New Paint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spdwaver

Formerly Kalifornistanian
Threads
I decided to break up the 'white wall' effect, and add a bit of contrast, while trying to avoid a black-on-white scheme; so I came up with this mockup (GIMP'd [Photoshop alternative]):

attachment.php

And, here is the final product. I used rubberized under-body coating on the flares and in the area just below the doors. I like the way the product looked after it dried, but I am not sure about longevity - especially how it will react to temperature extremes and contact with trees/brush. But, at ~$4.00 a can, I'm also not too concerned if it will last.
paint01.jpg
paint03.jpg

I suppose it would help to show it prior to painting:

attachment.php

that looks sharp as hell. I have always admired those champagne colored 80's with the gray trim. Reminds me of that. Nice job.

NICE ,what prep did you do ,anny primer?

NICE ,what prep did you do ,anny primer?

Not much in the way of prep work. I removed the flares, scuffed them up, wiped them down with mineral spirits, then sprayed them with under coating.

I sprayed under coating below the doors in the same manner as the flares.

For the body, I sanded the area down with 120, wiped it down with mineral spirits; I used electrical tape (read on this forum about using electrical tape) to create the line of separation, then used paper and masking tape to block over spray from the rest, then sprayed with rattle can (Krylon). I did not use primer, but used the base paint as the primer.

The electrical tape method worked flawlessly - creating a super-fine and prominent separation between the white- and freshly-painted surface.

This was a one-day procedure, mainly due to prep time.

For the sake of comparison, I parked almost exactly where I parked just before getting it painted - to see how closely I followed my mockup.

The top image was taken today; the bottom image was taken last month, which is the mockup. Very close; only the lack of blue in the second photo gives it much distinction.
afterpaint.jpg
cruiser_stripe02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom