New member and 1st post! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys and gals,

I am new to the forum and thought I would say hello. I've been a big LC fan for awhile but never bought.

I have one I am eyeing on offered here locally and wondered if you think it is a good deal:

2006 LC
165K miles
1 owner, no accidents
Black exterior with grey leather interior
Roof rack and tow hook
Not sure if it has the dreaded height adjustable shocks (I will ask later)
New tires
ABS module replaced
Some scratches and light dents but paint looks remarkably well for its age
Offered at $16.5K but negotiable

Well documented service records with a few notes:
1. unsure if water pump was replaced (I'll have to check again)
2. Serpentine belts and timing belt replaced at 100K mile service

If recent ads in the MUD classifieds are a guide, I think this might be the one for us.

Honestly, black is not our favorite color but willing to overlook it if this well maintained LC is a value buy.

Thanks!

AF1

AF1 ? - Hello mr President.

CHeck for rust. That's the biggest worry. Any accidents?
Don't worry about ahc. Suspension parts do wear out, and when you need new springs and shocks, it doesn't matter what was on to start with, the cost of conventional suspension parts will be the same in any case. If there is ahc, and it has a problem, you have a case for a good reduction tho'. CHeck the state of the accumulators if it has ahc.

Hi and welcome AF1, that sounds like a good deal. I would should for $15k. Anything close to that is great, and even the current asking price is a good deal. Some consider the Black/Grey color combo to be the holy grail of combos :) A couple of things to note: chances are the water pump was changed at the 100k timing belt change as it's typically included in the service. And, the fact that it's a one owner and no accidents is always appealing as most LX owners really take good care of these rigs. I see you are located in the pacific west coast, so I assume rust is not an issue but check the undercarriage to make sure, and check the front wheel bearings to see if they are leaking. Also, don't worry about the AHC system. These are fairly robust systems that are quite reliable. Just change the AHC fluid and you should be good to go. Most LX owners rarely use the AHC system, so I wouldn't worry about that. Dents can be removed and scratches buffed out. I had a '05 black/gray LX and removed the running boards, put 33" tires on it, and buffed it. Man, did it look good and I miss that vehicle to this day. I would baseline all the fluids, and replace the heater T's (research if you haven't already), and drive the heck out of it. As I am sure you know, these rigs can go upwards of 500k miles and much more with general maintenance. Enjoy the forum as there are MANY great members here who have a ton of knowledge and experience.

...Most LX owners rarely use the AHC system, so I wouldn't worry about that. ...
The AHC is being used all the time. It's an Automatic height control system. It's working all the time, whether you touch the buttons or not.

I stand corrected. Actually, I was referring to the actual raising and lowering of the vehicle via the control switch. However, I see your point in that the system is always working :) I have almost 120k miles on my rig and the system works flawlessly (knock on wood). I think there are other members that have rigs well over 200k will fully functional AHC systems.

Hi and welcome AF1, that sounds like a good deal. I would should for $15k. Anything close to that is great, and even the current asking price is a good deal. Some consider the Black/Grey color combo to be the holy grail of combos :) A couple of things to note: chances are the water pump was changed at the 100k timing belt change as it's typically included in the service. And, the fact that it's a one owner and no accidents is always appealing as most LX owners really take good care of these rigs. I see you are located in the pacific west coast, so I assume rust is not an issue but check the undercarriage to make sure, and check the front wheel bearings to see if they are leaking. Also, don't worry about the AHC system. These are fairly robust systems that are quite reliable. Just change the AHC fluid and you should be good to go. Most LX owners rarely use the AHC system, so I wouldn't worry about that. Dents can be removed and scratches buffed out. I had a '05 black/gray LX and removed the running boards, put 33" tires on it, and buffed it. Man, did it look good and I miss that vehicle to this day. I would baseline all the fluids, and replace the heater T's (research if you haven't already), and drive the heck out of it. As I am sure you know, these rigs can go upwards of 500k miles and much more with general maintenance. Enjoy the forum as there are MANY great members here who have a ton of knowledge and experience.

Hi Paul,

I will have to look at the 100K service record again to see if it listed the water pump. BTW, it is a LC not a LX. And were you joking about the color combo being the holy grail? I think you were :)

And to answer those who asked, no accidents on this vehicle. I have not checked the undercarriage yet but thinking I can get a pre-purchase inspection to check for other issues.

I will research what it means to check the state of the accumulators. Lotsa learning to do!

Thanks guys!

Forgot to add:

Roof clear coat is gone
Owner stated they are not height adjustable shocks....is there visual inspection to see if we have it or not?
No other options added other than roof rail, tow hook, side steps, side airbags, foglights
Owner stated no water pump replaced....again, I will need to double check records.

Forgot to add:

Roof clear coat is gone
Owner stated they are not height adjustable shocks....is there visual inspection to see if we have it or not?
No other options added other than roof rail, tow hook, side steps, side airbags, foglights
Owner stated no water pump replaced....again, I will need to double check records.

With regards to AHC (Automatic Height Control), you either have these buttons above the gear shift which means you have the adjustable shocks, or you don't.

With AHC:

upload_2017-2-12_19-9-35.png

Without AHC.
upload_2017-2-12_19-11-25.png

I don't know about holy grail color combo on a 100 LC but in my opinion nothing looks better than a black vehicle. When it's clean.

Also like PaulLx470 mentioned take a look at those heater T's. Probably not a big deal on your pre-purchase inspection but if you get it put it on your list. I just changed mine out yesterday on my '06 and one was scary bad. You can quickly do a AHC graduation test on your inspection to see what you're dealing with. Again, if you purchase change the AHC fluid. It's a simple procedure. I'd buy another LC with AHC any day.

To me one of the biggest things to consider it this: Don't let these little maintenance things deter your from being the owner of one of the best vehicles ever made if you are willing and able to some reasonable PMs. As you can see this forum provides access to a great community with a wealth of friendly help and knowledge.

Good luck with your search and decision.

EDIT: Just saw you may not have AHC. Ignore comments on that then.

Does it have Nav? If you found a '06 with no AHC and no NAV that is a combo that many find highly desirable.
Here is a pic of the optional equipment side of the sticker from my '06 for reference.

WP_20170212_19_39_51_Pro.jpg

To OP, my bad as I meant LC. And, yes some on the forum consider the black/gray combo to be the best combo available. Of course, that is subjective but I remember a member calling my black/gray '05 the holy grail lol. Def get that undercarriage checked, and as @WestTX28 mentioned, don't let the small maintenance items deter you. These rigs are built like tanks and are undeniably reliable.

Update: non AHC and non DVD vehicle. Starting to look up. Cursory view of vehicle underneath did not have rust other than on exhaust and exhaust plumbing. Looks pretty clean.

Welcome AF1, at that prices it's a steal. First 150K miles is break-in-period. I'm seeing some pay $30 to $35K for rigs >75k miles, but clean condition trumps miles IMHO.

Minor accident are ok provided it's straight. Only Deal killer would be rust. Get roof clear coat re-done for $600-$1,500 and base line for ~$400 DIY.

Look close at body & frame of undercarriage for bends & rust, exhaust systems all get a rusty look. Then pay him $18K, you don't want to be a thief..;)

Update: non AHC and non DVD vehicle. Starting to look up. Cursory view of vehicle underneath did not have rust other than on exhaust and exhaust plumbing. Looks pretty clean.
Looks like you found a winner. I'd make a decision pretty quick on this one.

More info:

VIN#JTEHT05J062095325

PICS

Looks like 120K service did not have water pump replacement. Instead:

Maintenance inspection completed
120,000 mile service performed
Air filter replaced
Battery serviced
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Driveshaft serviced
Fuel filler cap gasket replaced
Oil and filter changed
Throttle body cleaned/serviced
Tire(s) balanced
Tires rotated

What is interesting to learn is that service schedules for the LC100 do not list water pump or heater T connectors as recommended replacement items:

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser Manufacturer Service Schedule and History - DriverSide.com

Any reason why?

Reactions: uHu
What is interesting to learn is that service schedules for the LC100 do not list water pump or heater T connectors as recommended replacement items:
Both those would be considered "Inspect and fix or replace if there is a problem". I'm sure the dealer inspected the water pump when they did the timing belt and found no problems and did just what Toyota recommends. It's so common to just replace a perfectly functional WP at that time because there isn't any additional labor. On a timing chain vehicle you wouldn't do that. Just inspect and replace if necessary. I wouldn't worry about that one bit.

It's a beautiful truck. I noticed it doesn't have a rear spoiler. Looks great without it. Lots of folks remove them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom