New RTT prototypes are being built! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
I like to drive across country a few times a year and explore the desert and hit the technical rocky stuff. I have always wanted a RTT but didn’t like two things about them...the extra weight up top (since I do like some technical stuff) and the height and the extra drag when driving across country. I never bought a RTT because of these issues. Since there wasn’t one on the market that fit the bill (Campteq was the best solution), three prototypes of a design by a friend of mine are being built in his basement. The closed height is a touch over 5” and the weight is going to be right at 96-100lbs . This will be perfect. I have already removed my factory rack and will be using the @TRAIL TAILOR adjustable gutter mount to attach the tent directly to the 80 with not roof rack (and the extra weight) needed. The tent will be between t
5/8” - 1” off my roof. This tent will be the lightest and most low profile tent that I have seen! I am very excited.

The first one is almost complete. Follow Terrapod Adventure Studio on Facebook for updates. Two of the three will be on white 80’s (@8cam and myself). The designer/builder will have the other one a built 4Runner.

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you anticipate being able to store any bedding inside? I'm guessing that with a closed thickness of only 5" that will be a hard no. What's insulation going to be like?

Interesting. Do you anticipate being able to store any bedding inside? I'm guessing that with a closed thickness of only 5" that will be a hard no. What's insulation going to be like?

Great question. I was very excited about being able to clear up my cargo area from the bulky sleeping bags/blankets/pillows, etc. After design work was complete, we did realize that by doing such a great job on the low profile aspect, we did have very little room for the bulky stuff if we went with a nice 2.5" - 3" foam mattress. My solution was to run the Nemo 50L inflatable pad. This way I can simply deflate when closing and there is plenty of room for the bedding. I have slept on the Nemo pads for years and love the comfort. Yes it will add an extra 45-60 seconds of setup time, but that is not a big deal to me. I have the insualted Nemo pad and the composite material does have a R Value as well, but I don't know what it would be. See how perfect the Nemo fits...

nemo.jpg

What are the tent walls made out of?

What are the tent walls made out of?

From the Terrapod Adventure Studio FB page..

Terrapod RTT: Ladies and Gents allow me to present the RTT concept that is presently on final approach. Colors shown are not exact, but are pretty dang close.

What is left to do: Awaiting the delivery of the composites. Once those arrive the tents are going to final assembly.

Dimensions:*
Length (including cowl): 92”
Width: 54”
Interior length: 87”
Interior width: 52”
Open height: approx 50”
Closed height: 5.25”
Target weight: at or below 100#

Benefits compared to others:
- Targeted to be a true lightweight alternative hard shell RTT
- Lowest usable profile
- Integrated aerodynamic profile
- Integrated electrical runs through out
- Optional mattress solutions
- Removable rainfly
- Custom fabric colors
- Fabrics: 410D poly ripstop (rainfly), main tent - polyester blend breathable high water resistant marine fabric. (Target was lightweight, abrasion resistant, waterproof / resistant, highly durable, and easy to maintain.) And .09oz no-see-um mesh.
- YKK zippers throughout

Mounting method - I am targeting using existing mounting brackets systems. Ones I like - Rhino Rack’s Backbone System (4Runner) and more. As we get closer to mounting, I will have more information.

* subject to change upon completion of prototypes.

Great design and engineering all the way around!

Yes. We have all been testing various mattresses. I personally have settled on the Exped Megan Duo. It is a hair tight but does deflate to a point where I still have my sleeping bags/blankets up there with it when the tent is closed. The designer and builder of these just got an Exped duo slim 7.5. I think that is going to be the perfect solution. It is thinner than mine but still super comfy and the dimensions are perfect. Nemo single and duo inflatables have been tested as well as 3” foam. The Exped Duo Slim 7.5 seems like the best of all by far.

from what I understand, final production model is set and production is coming!

I love my tent! It is perfect for my needs.

smitty

Thanks for the response.

I found the thread on T4R.org and read through that. Seems to meet most all of my needs.

I have a rtt currently that I got motivated to sell to buy a Roofnest Falcon. I'm definitely going to hold out for the pricing release on the Terrapod. If the price point is similar, I'll hopefully be in the first 10.

Here is his latest update on the Terrapod Facebook page from three weeks ago...

6DDA5B0B-BC0D-4AD8-8BA6-2A22091F74F0.png

I know they're not ready yet, but a ballpark on price would sure be nice!

I know he wants to get that out as soon as possible but there are some costs that haven’t been finalized yet. The main one being shop space for production. That is a big one and will obviously factor into retail price.

Regarding pricing, this is a recent post in their FB page.

D8260BD0-0257-4C32-A1D7-3A5049AEA86D.jpeg

The panel is designed to deflect. We have tested over 500lb in it and deflection was minimal. That said - we have added crossbars combined with our final mounting for added rigidity, strength and for added mounting points for accessories such as awnings, etc.

With reference to panel strength - Food for thought.

This is a hurricane rating test. The 2x4 was fired at the panel at 100mph. Zero penetration or distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom