New snow in the San Gabriels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
DSC00397.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

[
DSC00381.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

DSC00372.jpg

DSC00371.jpg

DSC00370.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!!!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmm fresh powder. Scott, Did you hike up or drive? Don't see any Voodoo Blue tracks. ;)

Nice. That's about what San Jacinto looked like last time I climbed it. Not having the right boots for snow brought out the little girl in me:rolleyes:

Nice!!!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmm fresh powder. Scott, Did you hike up or drive? Don't see any Voodoo Blue tracks. ;)

Scott you are tuning in to quite the mountaineer. Nice job buddy, hella jealous.

Nice. That's about what San Jacinto looked like last time I climbed it. Not having the right boots for snow brought out the little girl in me:rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments guys. The pictures at the top are deceiving, it was blowing 20-30mph and there were just a couple of places to hide out for a short rest before the descent. The wind was blowing so hard that all the leewards trails were knee deep drifts. I needed showshoes one minute and crampons the next. Post holing through the deep snow is good for the quads though and besides the wind the weather was incredibly serene. Next weekend I am doing a 15 mile 2 day XC of Coyote Canyon, Alcoholic Pass, Box and Butler Canyons. The guy who did the write up below is 61 years old and regularly does 20-25 XC hikes in a day. I'll do a little wheelin' too, just to wipe the cob webs of the old FJ.

Coyote Canyon Alcoholic Pass XC Trip.jpg
Coyote Canyon Alcoholic Pass XC Trip.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

Now we're talking. You want to meet up for a Mt Baldy hike/climb up the bowl this winter? My schedule is pretty crazy, but sometime in Jan/Feb we could rock a weekend day-trip up there. Let me know if you're interested.

Nice!

Now we're talking. You want to meet up for a Mt Baldy hike/climb up the bowl this winter? My schedule is pretty crazy, but sometime in Jan/Feb we could rock a weekend day-trip up there. Let me know if you're interested.

Absolutely! I bought a used MLD Grace Solo cuben fiber tarp and have spent a few nights on Cucamonga with it. Also picked up an ice axe, just need some real world training to go with it. Frank may be up for a day trip to Baldy, hopefully an over nighter.

Last edited:
Absolutely! I bought a used MLD Grace Solo cuben fiber tarp and have spent a few nights on Cucamonga with it. Also picked up an ice axe, just need some real world training to go with it. Frank may be up for a day trip to Baldy, hopefully an over nighter.

Sounds like a plan, but only a day-trip only for me. Baldy bowl is a good place to practice self arrest technique, so we'll spend some time doing that before we head up. The devils backbone is AWESOME in the winter. You will love it. Its like hiking, with adrenaline :D

Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

Way to keep after it Scott, you're putting in a lot of miles and building some great experience.

Sounds like a plan, but only a day-trip only for me. Baldy bowl is a good place to practice self arrest technique, so we'll spend some time doing that before we head up. The devils backbone is AWESOME in the winter. You will love it. Its like hiking, with adrenaline :D

Cool, I'm looking forward to it!

Way to keep after it Scott, you're putting in a lot of miles and building some great experience.

Thanks B. Can you make it this weekend or is next Saturday better?

Scott,

No can do, I wont be around until after the new year. Looks like Sunday's will be the day for me though, starting Sunday Jan 8th. Hopefully we can figure something out. In the mean time, enjoy, but dont forget to use your ice axe and crampons. Trekking poles are no substitute. Stay safe. :beer:

Scott, I can't do this weekend but should be able to do the weekend of the 17-18th...
Day hike..

Let me know....

BTW.... since you will be on snow country this winter check out "freedom of the hills" if you havent already.. lots of good info on that book... !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom