No garage...realistic? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I converted a carport into a covered space with a concrete pad with sliding barn doors on the sides to let in plenty of daylight. Added an insulated unheated garage space attached on the back for tools etc.

757154BA-048A-4872-BED8-158980B885E0.jpeg
5424C120-29A5-494F-B2B0-C2E55BB856F8.jpeg
89BFFDC5-4F59-40F9-BE24-1AD842057DEA.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback all! I will continue to pursue a purchase, hoping to find my next one soon.

Also, for the theft comments...I was thinking I will look into getting a steering wheel lock. Anyone know how effective they are?

Thanks for the feedback all! I will continue to pursue a purchase, hoping to find my next one soon.

Also, for the theft comments...I was thinking I will look into getting a steering wheel lock. Anyone know how effective they are?

No lock is 100% effective. They are a great deterrent to keep joyriders at bay. The best steering wheel lock I'm aware of locked around the wheel at one point and had a 120 DB siren built into it to make some noise.

Engine kill, pager, noise maker... it all depends on your neighborhood and how good your insurance policy is.

Theft isn't likely where I am, but I still have a fuel shutoff, ignition kill, and a Kryptonite lock with a 5/8" cable through the wheel and around the front hoop. It is also less than 3' from the house and 10' from my bedroom window. My dog is also fond of it and usually makes a racket if anyone comes up the driveway after dark. The reason for the precautions (even though I know others who don't ever lock their 40) is that I'd be lucky if I could get a running 40 out of the insurance company even after a huge battle... such crooks.

Here’s a couple theft deterrent threads.

Kill switch

Do a vintage one ....
Battery master switch

Bosch Automotive Battery Disconnect Switches - 100 amps Continuous Amp Rating - No Includes Magneto Disconnect
... protect vehicles against tampering, theft and battery drain.
Switches protect vehicles against tampering, theft and battery drain.
Used on all vehicle electrical systems such as heavy truck, off-road, construction, emergency vehicles, material handling, refuse collection, mining, agricultural or marine applications.

DSC01724.JPG

Last edited:
I have mine in a carport currently. Its keeps the majority of the sun from beating on it which helps reduce aging of paint and rubber/plastic pieces but makes it quick and easy to hop in and drive. I also kept mine under a high qauality custom car cover for 10 years which worked well, but I had to replace the car cover about every 3 years. The other nice thing about the car port is I always park nose in, and at night the carport provides shade from any light which helps hide the 40 so its not too obvious. I have taken a lot of anti car theft measures, and if stolen or attempted to be stolen someone will have a rude awakening. But if they were successful, I would probably be done with fj40s all together and take the insurance money.

A quality car cover would go a long way to keeping the FJ40 cooler, less sun-fried, and help your rain gutter caulk stay alive. I would put some kind of cover on a truck outside. Rainwater management is not a strong suit of old Toyotas.

Vinyl car cover?

Let me know your thoughts!
My small budget PVC Garage (at last summer):
AB2F5FE1-4930-4F84-B2D5-B99DAADB549B.jpeg

BC712E09-F969-4497-8CC3-E9039082D781.jpeg

I have 5kW+2.5kW heaters there and some insulation on the walls, it’s quite good place to fix my BJ42 even now at winter (24°F).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom