No garage...realistic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure if this can be the right section of the forums for this question, but just wanting some feedback.

I've had the itch the past year or so to get back into an FJ40 after selling mine about 10 years ago. I finally have the budget to make a purchase again, however the new house I am in does not have a garage.

Do you think its unrealistic to get a 40 without a garage? I have shed space for tools, equipment, etc. just no where to keep it covered and out of the rain. Im sure there are some MUD members that cant keep their's garage kept. I guess renting a storage space locally to park it in is always an option, rather inconvenient.

Would it be destined to collect rust sitting unprotected? Any protective measures? Vinyl car cover?

Let me know your thoughts!

They make canvas type garages on steel beams, normally sides don't go all the way down to the ground, sure some Mud guys will post up photos of this type shelter???

Not sure if this can be the right section of the forums for this question, but just wanting some feedback.

I've had the itch the past year or so to get back into an FJ40 after selling mine about 10 years ago. I finally have the budget to make a purchase again, however the new house I am in does not have a garage.

Do you think its unrealistic to get a 40 without a garage? I have shed space for tools, equipment, etc. just no where to keep it covered and out of the rain. Im sure there are some MUD members that cant keep their's garage kept. I guess renting a storage space locally to park it in is always an option, rather inconvenient.

Would it be destined to collect rust sitting unprotected? Any protective measures? Vinyl car cover?

Let me know your thoughts!

In your climate yes unless you want a hanger queen. Those assembled enclosures are good but make sure it has a lot of ventilation and check under the floor mats frequently.

In my mind, it depends on how much work you'll need to do to the 40. If you have a paved / concrete driveway that will make a stable base for jacking the truck up, and you're not planning a tear down or major work, I bet you'd be OK.

A vinyl / metal car port would be a great step towards protecting the truck.

If you have to leave it out in the weather, I'd recommend pulling out any carpet in the truck, so you don't have moisture getting trapped and rotting things.

I guess the other question is about theft: my brother lives in Austin, and got a trailer ripped off from his place, even though it was shackled and chained. Battery-powered grinder and cut-off disc, he thinks.

The truck doesn’t complain. I guess it depends if you are trying to do a restoration or just drive it. There are precautions you can take; this thread is a good read Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks

AE3F78AA-DF13-4E19-B94E-7D1B88D9580E.jpeg

I just swapped engines, outside on an earthen driveway. We get 8 to 12 inches of precipitation a year. Freezing climates isn't that nice thing for ice to form in seams like between the rocker panels and running boards. I have a hard top. I wish that I had a place for using power tools that captures sound and isn't a plywood (flammable) structure. Lacking infrastructure increases the build-effort.

Whatever, someone has done it with less, get the 40.

I never keep any of my vehicles outside. The sun rots them or the moisture rusts them. It's just the way I am, it doesn't make me right.
I'm also one of those preservation vehicle types, that might explain it.

On a side note, it always amazes me when I see a $40K Audi parked outside. When the resident of the house opens the garage door, all you see is old worthless furniture and dirty mattresses. Oh' ya'......that makes perfect sense.

Snow........isn't that something that goes in a cone?

Do ya really think that garages were part of the equation when the '40 series were designed? Seems almost sacrilegious to me to keep one trapped in a box.

Mark...

Go for it. I’ve done a V8 conversion, frame swap, tub rebuild, hardtop reconstruction, and an engine swap in the driveway in a wet climate. It has also lived outside in the rain for 24 of the 26 years I’ve owned it. I’m hoping to clean up the garage and finish the tub reconstruct and repaint the cowl soon. Even painting a rig can be done outside.

Given a choice I prefer to work outside. More space, fresh air, better light... rain isn’t that big a problem... snow does leave rust spots though.

This reminds me of that time I first installed a hard top on my lifted '73 40; I wondered if I would have to modify the door frame on my landlord's swing-out-doors garage just to get the fiberglass necessary clearance.

Unless you have a "real" shop, most garages are too small and low-ceiling'd to work on a 4x4 in. Some interior space to do jobs like engine/trans/t-case rebuilds or to set up diffs is nice. That and a nice, level paved place to do other work on. When I was a teen, my dad and I built a Chevy 4x4 truck in the driveway using 4-5 parts trucks...in Montana, all outside.

I have a 40×40 and a 50X60 shop. I do all but big projects outside. I was working on my 62 today outside. This is taking place in Oregon.
If you want it, make it happen.

Where do you think the term shade tree mechanic came from?
There have been many an engine pulled and installed with the aid of a pulley on a tree limb.

There has hardly been a time when I haven't had a garage of some kind so I guess I am spoiled.

One time I was with out a garage was when I was technically homeless in 1973 N. E. of Sacramento Ca. and a wheel bearing started growling.

The little guy on the left is my son when he was a year and a half old.
He is bigger now and more help than back then.
He helped me build my 30X40 garage about 20 years ago.
bearing.jpg

I've lost count on how many motors and transmissions I've swapped without a garage or even pavement for that matter. The most difficult was a Cummins swap into a '92 F250. Engine cranes do not roll well on gravel with a heavy diesel motor hanging on the hook...

Buy the 40 and enjoy the journey.

Nick

IMG_20180910_140727.jpg

I didn't really know that I could do it, until I actually did it, (above).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom