New Garage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I am going to add a detached two car garage. Right now it is going to just store my camper and lawn tractor, so it won't get a lot of use in the winter.

Everything I am reading in that scenario says insulation isnt worth it for the Colorado weather as even with insulation, it will slowly adapt to the outside temp with no heat source.

That makes sense to me. Anyone have info to dispute that?

I have a 4 car attached, insulated and drywalled garage that never gets below freezing, bit it shares two walls and the ceiling attic is also one with the house. I am guessing the detached will get down to whatever the temp is with no heat source, so I will need to take extra precautions with the camper and blow out the water lines.

The garage estimate is pricey and I want to cut stuff I don't need that I can easily add later. Drywall and insulation is one of those

Thoughts?

Hey Romer
As for insulation, if you have a steel building then you need to insulate the roof panels as they will sweat.
Its a lot easier and cheaper to at least add the R7 or better to the roof when its being built.
I have a thin layer all around and it gets very cold in there in the winter, but it only takes about 20 minutes for my dura heat kerosene heater to raise the temp by 15-20 degrees. My biggest problem is the 12 x 12 sliding doors on each end. They might as well be open for all the wind that blows through there. So stick with the roll ups.
I have skylights in mine and you can see how bright it is. I hardly need any extra light and they let a lot of solar heat in. Highly recommend them.

Bob

air compressor just off the bed of the truck.jpg

IMG_0208.JPG

If you're only ever going to store stuff in it, and not work in it, then I guess I could see foregoing insulation - but if you ever think you might want to work on stuff in it, I would insulate it. That would make it possible to heat in in the winter, and it would still be cooler in the summer.

If you're only ever going to store stuff in it, and not work in it, then I guess I could see foregoing insulation - but if you ever think you might want to work on stuff in it, I would insulate it. That would make it possible to heat in in the winter, and it would still be cooler in the summer.

That is kind of where I am. I still have the attached garage which isnt heated but never gets below freezing. All of our vehicles would fit in there. If I need a bay for a project, I could always move a vehicle to the dettached garage until it's done

I will be standard 2x4 and wood construction. The bottom line is the stucco to match the house is expensive and I think in the long run it's better to have it match the house since they are all on the same driveway then spend $3300 (High cost) to insulate and drywall. That is something I can do slowly on my own over time if I decide. I am just trying to get it down to a price I can afford and the only other way is to go with a 1 car. I only need a 1 car now, but think its best to go 2.

I am going forward with a 20x24 Garage with 8ft doors. Going to go with the siding and not drywall it, but adding electricity

Drywall and Stucco would have been another 11K and figure I could do that any time.

Since it is going to store the camper and lawn tractor/snow plow I don't see it opening and closing a lot over the winter so drywall and insulation wouldnt help much. The shop is in my attached garage which never gets below freezing. I will have more room with the Camper in the other garage

G2.jpg
G3.jpg

Curious what type of temperature swings you see in twenty-four hours period. Here in Northern Arizona we can see temperature swing of thirty plus degrees daily. At around 7,000' feet. Had my detached garage insulated then use a kit to insulate the doors. Insulation reduces those swings inside. Plus I have never recorded a sub freezing temperatures in the garage. I store cruisers in mine besides not worrying about a engine block freezing any is better stored at a constant temperature. I know Interstate 40 around Flagstaff is used to test defferent types of paving be bacause it the thraw then freeze daily that causes more problems than just the cold.

in the winter it can go below 0 for a week typically once a year. The balance of the year maybe 15-20 is the coldest in the winter with Feb swings from 45 to 20

and it is started
foundation.JPG

Good luck with the project, Romer. I have an extra garage myself, and it is very handy to have for storing the junk I’m always collecting. :)

they got a lot done today
IMG_0574.JPG

Updates?

Progress but not done yet. Roof and gutters are on. The garage is painted. They started doing electrical and I think the door gets put on this weekend

IMG_0605.JPG

Then next week the fence gets torn down and replaced with a 5ft with a 1 ft lattice on top along with the concrete from my current driveway to the new garage

In the meantime I got the bug to clean up my existing garage. Pulled everything out, sanded pealing spots and washed it a few times before repainting with Rustolum Rough stuff. Drys pretty quickly. It hardened up in 45 minutes that is why you only use one pouch at a time. I had to buy another box to do the seams after I was done with the floor
IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG

Some finish up work to do, but now all my toys have a roof over their head :D
g1.JPG
G2.JPG

Ken, that looks great.

I agree, The new place looks very good!.
Questions for you about the rough stuff you used in your other garage.
How well does it resist gas and oil spills?
How dangerous is it to walk on when its wet with water?
Thanks
Bobmo

Looks good, the pully system holding up for RTT, is that something you purchased or did you build it yourself?

Thank you
Nick

I agree, The new place looks very good!.
Questions for you about the rough stuff you used in your other garage.
How well does it resist gas and oil spills?
How dangerous is it to walk on when its wet with water?
Thanks
Bobmo

Change the fluid in my tcase and cleaned up well

You can walk on it in 8 hours

Havent had any issues with it being wet and slippery after driving in from the rain

Looks good, the pully system holding up for RTT, is that something you purchased or did you build it yourself?

Thank you
Nick

Thats a Racor lift system I bought on Amazon for $150. I have two of them. I use my cordless drill to raise and lower it. For the vRTT I don't use the bottom grates that come with it. I also had to extend the poles a few inches to go under the RTT. Simple brackets from the hardware store. There is a thread on these somewhere

This looks really really good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom