No D Light, how to get brittle PRNDL cluster out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've spent a fair bit of time searching on this. I've read several threads discussing the infamous D light, dash disassembly, and even mention of how easy it is to break the PRNDL cluster, but I haven't seen anyone suggest how to remove it without breaking it.

The best explanation was tech_dog's:

Here's the gear indicator, removed by squeezing its three locking tabs. To the right is a side shot showing the "D" light removed.

Well, I've been trying that and so far one locking tab has broken, and I've got two small cracks in the PRNDL lip where I've tried to apply a bit of force to separate it from the gauge cluster. Any tips? It's almost like there's adhesive holding it in, but there's no residue and no sign of anyone having ever gotten in there before me.

I've spent a fair bit of time searching on this. I've read several threads discussing the infamous D light, dash disassembly, and even mention of how easy it is to break the PRNDL cluster, but I haven't seen anyone suggest how to remove it without breaking it.

The best explanation was tech_dog's:

Well, I've been trying that and so far one locking tab has broken, and I've got two small cracks in the PRNDL lip where I've tried to apply a bit of force to separate it from the gauge cluster. Any tips? It's almost like there's adhesive holding it in, but there's no residue and no sign of anyone having ever gotten in there before me.
Not terribly helpful but... Mine never worked, kinda like it that way. If there's a light on, it's a heads-up that I'm not in Drive.

Mine came out pretty easy. I used one hand to release the lower clip and middle clip (on opposite side) and pryed up a little on the bottom to keep those clips from snapping back into place and then released the upper clip and prayed up on top.

The issue I had with this job was that I thought I had two lights out (P and D) but realized I had three lights out, those two plus the top one which provides general illumination.

Mine was really tough the first time. The plastic must start to stick to itself after a couple decades or something. Even with the tabs pressed back it felt very stuck.. but.. mine wasn't disintegrating like it sounds yours is.

Another guy who pulled it here.
Used picks to hold 2 tabs slightly open and third hand to push tab and pull, wiggle it out.
D, P, and R light bulbs were out. Plus the shift indicator is a bit off and bulb burned out too so had to do something.
Maybe try some electric contact cleaner.

Last edited:
Bought my 80 recently and the D light wasn't working. I read somewhere else on the forum that someone smacked their dash really hard and the D light came back on. Figure I'd try this first before taking anything apart and it worked!

Warm it up with a hair dryer? Might help soften it a bit.

My D light went out after 20 years and I realized how nice it is not to have that green light in my eyes while night driving.
If I'm not sure what gear I'm in I look down at the lit up shifter panel. It has the D light on it too.

devo

Okay, I got it out! This time I used a smaller screwdriver and tried gently prying up from both the top and the bottom sides. It began to slooooowly move.

I think my mistake was in using a larger screwdriver and a twisting motion. That probably put too much force along the outer edge of the lip. When I used the smaller screwdriver, I was able to push it all the way in to the end of the lip. I was surprised at how slowly it moved out. Maybe 1/16" inch at a time at first. It seems to be a very snug fit top and bottom.

My D light went out after 20 years and I realized how nice it is not to have that green light in my eyes while night driving.
If I'm not sure what gear I'm in I look down at the lit up shifter panel. It has the D light on it too.

devo
You mean beside the shifter itself? That's supposed to light up??? Who knew? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom