New member .. need help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hellow every one ,,

This is a new member from Dubai and I’m looking for your advice and help on my car overheating.

My car is LC, 2006 model, 6 cylinder, Manual Gear, Basic Model (only front AC, Manual window, no refrigerator).

I bought it on Apr this year and till now the car is moving from garage to another without solving my problem.

My car gets heat only when I stop and the AC is on.

No heat on the highway with AC On or Off. No heat if I stop and the AC is Off.

I’ve did the following: New Fan Clutch, New water pump, New thermostat, New Radiator Cap, Changed the water with Toyota red water, I added a strong AC Fan (condenser fan), I opened the Radiator and also swap it with my friend … without any progress.

Imagine the cost incurred till now :(.

I don’t think it's the gauge, because if I switch off the AC the gauge will go down.

I don’t think my problem on the Head or Head gasket. Because the pressure on the Pipes are normal, more over no heat on the highway.

Again,, gets heat only when I stop and the AC is On. It reach to half and more.

My car is under Middle east specifications. so the car temperature should be between Quarter & Third only.

I really don’t know what should I do more,,, Looking for your feedback.

Thanks

Is this a diesel? Sounds like a radiator or fan clutch issue. So you swapped in a used radiator from your friends truck? Do you have a way to measure input and output temps on the radiator? With a laser thermometer?

I would have guessed the fan clutch would have solved it, but that's perplexing. Sorry :(

Is this a diesel? Sounds like a radiator or fan clutch issue. So you swapped in a used radiator from your friends truck? Do you have a way to measure input and output temps on the radiator? With a laser thermometer?
No .. it's gasoline.
Yes I swapped with my friend instead of paying more.
I don't know how to measure in/output temps. Would you please guide me.

I would have guessed the fan clutch would have solved it, but that's perplexing. Sorry :(
I've changed it and added AC fan in front.

I also checked the exhaust catalytic. It's fine also.

Again,, gets heat only when I stop and the AC is On. It reach to half and more.

My car is under Middle east specifications. so the car temperature should be between Quarter & Third only.

My vehicles and yours are equipped very differently, but on just about every Land Cruiser that I have owned, the temperature gauge hovers at just below 1/2 to right at 1/2.

Is the only symptom of "overheating" that the gauge is reading 1/2, and not 1/4-1/3, or is it exceeding 1/2 by a fairly large margin?

Is it getting hot enough that the AC compressor is being shut down/disabled ~220*F (~104*C)?

My 06 and my son's 00 generally operate at ~190-200*F (~87-93*C) according to OBD2 readings. What are you seeing as far as temperature readings through the OBD2 port (I am assuming that vehicles in Dubai are equipped with an OBD2 port)?

^^^ Exactly! I think @jLB hit the nail on the head. Until you know what your actual temperatures are, you may just be throwing money at a problem that doesn't exist. If no OBDII port, it might be worth it to install a digital temp gauge.

I would also look to see if the fins on the radiator and condenser are clear and allowing good air flow, maybe even remove the radiator if clogged and flush. Also make sure it is burped properly as they can be stubborn to get all air out.

I would like to thank you all for your responses .. really appreciated.

jLB .. my gauge exceeds 1/2. but I don't let it go more. Immediately I move the car .. OR .. let the RPM goes up to 2 - 2.5 for a while. Then the gauge will go slowly down.
My AC is working properly and not disabled at all. I'm so happy with it. I'll try to give you tomorrow OBD2 reading.

Julian Stead .. I removed the radiator and flushed it. I've also Changed it. But nothing changed. The condenser is (little bit) bad but it's not closed. It's not stopping the air flow. The question now if the condenser is in bad status, will not that affect the performance of the AC ??

To be honest .. I was thinking of the condenser but I'm still not convinced yet. The new condenser price is $275 + price of fixing $100 (at least ). I don't want to pay more.

The conclusion .. I don't trust the technicians and the garages we have here in Dubai.

Just for comparison, my 06 LX470 stopped in rush hour traffic (AC on high):

Temp gauge just above "level":
upload_2017-8-9_17-15-13.png

Outside temp 102*F (38.88*C)
upload_2017-8-9_17-15-42.png

Torque shows 195.8*F (91*C)
upload_2017-8-9_17-16-18.png

Last edited:
Perhaps the AC compressor is somehow failing and causing an extra load on the engine?? So, At idle, in high summer heat its enough to raise the temp.

Early signs of water pump fail? belt tensioner?

It does sound like an air flow issue, but you seem to have ruled that out. A dumb question, but... is the fan shroud there, and not busted up?

Or, you just live in a REALLY REALLY hot place :doh:

Maybe call the Toyota dealers in Phoenix and ask to speak to a master tech, its the same climate. Maybe they could suggest something.

Good luck anyway.

Ismail, I know you said you replaced the fan clutch with a new unit but I would look into it further. Some of the 80 series folks have purchased new fan clutches that weren't up to spec. Search the 80 series section for "Fan Clutch Mod (or modification)." Lots of threads.

jLB: I'm in very hot area. no doubt. It reached up to 50, real feel 55
Today temp:
d2753d68-abbf-4d4c-b838-3e1789a6ce84

upload_2017-8-10_17-57-51.png

But when I ask LC owners about their car temp they say it's hover between 1/4 & 1/3 at night & normal weather. During a day it's 1/3. It might reach up to 1/2 as maximum, in case putting the engine under pressure, AC is On, the vehicle is parked.

This is where my gauge reached when i stop with AC On at 02:00pm, where the outside temp is 46:
upload_2017-8-10_17-58-34.png

kelly saad: I was thinking of the AC compressor also, but still not sure yet.
I totally agree with you that it is an airflow issue. Because 2 days ago the temps gauge went up and I opened the engine hood to see if there is any wrong. after 2 minutes the gauge goes down. and close the engine hood to see what will happen, the gauge goes up again.

Yes, that is hot (weather temperature).

Without actual coolant temperature readings, I think you're "chasing your tail" based on hearsay.

I can guess that it's not reaching 220-225*F (104-107*C) because the AC compressor isn't cutting off, but without knowing how much below, how can you establish whether you really have a problem or not, and if you do have a problem how severe it is?

Normal temp reading

upload_2017-8-10_12-0-1.png

Last edited:
Without actual coolant temperature readings, I think you're "chasing your tail" based on hearsay.

I can guess that it's not reaching 220-225*F (104-107*C) because the AC compressor isn't cutting off,

Normal temp reading

View attachment 1514080
I can see my gauge is closer to H than yours jLB.

I checked it today,, finally.
The outside temps was 46*C, at 1:30pm.The actual coolant temp reached up to 105*C.
The AC was working. Didn't stop. But I've noticed the AC is cutting off for a seconds (AC automatic start work ) an hour before the sunset and at night.

What a mystery couldn't solve:frown::bang:

You need to find out what coolant temperature ACTUALLY is. If you can't get OBD2 reading as others have stated, perhaps a cooking thermometer and stick it in coolant at radiator with cap off idling and let it run and warm up. See what temp gets to. You may simply have bad guage or temp sender giving inaccurate reading to guage. Are there no other symptoms other than your guage reading being off?

You should hear the fan working hard at that temp, if you turn the engine off when your temps are that high try spinning the fan, see if it spins freely or is tight. Feel the temp of the radiator, mine feels coldish most of the time, my fan only works if I rev the engine whilst stationary, but I don't live with your ambient heat.

I can see my gauge is closer to H than yours jLB.

I wouldn't obsess about the factory gauge.

Now that you have an actual peek temperature reading of ~221*F. Yes, that is bit high, but not totally unexpected in your environment ~115*F under bad conditions (at idle, stationary, with the AC on)

Considering what you say has been replaced, I'd wash the condenser & radiator, verify that the fan shroud is properly in place and, as @hoser suggested, I'd read through some of the 80 series "fan clutch mod" threads (since you do appear to be running a 1fz-fe).

An example:
Blue fan clutch mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom