craigslist Nice 1979 FJ40 in Portland. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi All, I'm new here (just a couple of hours new :) Happy to have finally join!! I've been an observer for quite some time.

Today I've taken what I hope is my first step towards owning a FJ40 (after a lot of learning and as it looks like, a lot of saving!!)

I'm trying to learn which of the amazing FJ's will do a great first candidate to own and I thought why not to start from the top? I hope the owner don't get mad for posting this here and if anything will help him get her sold.

Here is this really nice one in craigslist in Portland and it would be great to hear what you guys think.

1979 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser

All the Best,
Nick40 :)

I think you need to be able to document the miles. it's had the seat recovered, the original mats are not there, the roll bar is...well, what it is. No PS that I can see and body has been cut for flares. I'd say high 20's max. Lastly someone just flagged it so you may have created your own competition by posting a link to it. Hope not.

Not sure why the ad would be deleted... 35k cruiser ads tend to linger for quite awhile, at least where I live they do.

Hi Overton and thanks for replying! You're one of the ones I follow to see what you say and see on the 40's posted here so I'm glad you comment on this one!
Yes, my untrained eye was suspicious about the flares and roll bar (I might be getting into a trouble here but still don't understand why you would need or want one of those to drive around, I get it for a crawler but not on a restoration one)
My goal is to get one to enjoy what it was at the time that leaved the factory, a time capsule as they call it.
I want to use it as a "car" that encourage and remind me to live slower and with less and just the necessary so not so kind on adding stuff for what I want intended to use it for.
Prices are a different thing, care, love and preservation are hard to price so I'm willing to learn, wait, save and eventually pay for a 40 that it's worth it. But it's a hard thing to learn with prices being all over the place unfortunately so very thankful for all the coments and observations of those who have dedicated a ton of time and can distinguish good from great like you.
Much appreciated you take the time to let me know your thoughts!

Post exactly what your looking for. Lots of good folks here very willing to help! Overton always has a line on something. If he doesn't someone does. Good luck with your search. Living slower while driving a 40 is really all you can do!!! Enjoy!

Hahaha!! Thanks greenbeast! I know, and it's much appreciated all the help since I will base my judgement on what to buy almost entirely in what you guys think. Should I start a new post in wanted? Or should I post here?

Nick
I would start a new one, just place tab "Wanted" then what year your looking for, everyone knows 79+ is the best!!!!!!!
I bet you will get some contacts. Good luck and keep us posted Also might PM someone if you have questions or concerns about one. Although most are honest here and would honor your request, occasionally a seedy low life who will buy it out from under you gets through the scum filter.
J

First, major decision you must make, Weedhopper, is "square bezel, or cool, rounded bezel?" :cool:

Hahaha!! Good one SW20!
No seriously, Yes, Major Major Decision!! I get a twitchy eye thinking about it and I don't know if I can answer it yet!! ... ok, I know this could be one of the most controversial questions anyone can ask, but cover under my new and shiny shield of rookie ignorance I dare to ask it...
To many of you (if not to all) this will sound like "So, what do you think about sex change surgery guys?" So here it goes, Can you swap the bezels?

Hahaha!! Good one SW20!
No seriously, Yes, Major Major Decision!! I get a twitchy eye thinking about it and I don't know if I can answer it yet!! ... ok, I know this could be one of the most controversial questions anyone can ask, but cover under my new and shiny shield of rookie ignorance I dare to ask it...
To many of you (if not to all) this will sound like "So, what do you think about sex change surgery guys?" So here it goes, Can you swap the bezels?

Nick,

I suggest you go out and test drive some vehicles. Try different years to see what you like and don't like (they all look similar, but there are differences). I prefer the square bezel vehicles because stock, they have 3.70 gears for highway use, and is a tad bit more quieter and refined (not much). I have been driving my 1979 for a while now and have no regrets (I don't offroad much).

Thanks SW20!! That's a really good point. I always searching for some nearby to try but is not as easy as I thought.
I'm leaning towards a 1978 and newer (still reading the forum and there is a lot to read) but ambulance doors, f2 engine and power steering+disc brakes seem what you need for the type of use I think of that is driving around and a little off road here and there. now I'll add 3.70 gears to the list. I've read that Power steering and brakes are consider easy upgrades if they don't come as factory options so those are not must on my list.
No rust seems to be the determining factor since I won't be able to fix that without going through a major overhaul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom