Non-Starting HDJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’m having some sort of electrical issue with my 1991 HDJ80. I have two fully charged batteries, and a recently installed hella starter (I’m in Germany) as of last June. Truck didn’t start for my wife last weekend, but after a push Start-it’s manual transmission- it started regularly for this week, and this morning no start. Just a clicking noise. I should also add that I have a wierd tachometer that dies When I hit the high beams.
I suppose that I should look for a solenoid or relay, next, but would appreciate any Suggestions?
thanks,
Tim

Check every single connection on both batteries and where they go, check the connections to the 24v solenoid that pairs the battery for your starter, and then look to connections on the starter

I had a similar issue with an HDJ81 I had, it turned out to be a bad wire that fed power to the starter relay.

The tacho issue definitely sounds like dirty grounds. I suggest cleaning all of them with a wire brush before replacing any parts

Couple of points: I’m terrible at all things electric, but I’m learning. I’ve checked and Cleaned the contacts on the starter solenoid, and I ha E a loud buzzing from the 12/24v switch. i dug out my multimeter, and ran the Toyota manuals (helpfully provided by another IH8Mudder) continuity test on it. It did not pass, so now have ordered another from eBay.de.
The tacho issue definitely sounds like dirty grounds. I suggest cleaning all of them with a wire brush before replacing any parts
How would I go about locating all of the grounds to clean Up?

Simple test is to crawl under and run power from the starter main(cable from battery) to the solenoid.
Betting she will start.
Next test the fusible link from battery to starter relay. If you suspect damage tap into the E and ST plugs by poking a wire connected to the positive battery post.
I did run a new wire to the starter relay via the fusible link for 24v starting and a fused wire to the ST plug with a momentary switch for bumping the starter and emergency 12v starting.

Video

So, I announce success. Thanks to the fellas who posted the ignition circuit schematics, starting relay test, and the 12/24volt relay tests. I had bad readings on the 12/24 v relay, And being in Germany, I called ADAC, Who dispatched a trained automobile mechanic to my garage to help me troubleshoot, albeit in German. He agreed that the relay was bad, and I ordered another from the United Arab emirates, they seem to have every sort of land cruiser part laying around. The parts arrived five days later, and I installed them yesterday, and still no starting. Kudos to those of you who have discussed fusible links, as those posts led to inspect my wiring for blown links, I found one, and replaced the wire, and the truck started up just like always!

Does anyone know what the purpose of the square plastic accessory block mounted inside the right front hood snugged up behind the battery tray and the air cleaner is for? The wires are marked ACC, B, and 1, with a ground. There are also three 10A fuses inside of it. It's meant to be opened, but the wires come out of a open hole in the bottom of the plastic box. Mine was full of dirt and rust, which I think contributed to some failure to start the ignition. I cleaned it out, applied battery terminal grease to the contacts, and re-placed it, and the truck started again with no problems. I should have taken a picture of it; but forgot to. Any insights?

That's for connecting extra stuff :) Just put there for your convenience, it is nice to have somewhere to connect extra lights or horn etc .

Does anyone know what the purpose of the square plastic accessory block mounted inside the right front hood

Got a pic, its always the best way to identify components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom