Noise sounds like driving on washboard at high speeds!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You'll need:
-couple of clean pieces of cloth/paper to rest the hub/rotor on
-10, 12, 14 and 17 mm sockets
-C clip plier (or some other make shift tool to spread the C clip apart for removal)
-a large channel-lock to remove the wheel bearing lock nut (unless you have the socket)
-a screwdriver/chiesel to bend the wheel bearing lock tab back
-a brass hammer or a brass drift and a regular hammer to remove the cone washers
-a can of brake parts cleaner to clean the bronze bushing
-new grease
-two packets of hand warmers when your hands get cold!

Or, you can steal a set of Aisin hubs, install them, drop the front driveshaft, lock the CDL and drive home in 2wd with no ABS!

Good luck.

alia176 said:

Or, you can steal a set of Aisin hubs, install them, drop the front driveshaft, lock the CDL and drive home in 2wd with no ABS!

Good luck.

Don't need the Aisin hubs, just take off the drive plates and tape up the hubs to keep dirt out of the bearings.

Hey guys! Thanks for the replies and tools list. Unfortunetly 2WD is not an option as I have to drive home over 3 passes and it's not unusual at all for them to close the passes or limit travel to 4WDs only.

Anyhow, it looks pretty straight foward so I'll dive in there and see whats going on.

I have no idea how this would be related, but since I put the lift on, I have been chasing rattles and shakes up and beyond the normal driveshaft and castor issues. Still all well worth it though, love the ride of the heavies and Bilstiens.

not saying it's not the spindle but did you do the u-joint before or after the lift and did you use Toyota or aftermarket u-joints? I replaced my rear u-joints less than 18 months ago and used aftermarket due to a classic "we can fix it now with these" bad decision caused by me driving way out to a driveshaft shop thinking it was a bent drive shaft and finding out it was u-joints when I got there. Since then I've lifted the truck. Started getting a vibe a month ago. Pulled the driveshaft this morning and both the nearly new u-joints are really badly shot. I figure changing the driveshaft angle after they were worn in hastened their early demise.

Ok thanks for the info. guys!!! My Lx450 just started to make the same noise. I do know I am in need of a birf job, so I'm guessing that’s the problem.

So my question is, can this problem also occur with the rear axel as well?

Thanks, Dan

Did I start an epidemic? :frown: Seems like more and more people are getting the washboard sound!

Ali

semlin said:
not saying it's not the spindle but did you do the u-joint before or after the lift and did you use Toyota or aftermarket u-joints? I replaced my rear u-joints less than 18 months ago and used aftermarket due to a classic "we can fix it now with these" bad decision caused by me driving way out to a driveshaft shop thinking it was a bent drive shaft and finding out it was u-joints when I got there. Since then I've lifted the truck. Started getting a vibe a month ago. Pulled the driveshaft this morning and both the nearly new u-joints are really badly shot. I figure changing the driveshaft angle after they were worn in hastened their early demise.

I did the u-joint just last week actually. Lifted the truck a few months ago, all was good, then the vibration started a few weeks ago, turned out to be the transfer case side front driveline u-joint. I went to a shop that only does drivelines, specified OEM joints (and the Toyota dealer is across the street). Cant say 100%, but I think it's OEM. Anyhow, that cleared up the sounds and vibrations. Traveled from Bellingham to Missoula a few days ago smoothly and now this "rumble strip" sound:frown: I am going to check to make sure all is well with the driveline again though while its in the air.

alia176 said:
Did I start an epidemic? :frown: Seems like more and more people are getting the washboard sound!

Ali

Do you have a VooDoo doll like C-Dan and what did I do to get the bad mojo?
:doh:

Any chance the cold weather could amplify the condition? Seems as though as the weather has gotten colder, more people have had this issue? I will say that it was in the 30's-mid 40's in Bellingham with no problems what-so-ever and after sitting the first night in Missoula @ -15* this all started for me. As the day warms up its made the "rummble" less often and severe.

Montana Cruiser said:
Any chance the cold weather could amplify the condition?

Absolutely. I might have been one of the first to have this problem here on MUD. It would definitely happen when it was cold out at first and then became more prevalent as time passed. The funny thing was, as I was trying to identify the problem as it was usually just a burst of noise and then quiet for the rest of the day, 3 other trucks slowly joined in and they were all '96s.

I finally got a MP3 of it and once CDan and IdahoDoug heard it they new what it was. Near the end the entire nose of the truck would vibrate violently when it was happening. The problem bushing is still in there today, so don't get too nervous about it damaging the bushing at this early stage.

Nate, I'll PM you my cell # as I just got home and will be here til next year. Call me if you havre any problems or questions.

Rick, thanks for the cell # I really appreciate you offering to be on call, but it all went smoothly. Turns out you and everyone were right, the bushing was dry. It really wasnt scraped up or anything, a little oil and a scrubbie to clean things up, greased it and all is good to go! Woo hoo!

Nate,

did both bushings look bad or just one? If just one, which one?

Ali

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom