For Sale NFS (yet) Value in US Market (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking to hear opinions, evidence, and get better info on the value of one of these BJ pickups if sold in the US market? Interest, places to sell one, etc...?

1992. 5 speed. 702 diesel, 61,000 original miles. Should have AC as well

A little background on me. I started importing vintage VW's (a few shown) several years ago and have had my eye on these since they are just so cool and I have always wanted an FJ (currently have a 100 series with 315,000 as our daily for 14 years).

I don't necessarily need help or advice on importing laws or which years qualify etc... I know that generally 1996 and earlier diesel are fairly straightforward to import. However I love a good discussion on the merits and value of the cars I want to bring in and maybe can't officially afford to keep for myself just yet. Yes, I have seen the classic imports site.

FJpickup.jpg

20170318_102228.jpg

IMG-20170316-WA0017.jpg

20170417_184935.jpg

Well cost is about 17k on the Bandi, under 5k for the Brasilia. Brazil's economy is in the sh!tter so if you paid more than that you didn't play your cards right. US value? Not sure. There is a guy in Atlanta that has been importing Bandi's for a few years now. Last I checked he's priced in at the low 30s/high 20s but I've seen the same rigs for sale so I think it's fair to say they are not moving. No clue on the Brasilia's value.

As long as there is strong apprehension about imports from South America the US values will be held down. Based on the forums and posts I've seen here the group in general steers clear of these imports, further limiting an already small market, IMHO.

Well cost is about 17k on the Bandi, under 5k for the Brasilia. Brazil's economy is in the sh!tter so if you paid more than that you didn't play your cards right. US value? Not sure. There is a guy in Atlanta that has been importing Bandi's for a few years now. Last I checked he's priced in at the low 30s/high 20s but I've seen the same rigs for sale so I think it's fair to say they are not moving. No clue on the Brasilia's value.

I know the cost of the vehicles I was looking at market prices for the Bandeirante/BJ/FJ/OJ or whichever designation that year got.

I posted the other cars since I already import VW's and wanted to fend off the instructions I often get about how to import. That Brasilia is in my garage, and I definitely paid less ha ha.

As long as there is strong apprehension about imports from South America the US values will be held down. Based on the forums and posts I've seen here the group in general steers clear of these imports, further limiting an already small market, IMHO.

What would you say the top few points of apprehension are? For VW guys it's "not German built".

Besides the several very shady importers that have come on this forum very much misrepresenting vehicles for sale, it is fairly well know that the central american countries are great at making vehicles look good with lots of bondo and paint.
That said, I don't recall a discussion or example of any imported cruisers from Brasil.

What would you say the top few points of apprehension are? For VW guys it's "not German built".

Good question! I have never owned or looked at a South American import (at least as far as I know). Comments in these forums are often less than flattering about paint jobs or restoration work hiding problems, or features not standard to the US market ( some of the lights I believe are different).

I would probably scrutinize an import more because this seed has been planted in my head but when I really think about it, if everything is original or re-done right then there is no rational reason for an imported FJ40 to be any less functional or of lower quality than a vehicle built for this market from the get go.

I know that generally 1996 and earlier diesel are fairly straightforward to import.

I learned something new. I though the rule in the US was 25 years...is it 20 for diesels?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom