New Thule Trailer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Sir Velo I never got a notification that you responded back on this thread so my apologies for not getting back with you earlier. The A FRAME bracket is a Brenderup accessory that is used to strengthen the A frame especially when you utilize a trailer jack. I added mainly to strengthen the frame a bit more up front. Here is a link to it: Brenderup jockey wheel brace for 1000, 2000 Series - TrailerTek

I also was busy this weekend on prepping the trailer for this summer’s adventures. I added the rear stabilization legs by running a piece of Unistrut across the back within the frame and then bolted both stabilizers to it. Kids can climb all over the trailer now with no worry of it flipping up.
8D23D46D-8633-4A44-8F84-F967359175ED.jpeg

381718A0-AA60-4653-BF26-0ED4636BD0F6.jpeg

I then added a spare tire mount under the front A frame. Utilized the UniStrut for it also:
5BA0E4EB-9EAC-41AD-9EB0-84228DB81DE1.jpeg

E28C1B1A-1948-4F6E-9142-80B7FCAE7A58.jpeg

The last thing I’d like to do is replace the floor with an aluminum diamond plate floor. Looking at about $300 for the 4x7 piece. 😢

Word of caution with Thule. Their products use a lock core that lets you buy a key for $5 for it. Some of their lock cores even have the key # ON the lock core seen to the entire world. I had a Thule T2 Pro XT and T2 Pro XT add-on (so I could carry 4 bikes) stolen right off my hitch in my driveway one night. It was locked to my hitch using the Thule hitch lock and lock core. What I realized later is that there is a Thule dealer 15 minutes from my house that sells all the keys and lists all the number for the keys on their Web site, for $5 / key. When I contacted Thule, their response was "we don't recommend you leave your Thule products on the vehicle"... WTF is the point of a lock if you can't trust it at all? My rack was heavy... like, typically a 2 person job to lift and mount it.

DO NOT trust Thule locks to secure your items.

Not quite sure what this comment has to do with this trailer thread. These trailers are made by Brenderup out of Europe and were merely imported into the US by Thule. There are no Thule parts on this trailer...including the lock core. The lock on the lid is not a Thule lock and there is no key code stamped to the lock core or the key itself.

BTW what is described above regarding the key code stamps on the lock core is applicable to Yakima as well.

@Sir Velo I never got a notification that you responded back on this thread so my apologies for not getting back with you earlier. The A FRAME bracket is a Brenderup accessory that is used to strengthen the A frame especially when you utilize a trailer jack. I added mainly to strengthen the frame a bit more up front. Here is a link to it: Brenderup jockey wheel brace for 1000, 2000 Series - TrailerTek

I also was busy this weekend on prepping the trailer for this summer’s adventures. I added the rear stabilization legs by running a piece of Unistrut across the back within the frame and then bolted both stabilizers to it. Kids can climb all over the trailer now with no worry of it flipping up.
View attachment 1987680
View attachment 1987681

I then added a spare tire mount under the front A frame. Utilized the UniStrut for it also:
View attachment 1987683

View attachment 1987684

The last thing I’d like to do is replace the floor with an aluminum diamond plate floor. Looking at about $300 for the 4x7 piece. 😢

Dude, that spare carrier is HOT!

Yeah, I forgot myself to look at this thread. I love what you've done to the little trailer. I'll just bring the jackstands like I have before to keep it from tipping back.

Today I spent a few hours sorting out the axle nuts. I never was happy with the stake type that I had to reuse because I wasn't able to find any in time in past years. Well I found some but I don't possess the correct tools to properly stake them, so I drilled through the nuts and used a cotter pin to secure.

So let me ask you, why don't you have gobs of cobwebs on that thing? lol

Not quite sure what this comment has to do with this trailer thread. These trailers are made by Brenderup out of Europe and were merely imported into the US by Thule. There are no Thule parts on this trailer...including the lock core. The lock on the lid is not a Thule lock and there is no key code stamped to the lock core or the key itself.

BTW what is described above regarding the key code stamps on the lock core is applicable to Yakima as well.

The lock on my 1205 fell apart durning my last trip. The lock core and handle are lying on some backwoods road. Any idea where to get a replacement. None of the ones that I’ve found post to US

@Whisper327 trailertek.com used to sell them as there is where I purchased my spare but looks like they no longer do. you many want to try contacting them asking if they can get the following:

BF479 - "Locking Hook for Brenderup ABS Lid"
BF33059 - "Lock for Brenderup ABS lid"

@Sir Velo took two major trips with the trailer so far this summer with the new lift and tires added and it performed beautifully. First trip was a long haul (10 hours) from San Jose, CA to Sunriver, OR. Trailer was fully loaded with the bikes on the rack:

EF1284A6-8314-4190-A484-E51BA2DD87FF.jpeg

Then it was a camp trip to the King's River east of Fresno (4 hours from San Jose) and this had some light dirt trails where the trailer performed excellent:
0B13959B-97FB-4B58-AB43-50E0141B0BEA.jpeg

Last edited:
So let me ask you, why don't you have gobs of cobwebs on that thing? lol

Hahaha...I cover it with a 12x12 "finished size" tarp. I'll snap a pic when I get the tarp back on this weekend. Here is the 12x12 tarp I'm using as they are tuff to finded in a finished true 12x12 size:
Amazon product ASIN B0009Q28GE.

I also wash it any time I'm washing the cars since its so quick to do

Niceee. I love Cruisers, obviously. But I wouldn't turn down one of those LR3's. I know a lot of people will hate on LR products, which is what it is but they're still on my list.

Yeah LR has a bad wrap from the generation prior to the LR3 from an electrical and engine quality perspective. My LR3 is a 2008 with 63K miles and it's been rock solid. I know a lot of guys with well over 100K and again no issues.

I'm selling the trailer that started this thread 12 years ago. I have it listed in the Classified Section. I have been away from the forum for many years, and I'm amazed to see 16 pages of content and 143K views. For all those that have posted and shared cool ideas and builds for these small, unique, and amazing trailers.. thank you.

I'm selling the trailer that started this thread 12 years ago. I have it listed in the Classified Section. I have been away from the forum for many years, and I'm amazed to see 16 pages of content and 143K views. For all those that have posted and shared cool ideas and builds for these small, unique, and amazing trailers.. thank you.

@VA Runner Wow awesome to see the Thule Trailer OG back! It’s like being in the presence of The Godfather. Hats off to you for starting this thread so many years ago as it’s grown into THE information center for these trailers. Your trailer looks to be in fantastic condition still and wish you the best of luck with the sale. Be sure to point the new owner to this thread when it sells!

BTW - I suggest linking to this thread in your for sale ad so folks can get a sense of what’s possible with these trailers

@VA Runner Wow awesome to see the Thule Trailer OG back! It’s like being in the presence of The Godfather. Hats off to you for starting this thread so many years ago as it’s grown into THE information center for these trailers. Your trailer looks to be in fantastic condition still and wish you the best of luck with the sale. Be sure to point the new owner to this thread when it sells!

BTW - I suggest linking to this thread in your for sale ad so folks can get a sense of what’s possible with these trailers
perkj - thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely put that link in the classified ad. Awesome job on your Thule Trailer, the wheels/tires, the lift, stabilizers, the rack... well done!

@perkj We may have crossed paths at some point lol
We headed up on July 21st to Yosemite from the western approach and sped on through Fresno as I was running behind due to a late start :mad: Naturally we had to set up camp in the dark. Maiden voyage for the Kia Sorento, pulled it well and at warp speed, though the AWD wasn't put to good use as the SiL wanted to forge those trails in her Cherokee ;) Spent a week there and then headed to Mammoth were we stayed at Twin Lakes. Balled the jack on the way home fully loaded and all systems did as they were asked.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

Whoa! I had figured the OP would probably never come back to this thread. A big thanks to you for starting this thread. It’s been a tremendous thread filled with resources/ideas. Are you in Redding, CT? I have a home in Ridgefield, CT! I had thought you were in Virginia based on your trailer’s license plate. I am currently living Japan (temporarily) but it would have been cool to see someone else with this trailer. They are rare but always leave a great impression on fellow outdoor enthusiasts. Especially those with families. Your trailer still has those stickers on the lid and if I do see it on Route 7 someday, I’ll know it was yours!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom