New Muffler Recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace the stock and give it a little more tone. What have you guys used or recommend. I do not want it loud like hear me coming 2 blocks away.
Completely stock '06.

Depends on what you want to spend. Partsouq has OEM still available for better than any dealer, Walker makes a great cheap aftermarket muffler, Borla makes a great setup, I think Doug Thorley makes one (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) There are a few options ranging all over in price. I replaced with a Walker from O’Reilly’s for like $170 and it has been pretty nice so far. I’ve had it on for about a year and I am happy with it, bolted right on too.

Depends on what you want to spend. Partsouq has OEM still available for better than any dealer, Walker makes a great cheap aftermarket muffler, Borla makes a great setup, I think Doug Thorley makes one (someone correct me if I’m wrong.) There are a few options ranging all over in price. I replaced with a Walker from O’Reilly’s for like $170 and it has been pretty nice so far. I’ve had it on for about a year and I am happy with it, bolted right on too.
I see the Walker quiet flow SS for about $180 at O'Reilly. Is that the one you have? It seems that would be very close to the stock OEM. I'm looking to get a little more aggressive with sound level. Hard to tell from youtube videos but the Flowmaster 50 series might be closer to what I'm thinking.

I see the Walker quiet flow SS for about $180 at O'Reilly. Is that the one you have? It seems that would be very close to the stock OEM. I'm looking to get a little more aggressive with sound level. Hard to tell from youtube videos but the Flowmaster 50 series might be closer to what I'm thinking.
That will just make it a slow and loud truck =] Buy OEM and keep your cruiser , a cruiser.... Just my take.

I've installed a walker as welll, and it bolts up nicely as whitec13 shared. The next step up from there would be a magnaflow stainless muffler, and OEM toyota after that, each being significantly more expensive. The walker is not loud and my truck was slow to begin with :)

OEM via Partsouq has worked well for me.

if you want quality $$$$$$
if you want inexpensive it may last 2 years around the midwest.

Sounds like you need glass packs

I have a magnaflow stainless muffler with the factory exhaust at the back. Sound is perfect. Nice rumble at idle and when you get on it, but not loud at all. Quality has been exceptional over 5 New England winters.

Last edited:
Just got a walker muffler put on last week. $160 shipped. Super quiet compared to the old rusted OEM muffler. We’ll see how long she last.

I have a magnaflow stainless muffler with the factory exhaust at the back. Sound is perfect. Nice rumble at idle and when you get on it, but not loud at all. Quality has been exceptional over 5 New England winters.
So which magnaflow did you install? Did it bolt or weld on? I'm in SC so no worries with rust.

I have the magnaflow as well, deleted the resonator too. Shaved off about 50 lbs or so and gave myself another inch of clearence. I also had them turn the tailpipe down so it wasn't blowing on my leg when I stand at the tailgate.

Welded in place and cost about $280 parts and labor.

FYI Amazon was cheaper than my local muffler shop for getting the parts.

Last edited:
Looking to replace the stock and give it a little more tone. What have you guys used or recommend. I do not want it loud like hear me coming 2 blocks away.
Completely stock '06.
Replace the big muffler with a pipe and never look back! Sounds clean and not too loud at all.

Interesting, I would have thought that would be very loud w/o a muffler. So does the resonator dampen the sound? Not understanding.
The cats and resonator still help keep it quiet. I spent a very long time considering different magnaflow mufflers etc and settled on the straight pipe. I am 100% satisfied with the decision.

The cats and resonator still help keep it quiet. I spent a very long time considering different magnaflow mufflers etc and settled on the straight pipe. I am 100% satisfied with the decision.
I have a suspicion that before I'm done with this vehicle I will have deleted the cats so it's probably best I went with a muffler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom