Events/Trails NorCal/FJ80's & FZJ80's on the Rubicon??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This may be going further afield from "80s capability on the Rubicon", but Brent you should sign up for the SoCal 80s cool list. Several folks are in southern CA, just not nearly as organized as the NorCal guys and spending too much time at the beach and Orange County malls to wheel :D. Seriously, any weekend you'll most likely find someone down here willing to explore.

Back on the thread topic - the Rubicon is much too difficult for any 80 to do unless it's been cut up and exo'd. Even then, I just don't know...

Mike R.

Back on the thread topic - the Rubicon is much too difficult for any 80 to do unless it's been cut up and exo'd. Even then, I just don't know...

Mike R.

Mike you are not serious with that quote, are you??
Cheers,
Sean

Mike, you have no clue.

I had a 60...went on the con with some guys from the local club sitting RIO in a friends 60. There was one member that took his 80 through with 2-3 inch lift, 33s, and sliders and he did fine. I came home, sold the 60 and bought my 80 the next week.

Nuf Said. ;)

Sean, yeah, I guess most folks would have known I was joking given the number of 80s that have done the Rubicon, some essentially stock. So Safado, take things a little less seriously. You don't know if I don't have a clue until you know my clue :flipoff2:

Is this thread going anywhere that may or may not be suitable for an 80 series????

Is this thread going anywhere that may or may not be suitable for an 80 series????

My thoughts exactly. Due to all the tech talk here maybe it should be moved to chit chat or trail rides. Maybe once junk gets of eric he can clean himself up and move this post :flipoff2:

Thread post: I wish we had something rubicon-ish up here in the northwest. The trails up here are tight!!

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg163093#msg163093 date=1085433092]

We just ran a tiny bit of the trail yesterday for a warm up, and had great fun on the slabs of the Wentworth Springs approach. There was a bit of dented metal on 1 truck, and I got to strap another off a rock/pile ledge. Got out by the McKinstry trail which was easy but fun. There was still some deep snow in places. Washed off the trucks crossing Gherle Creek on the way home, then stopped in Folsom for some brews. It was a perfect 1 day run. The 80's did just fine and were ready for more, as usual.

[/quote]

So you mean to tell me after all these years, I can drive up McKinstry trail and be right in the middle of the Con? It would be fun to go up and watch you guys run, but I won't be taking the Cruiser through. How far is it from Wentworth Springs to the Spider Lake Campground?

Cary

I would settle for some trails without friggin trees to bash into everywhere!!!.
Sorry but I miss Utah wheeling.
Dave

Well :slap: me for not getting the obviously hilarious joke that everyone got. I just figured a clown midget would be funnier I guess. :flipoff2:

I made it through last summer (80s on the 'con #1) w/33" MTRs and OME (heavy) suspension (no J's). :D

With the sliders, t-case skid, ARB front and Slee rear, I made it through pretty much unscathed. No real body damage (scraped the flares a bit), but did put a nice groove in my rear driveshaft. The driveshaft wasn't a problem until the drive home -- I got a lot of vibration at 45mph. You're gonna want sliders. And a locked rear diff (at least) will make the trip much easier.

I don't think I'll be able to make the TLCA (Rubithon) trip this year (I'll try to meet the group at Rubicon Springs), but am planning on "80s on the 'con #2"

:cheers:

[quote author=cary link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg163579#msg163579 date=1085498348]
So you mean to tell me after all these years, I can drive up McKinstry trail and be right in the middle of the Con? It would be fun to go up and watch you guys run, but I won't be taking the Cruiser through. How far is it from Wentworth Springs to the Spider Lake Campground?

Cary
[/quote]

That's right. I didn't know it either, but it is a clean exit from the trail just before Walker Hill. Wentworth Springs to Spider would be a long way in time, not distance, as you would have to cover all of Walker Hill, then the Whole Little Sluice approach to get to Spider Lake. That part of the McKinstry trail is narrow and brushy, but it is easy. We met a guy driving out a jeep with a broken axle, in 2 wheel drive. Why not take the cruiser through?

Doug-glad you'll make #2.

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg163793#msg163793 date=1085510523]
Why not take the cruiser through?

[/quote]

Few Reasons:

1) Wife has taken over it as the daily driver with the Baby.
2) 1" OME lift, 32" tires, Factory Running Boards.
3) Wife is still having post tramatic stress from me tearing of the fender flair.
4) My Pathy (as much as I hate to say it) has much better Approach, Departure, and Breakover angles.

Cary

P.S. Anyone going to have room for a passenger and a Mountain bike, I could always ride in with someone and bike back out!!!!

Cary...That looks alot like the Pillsbury area in Mendocino National Forest...I recognize that rut!
John

Its actually Gusto Grade at Hollister, which was downright easy compared to Bonanza Gulch where I dropped my right front tire into the gulley and pulled the left rear tire 5 feet off the ground. All I heard was everyone gasp, was looking straight down on the ground in front of me and gassing it to get the weight back and the rear end where it should be.

Cary

SOB, I just saw the group I ran with at hollister ran their nissans through Rubicon in October 2003. A 1998 pathfinder with ARB's and an Xterra.

Cary

13 year old thread bump....

Not sure if I'll be ready to do this by this summer, but anyone else doing anything in the Sierras this year?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom