Newbie - Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to this forum but not to Cruisers. Have owned a 60 since 1982, an 80 since 1997 (both still running well) and recently purchased my first 40 - a white 1977, previous owner did a mostly complete frame off restoration. Believe originally from Costa Rica. I’ve updated the tires from Chinese to BFG Mud Terrain, added heat, switched to LED headlights, added fog lights. I’ll post some pics as I figure out how.

Here’s where I need some advice: It has a 60/40 split front seat in good condition. But passenger side has limited leg room as it’s about 6 inches forward compared to drivers seat and also A/C under dash. I am 6’3 and my wife is 6’. How hard to switch to buckets with center console and more leg room? Would prefer maintaining seat frame. I can’t cut and weld and don’t want to drill more holes if I don’t need to. What are the best options?

A605FB54-51C1-473F-911D-75C0FE98B673.jpeg
CDC1F841-DEB1-4F91-BCDA-DF94414C6A5C.jpeg
BBD1FAD2-EB8E-4731-8305-C39957C482D7.jpeg

First off, great looking cruiser. I haven't really heard of the 'newer' (I use that term loosely) having the full bench up front. I've always thought of that as an older style cruiser thing. I'm not quite as tall as you, but I have the same problem in cruisers. They were built for shorter than 5'8" people. I know Corbeau makes a seat bracket with sliders and it will fit any of their seats: Corbeau Seat Brackets FJ40, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, FJ80, BJ 1970-1998. If you have an earlier style bench up front, you may need to order a separate style to fit the existing brackets. I'm not sure if Corbeau is still making the sliders because I can't find them on their website, but Cruiser Corps seems to still have them.

I know that you will usually increase the hight you sit in if you go with a bucket, that's what happened to me. I moved the seats back about 3"-4" when I switched to newer suspension seats in my white 40. It really helped with being able to drive more comfortably, but with the siders and new seats, you got raised up about 1-2 inches. However, a tall person could probably fit in there and drive much more easily.

Anyways, we love pictures here, so post them up! I hope this helped.

First off, great looking cruiser. I haven't really heard of the 'newer' (I use that term loosely) having the full bench up front. I've always thought of that as an older style cruiser thing. I'm not quite as tall as you, but I have the same problem in cruisers. They were built for shorter than 5'8" people. I know Corbeau makes a seat bracket with sliders and it will fit any of their seats: Corbeau Seat Brackets FJ40, FJ55, FJ60, FJ62, FJ80, BJ 1970-1998. If you have an earlier style bench up front, you may need to order a separate style to fit the existing brackets. I'm not sure if Corbeau is still making the sliders because I can't find them on their website, but Cruiser Corps seems to still have them.

I know that you will usually increase the hight you sit in if you go with a bucket, that's what happened to me. I moved the seats back about 3"-4" when I switched to newer suspension seats in my white 40. It really helped with being able to drive more comfortably, but with the siders and new seats, you got raised up about 1-2 inches. However, a tall person could probably fit in there and drive much more easily.

Anyways, we love pictures here, so post them up! I hope this helped.
very helpful, thank you. I don’t think the additional height would be a problem, seem to have plenty of headroom. I’ll research this option. Thanks!

very helpful, thank you. I don’t think the additional height would be a problem, seem to have plenty of headroom. I’ll research this option. Thanks!

Not a problem. It should be a simple swap after you decide what to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom