of experience wrenching and building motors but the electrical issue stumped us. Made it to Calhoun before we gave up and called a tow. His first tow in 20 years of building Jeeps... We got home just before 2am.
F6258A7B-664A-4F49-989D-F11866D4B5A7.jpeg

BEEF7482-119C-4716-94E6-883A59C9B219.jpeg

Last edited:
So you went to Coppinger Cove. Lots of water crossings there. Once you are in the trail system, not really an easy way out unless you have all you need for self recovery.

The first time I installed a cheap NAPA CV axle, was also the last time . Didn't survive even one day at CC. Swapped it on the trail with an old OEM axle that did just fine.
2011-10_Cove (140).JPG
2011-10_Cove (154).JPG

So you went to Coppinger Cove. Lots of water crossings there. Once you are in the trail system, not really an easy way out unless you have all you need for self recovery.
Yep! Every other time I've been the water has been very deep. Yesterday the deepest crossing was maybe rocker high. This is the first one....
B92EBA3F-53A3-4DCC-AE85-FDB9A76FE34E.jpeg

The waterfall is definitely beautiful. Quite a reward at the end.

I'd be interested in everything but the mud- were there chicken trails around the big bogs?

Yep. All the bogs are avoidable. Don’t be like me. You’d enjoy it there I’m sure.

I know yall been getting a ton of rain. I had planned on leaving to do some of the GA traverse from about Eaton to helen and hopefully hit tray on Saturday. Will everything just be a mud pit this week?

It might be muddy but you should be fine in my opinion. Pretty much all of the Ga Traverse is doable in a Camry in my opinion. It’s a fun ride but not technical.

It might be muddy but you should be fine in my opinion. Pretty much all of the Ga Traverse is doable in a Camry in my opinion. It’s a fun ride but not technical.

Would you try tray mnt in these conditions?

Scroll up on this thread. I’m not the guy to be taking advice from.

Personally I don't think you'd have a hard time on Tray, even if it's muddy. I ran it riding in Jason's stock LX with KO2s on it. No issues.

As of yesterday on the forest service website Tray is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom