Newbie -1995 tailgate stuck in closed position - how do I open it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you climb in from the front and unlock it and use the inside latch to open? Just a thought incase the lock mechanism isn't working.

I tried from the inside without success. It seems like something is disconnected inside the tailgate.

Thanks for the link! Loads of information on how to solve my issue. I search many times before posting this question and every time I searched about locked tailgait, I got 75+ pages of topics about Tailgare storage

The other thing that often happens is that the key to your vehicle wears out over time and stops engaging the lock - like you have the wrong key. Any toyota dealership can print you a new key from your vin number if you bring proof of ownership. It costs about $30 or so. It might not be a bad idea to print a spare key anyway. I almost got stuck when my key stopped working to turn the ignition. I was able to jiggle the key enough to get it to turn but it would take 10 or so minutes of trying. New key fixed it.

Thanks for the link! Loads of information on how to solve my issue. I search many times before posting this question and every time I searched about locked tailgait, I got 75+ pages of topics about Tailgare storage

Did you get it fixed?

I was able to get the latch working, almost by accident found the solution. I was operating the latch while watching the inner workings and there was a bit that looked like it should move but was staying stationary. I pushed on that bit and it easily moved to the right. Upon the bit moving to the right, it started moving when I operated the latch! Bit in left position latch not work, bit in right position functions properly from inside and outside. Now only issue is that electric lock not working, but inside push lock working and exterior key locks and unlocks.

First photo shows that bit in left position with latch not working.

IMG_1185.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom