Non-mechanically inclined person looking to buy 100 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

I am new to land cruisers and I hear this is the best place to come for advice. Ive always loved LC's and I am now finally at a point where i can afford to buy one ( no longer in college and have a good job) I found a really nice 2002 LC with 160k mils one it. Its a one car owner and has all the service records. Well maintained and all the bells and whistles. Its going for 10k. The only thing is I know nothing about fixing or working on cars. Am I stupid to want a LC? Should i avoid buying one since i cant work on it myself? I dont want to buy one if im just going to dump money into it.

Any advice or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your time

Yes. A 20 year old LC no matter what condition it is in will need to go to a garage for work, baseline plus repairs that come up here and there. Yes the LC is a reliable and dependable vehicle but every 20 yr old car will need replacing of parts such as all the rubber parts. You will be dumping money into it and Cruiser parts aren't cheap.

For example, you'll baseline $500-1500
Timing belt - $1200
New tires - $1000
Steering rack - $1200-1500

$10k can get you some cars that are economically more sound and a decade newer. But the $10k of a Cruiser, you're buying into it's capabilities of going somewhere remote and not have to worry if it's going to break down on you, that is if it's a good conditioned LC.

Welcome to mud. These 100's are getting old. They are going to need work (unless you get lucky and the prior owner is on top of it or already done some big $$$ repairs or maintenance). Normal shops should (keyword should) be able to handle timing belt and brake flush easily since nothing special about those services. I wouldn't trust just any shop with the front wheel bearings or rear brakes (it's not hard but the parking brake adjustment is different than most cars). Steering rack and brake master cylinder are big money items. If you've driven a corolla or 4runner (my prior cars), those are chaper to own/maintain (just an example)

Yes. A 20 year old LC no matter what condition it is in will need to go to a garage for work, baseline plus repairs that come up here and there. Yes the LC is a reliable and dependable vehicle but every 20 yr old car will need replacing of parts such as all the rubber parts. You will be dumping money into it and Cruiser parts aren't cheap.

For example, you'll baseline $500-1500
Timing belt - $1200
New tires - $1000
Steering rack - $1200-1500

$10k can get you some cars that are economically more sound and a decade newer. But the $10k of a Cruiser, you're buying into it's capabilities of going somewhere remote and not have to worry if it's going to break down on you, that is if it's a good conditioned LC.
I appreciate the break down. Definitely a headaches worth of fixes there...

Welcome to mud. These 100's are getting old. They are going to need work (unless you get lucky and the prior owner is on top of it or already done some big $$$ repairs or maintenance). Normal shops should (keyword should) be able to handle timing belt and brake flush easily since nothing special about those services. I wouldn't trust just any shop with the front wheel bearings or rear brakes (it's not hard but the parking brake adjustment is different than most cars). Steering rack and brake master cylinder are big money items. If you've driven a corolla or 4runner (my prior cars), those are chaper to own/maintain (just an example)
I wish they were cheaper to fix! I love the look of the car and id love to have the car to go camping or adventuring but most likely it would be a daily driver

Also, not to scare you but the Master Cylinder unit on a 100 series is $2-3k. They go out either because master cylinder goes bad, accumulator, or booster goes bad. Unless you know what you're looking at, it's hard to track down and the recommended is to replace the entire unit. That's $3500+ parts and labour.

Most of them go out at around 180k-250k miles

Also that Cruiser lived in IL. It's overpriced and can gaurantee you there's some degree of rust to it on the underside. For 11k, would not recommend.

Also, not to scare you but the Master Cylinder unit on a 100 series is $2-3k. They go out either because master cylinder goes bad, accumulator, or booster goes bad. Unless you know what you're looking at, it's hard to track down and the recommended is to replace the entire unit. That's $3500+ parts and labour.

Most of them go out at around 180k-250k miles
Is that common?

They are great cars and I was in your position for some time, that is I could not afford one but now that I got one I love it. I do wrench on my own cars huge or small and I try to fix them my self. If you have your own garage then go for it and you will learn how to fix it, this forum has almost everything you need to know. If you do not have your own garage like me then you will have to fix everything at a friends place very hard to do trust me I know :)

They are great cars and I was in your position for some time, that is I could not afford one but now that I got one I love it. I do wrench on my own cars huge or small and I try to fix them my self. If you have your own garage then go for it and you will learn how to fix it, this forum has almost everything you need to know. If you do not have your own garage like me then you will have to fix everything at a friends place very hard to do trust me I know :)
I have a one car garage with my apartment. Im thinking about just going for it. Im young i have time to come back if its a loss right???? lol

I have a one car garage with my apartment. Im thinking about just going for it. Im young i have time to come back if its a loss right???? lol

Thats good, I was looking into changing my apartment to get a place with a garage, thats how much I like my LX :) . I do not know about loss, many here have more xp than me with these trucks maybe they can chime in. I would suggest one more thing buy one with minimum rust you will be happier and if a big ticket item breaks and you want to get rid of it some one will buy it for the parts only.

Since you are young, my biggest piece of advice is save up and buy with cash. Don't start out your career/life with a loan. Especially on a 20 year old vehicle. that $10k turns into a lot more with small dealer interest rates. Be patient. It's the hardest thing in the world and goodness knows I am not myself. Plus it will be less painful when repairs are needed if you're not throwing money into it on top of a car payment. They are great rigs and if you get one enjoy it. When it breaks fix it.

This all said not knowing your personal financial situation. If I'm way off then throw it out the door.

Since you are young, my biggest piece of advice is save up and buy with cash. Don't start out your career/life with a loan. Especially on a 20 year old vehicle. Be patient. It's the hardest thing in the world and goodness knows I am not myself. Plus it will be less painful when repairs are needed if you're not throwing money into it on top of a car payment. They are great rigs and if you get one enjoy it. When it breaks fix it.
Thankfully the cruiser im looking is 10k and with cash and trade in im only gonna need to finance less than 2k. My dad and my GFs dad both are guys who know how to work on cars to some degree so i could make it work for on my own for small things and find a good mechanic for the big things. Granted the rig im looking at is really good and had the timing belt replaced recently and has had regular oil changes and maintenance

Thankfully the cruiser im looking is 10k and with cash and trade in im only gonna need to finance less than 2k. My dad and my GFs dad both are guys who know how to work on cars to some degree so i could make it work for on my own for small things and find a good mechanic for the big things. Granted the rig im looking at is really good and had the timing belt replaced recently and has had regular oil changes and maintenance

That's awesome then. Great start. Sounds like a solid rig.

Buy it!

that is a good sounding buy on arguably the best series of cruiser made. It will be reliable above most anything at that price point. You are obviously intelligent so you have 99.9% of the needed ability to work on it plus the elders on your side for repair help. Just watch the rust like a hawk and enjoy it!

Buy it!

that is a good sounding buy on arguably the best series of cruiser made. It will be reliable above most anything at that price point. You are obviously intelligent so you have 99.9% of the needed ability to work on it plus the elders on your side for repair help. Just watch the rust like a hawk and enjoy it!
Im definitely leaning towards buying. Im going to test drive it on friday. Going to bring the old man with me too for a second opinion. I appreciate your enthusiasm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom