Events/Trails NorCal/FJ80's & FZJ80's on the Rubicon??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I usually just read, but I had a Rubicon trail type question for you 80 series guys. I have been thinking about getting a 80 series rig to use as a DD and family camper/rockcrawler down the line. The front solid axle, coil susp and lockers being the big selling points for me. My wife likes the safety and room for future kids and groceries so I can probably trick her into letting me get this beast.

Have many of you Northern California guys been through the Rubicon or Fordyce trails in your FJ80 or FZJ80????? Assuming you are running 3-4" of lift & 33-35" tires. My concern is with the WIDTH and size of the 80. I haven't scene to many lifted 80s up there. I have been up to the con several times but have yet to take a full size rig through. Sounds like a challenge. Are there any 80's going on the Rubithon with the TLCA??

Thanks for the input
Jeff
Sacramento

Check out slee off road.com. tehy have some shots of christo's highly modified shortbus there. or hook up iwth pismojim her on ih8mud. big norcal wagon guy.
Dave

Rubithon run 4 leaving Thursday from Ice House should have a bunch of 80's on it.

Check out the tales and pictures on Jim Brantley's most excellent website: http://www.realcruiser.com/rub80s/

There are several trail reports (one of them is mine!) and a whole lot of great photos. Most of the group got through pretty clean with just a few dings and scrapes. I think the experience inspired Sean (MTNRAT) to really build his 80, not that it wasn't built before.

Also, there will be an 80's on the Rubicon reunion the second or third weekend in August. 80con redeux

Fordyce in an 80? That would be nuts...... :eek:

You might PM NorCalDoug also. I've seen some of his pics from the Rubicon trail. IIRC his rig is lifted, slidered, trimmed (mudflaps) and probably got 33's.

:beer:
Rookie2

That Short Bus is a Bad ass 80. I was hoping to get my 40 ready for the Rubithon run in June with TLCA, but that ain't gonna happen in time, maybe next year. I would like to see a few of those 80s in action so I may have to lurk around Gatekeeper on the day you guys run. Great site & forum. Keep the pics & info coming.
Jeff

As Andy said, a group of 10 or so 80's did the Rubicon last summer, and aim to repeat this August. I was not with them on version 1, but will definitely make round 2. I have done Cadillac Hill, and Wentworth up to Walker Hill, plus Fordyce to the FIRST stream crossing (AKA the "easy" part...can't imagine what the rest must be like!) in my '96.
The truck did great, no damage. I, on the other hand, was a wreck...
I would most certainly suggest heavy armor...sliders, t-case skid-plate, rear bumper, front bumper. Probably in that order.
BTW, we're doing Wentworth again this Sunday. C'mon out and join us.
John

If those guys on the west coast can run the boobiecon in their 80's I'm sure you can as well.
duck.gif

Junk-You are invited, The Dates are August 12-15. See you there. It is only 3061 miles from New Jersey to Sacramento. Feel free to bring Mrs. Junk as long as she is a :princess:, better yet, just send Mrs. Junk with the 80 so it doesn't get damaged. :flipoff2: Confirm by PM. I won't tell the forum if you weasel out again.

After this year's Rubithon there's going to be a lot of 40 owners (and especially, their wives) wondering why they're not driving 80s.

The 60 Series guys have already switched.

As an original owner, the sentimental bond is still too strong for me to leave Knuckles at home. Fortunately, Ruby doesn't know what she's missing and is still gloating over Cruise Moab.

I'm taking my 80 on run 4. I am an absolute newbie...in the rocks anyhow....but have been working on the rig bit by bit and am sure, on run 4 with several 80 veterans I'll be good to go. It helps a lot that I am not that attached to nice paint. Hopefully I'll rip of my front stock bumper, so's I can send another payment to Slee.

4 of us (3 80's and a 40) did a small portion of the Rubicon today. You will have ample opportunity to rip anything and everything off your truck, whether you want to or not. Might as well send Christo the check now.
John

Hmmm, I'm half way to Rubicon that week. At BSA summer camp just north of Kernville. Wonder if i could sneak away for one run with a bone stock 80, absolute newbie to off-road trails?

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg162872#msg162872 date=1085415388]
Hmmm, I'm half way to Rubicon that week. At BSA summer camp just north of Kernville. Wonder if i could sneak away for one run with a bone stock 80, absolute newbie to off-road trails?
[/quote]

Make an appointment at the dealer before leaving :flipoff2:

[quote author=bull link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg162695#msg162695 date=1085380552]
How come junk hasn't moved this thread yet?? :flipoff2:
[/quote]
No reason to. The question was about the 80 being capable enough for the trail, not about finding people to go on a trail ride with.

I just figured some of those nor cal 80 owners would go along with the next batch of hummers that go up as posted in chat. :slap:

Although, hmmm, 3061 miles to wheel the rubicon fire road vs about 70 miles to Paragon. :-\ :flipoff2: I'd send Mrs. Junk, but you'd have to promise to keep her. :flipoff2:

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg162875#msg162875 date=1085415864]
Make an appointment at the dealer before leaving :flipoff2:
[/quote]

I'd only go if it was an EASY trail - or mostly to meet folks. :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg163049#msg163049 date=1085429967]
No reason to. The question was about the 80 being capable enough for the trail, not about finding people to go on a trail ride with.

I just figured some of those nor cal 80 owners would go along with the next batch of hummers that go up as posted in chat. :slap:

Although, hmmm, 3061 miles to wheel the rubicon fire road vs about 70 miles to Paragon. :-\ :flipoff2: I'd send Mrs. Junk, but you'd have to promise to keep her. :flipoff2:
[/quote]

Actually, Mike(Junk), you should go with us. I've never been to Paragon, but I have to believe wheeling in the Sierra's would be a treat. The Rubicon Trail is not impossible, it's just difficult and long. I wouldn't call it a Fire Road though, that would be asking for trouble. You are still invited if you want to come along-that's no BS.

We just ran a tiny bit of the trail yesterday for a warm up, and had great fun on the slabs of the Wentworth Springs approach. There was a bit of dented metal on 1 truck, and I got to strap another off a rock/pile ledge. Got out by the McKinstry trail which was easy but fun. There was still some deep snow in places. Washed off the trucks crossing Gherle Creek on the way home, then stopped in Folsom for some brews. It was a perfect 1 day run. The 80's did just fine and were ready for more, as usual.

For Brent-I saw a nearly stock 80 go through last year with moderate damage (2 flares, a few rocker dents, but better than expected). If you take off the running boards, install 33's and have lockers, it can be done. Feel free to come along, it would be nice to have 10 trucks or so.

Thanks Cruiserdrew. Hopefully you know I just love to give you guys grief. I'd love to get out there. It's just so dang far though.

Heck at this rate though, I can't even drive 10 miles without something else breaking on my truck. Truck will probably explode this weekend.

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=16753;start=msg163093#msg163093 date=1085433092]
For Brent-I saw a nearly stock 80 go through last year with moderate damage (2 flares, a few rocker dents, but better than expected). If you take off the running boards, install 33's and have lockers, it can be done. Feel free to come along, it would be nice to have 10 trucks or so.
[/quote]

Well, running boards come off easily enough, I've got lockers, but nary a $$ for larger tires. Guess I'll wait for a NEWBIE run somewhere close with SoCal TLCA club. I know they did something described as very easy near Ansa Borego around Thanksgiving last year.

If I got away for an afternoon/evening just to meet folks, how far is Rubicon from Kernville???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom