New landcruiser to BC, new member! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got the pictures in tonight. :cheers:

RIMG0033.jpg

RIMG0050.jpg

nice looling Cruiser

I haven't seen sliding rear windows on an HDJ81 before - cool

No gaudy aftermarket steering wheel - score!

nice looling Cruiser

I haven't seen sliding rear windows on an HDJ81 before - cool

No gaudy aftermarket steering wheel - score!

Thanks! Ya, happy for both... steering wheel won't make me want to poke out my eyes everytime I get in, and the sliding window will be great for the dog.

Nice Cruiser! :clap: Wish mine came with lockers!!

As a heads up I spent around 2 grand for maintanince on the truck to get it to where I was happy. (BEB's, Breaks, filters, Bateries, changes all fluids so I have a baseline to work from)

After that I started to add all the goodies.

IMG_2033.jpg

:cheers:

Unless your Cruiser has been altered, as far as I know, you should only have to:
- install a DRL system
- replace headlamps with LHD style
- replace front corner marker lamps with yellow bulbs
- replace tires if no DOT marker

As far as I know, all of the glass and other lights are DOT.

Whether the taillights meet the rear, red, side reflector requirement or not seems to be interpretted inconsistently. Pretty easy to glue a DOT red reflector in the same location as the US market marker light. Don't give them an easy way to fail your Cruiser.

For headlamps, you have two choices: US market, or european market e-codes. Your JDM will have the wiring for the e-codes, but you would have to adapt it to work with the US headlamps. Expect to spend $300-400 to replace the headlamps with new e-codes.

Some sources that may have them:
EBI
RADD Cruisers
Rocky Mountain Imports
ATEB
Silk Road Autos
I got mine from ATEB. EBI is a MUD vendor. RADD Cruisers and Rocky Mountain are local.

The e-codes are considered by some (many? most?) to be better than the US market lamps.

You should source your big end bearings (BEBs) now and plan on installing ASAP. Do NOT procrastinate on this!

-Steve

I found a really good document to have! http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/Sample_Import_Requirements.pdf

drls are easy I have a post on it.
Reflectors are super cheap.
Headlights are the dinger.
Hopefully yours will only need that for the inspection.
Good Luck!

drls are easy I have a post on it.
Reflectors are super cheap.
Headlights are the dinger.
Hopefully yours will only need that for the inspection.
Good Luck!

Good news everyone - thanks to a friend in the lower mainland, he picked me up a set of E-Code headlights in mint condition (near new) for $300 :)

Now... reflectors. Where do you guys put them? I saw a USDM/CAD landcruiser the other day, it had the rear oem reflectors lined up with the bottom of the tail light (on the rear right and left sides). However, I didn't see ANY on the sides near the front!

Now... reflectors. Where do you guys put them? I saw a USDM/CAD landcruiser the other day, it had the rear oem reflectors lined up with the bottom of the tail light (on the rear right and left sides). However, I didn't see ANY on the sides near the front!

I found these 2 options at Princess Auto (attached pic). They are DOT/SAE approved, and have screw holes. Thoughts?

2 pc oval 2-hole reflectors | Trailer Lighting | Electrical | Truck & Trailer | Princess Auto
dot_reflectors.jpg

Thoughts?

I'm not convinced we need them... The taillights wrap around the corner and are visible from the side.

You could look for a couple of stick-ons, have them ready when you go for your inspection and if you need them, stick them just above the side trim lined up with the end of the trim.

The problem they have with them is they don't say DOT, which that Govt document says they have to. I haven't been able to find a stick-on one that is DOT...of course I could just stick them on with double sided tape...

whatever floats your boat they just have to say DOT
hopefully your inspector is chill and doesn't care
whens your baby arrive?

whatever floats your boat they just have to say DOT
hopefully your inspector is chill and doesn't care
whens your baby arrive?

Gets shipped on May 15th, then 10 days at sea, then about a week to clear customs. A-B insurance to drive back to my house in Langford, then a day or 3 to do all the mods I need to pass inspection, remove the ugly front bush guard, then to the inspector... hopefully all is OK... then to insurance. Oil / diff fluid, etc changes, then time for vacation! :steer:

Picking up the truck this Wed! (yes, in 2 days!) Taking the day off work and walking across the ferry, and coming back with a sha-weeeet 80!

Andrew

nice, thats a slick looking truck man. cograts! i can imagine you are pretty stoked on picking that up

By the way, what's your opinion on the jdm bush guard and roof rack on this rig? I was thinking of removing the bush guard, getting rid of it, and putting something like an ARB bumper on. The roof rack could be useful, it's a bit too blingy for my taste though - was thinking of painting it a rubberized black. Thoughts? Experiences? :)

You could have it powdercoated it would look pretty sharp then. Is it aluminum?

Radd Cruisers in Duncan is the place to go for work. Make sure you get it in there for an inspection sometime soon. They are ARB dealers.I'd jettison that brush guard of your's ASAP. There was just a huge debate about that on mud and the general concensus is that they are a "damage multiplier" if you ever hit anything with it on. They will serve to only exponentiate the damgage to your front end.

I got my ARB front bumper from Radd Cruisers and installed it was around $1200? all in. They are designed to fit an M8000 or an M12000 Warn with no modifications. If you keep your eyes open on the used sites you will be able to buy one sooner or later for a good deal. I picked up my M12000 that way.

OMG - I have the factory winch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it was never advertised as having it! What a bonus! Some other goodies too, heated seats, rad blind, more to come... and some decent pics too. Stay tuned!

You could have it powdercoated it would look pretty sharp then. Is it aluminum?

Radd Cruisers in Duncan is the place to go for work. Make sure you get it in there for an inspection sometime soon. They are ARB dealers.I'd jettison that brush guard of your's ASAP. There was just a huge debate about that on mud and the general concensus is that they are a "damage multiplier" if you ever hit anything with it on. They will serve to only exponentiate the damgage to your front end.

I got my ARB front bumper from Radd Cruisers and installed it was around $1200? all in. They are designed to fit an M8000 or an M12000 Warn with no modifications. If you keep your eyes open on the used sites you will be able to buy one sooner or later for a good deal. I picked up my M12000 that way.

Thanks, will stop in there for sure!

A buddy and I got the DRL circuit and new ecode headlights installed tonight. Everything works great. We also fixed the (very stuck and loose) rad blind, and I remove the silly jdm "glow behind" license plate holders. With Steve's help we also removed the bull bar thing.

Good news... ALL the fluids have been changed. Probably less than 500KM ago. Trans, oil, coolant... etc. And the air filter, which is a BRAND NEW K&N reusable filter. It's so new there is no dust on it yet.

AWESOME!

New tires to come soon, 33's or 35's, A/T or M/T not decided yet. I'll take some better pics this weekend.

Does anyone know where I can find the remote unit for the factory winch? I looked everywhere... it's not in the truck.

Andrew

PS - Steve - Daniel and I got the stupid last bolt from the bull bar off tonight... turned out they used a mis-matched nut that was a 12mm instead of 13.

35s! I have about a 4'' lift on mine and wish I had 35s.They make the truck look way better. You probably won't have to re-gear if you don't want to. Lot's of guys don't until they get to 37s. You could probably fit 37s with a 5'' lift though. It becomes quite more expensive at that point.

AT or MT? I'd go with a mild mannered MT since I'm betting your cruiser will be a dd/explorer. I'm running Yokohama MTs and I'm really happy with them. Your average AT is just too mild for our wet West Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom