New FJCruiser or similar to be released April 2017??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lubedealer.com
Toyota Teases FT-4X Off-Road Concept Ahead of New York Auto Show Reveal

You can't keep a good off-road legacy down. On Wednesday, Toyota released a teaser image for a New York Auto Show-bound vehicle called the FT-4X—a concept that seems to draw upon the carmaker's rich legacy for whipping up spectacular off-roading machines.

At first glance, you might be forgiven for thinking the teaser shot is an ad for Goodyear, not a promo for Toyota; it's a close-up of some aggressive off-road rubber, wrapped around a beefy tri-tone wheel and tucked below a black fender. The only hint given about the vehicle itself is the tiny piece of orange sheetmetal barely visible at the leading edge of the vehicle, suggesting those burly tires have been pushed as close to the corner of this Toyota as possible—presumably, to reduce the front overhang.

But even without a shot of the wheel-and-tire package, the new vehicle's name alone would seem to be a clue as to its intentions. While all-wheel-drive can seemingly be found on vehicles of all shapes and sizes these days, bridging the number 4 and the letter X together has a fairly strong association to anyone who remembers when off-roaders were commonly known as "four-by-fours." ("FT," of course, is Toyota-slang for "concept car.")

Toyota USA also teased the new FT-4X concept on Twitter, complete with a link to watch a livestream of the car's debut at the New York show.

While Toyota has a long, rich legacy of building dynamite, off-road-ready SUVs—see: The Drive's project FJ62 Land Cruiser—the company's American showrooms have seemed all the more empty since the retro-styled FJ Cruiser was axed last year. While it didn't sell in great numbers in America during its later years, the model has proven to have a loyal fanbase that's kept resale values high. (Just check out the prices for used ones on eBay if you don't believe us.)

Given that...we wouldn't be shocked to see the FT-4X turn out to be a compact SUV ready for rock-crawling. But we'll find out for sure on April 12th.

I mean I won't be buying one until they are like 15 or so years old, but nice to know I have something to look forward to!

The new Toyota's don't impress me. The FJ is nice but too much plastic. Intake manifold on FJ cruiser was plastic instead of aluminium. There where some other short cuts they have taken on the new cars and truck that I am not sold you can get 200k out of them if you take care of them

I mean I won't be buying one until they are like 15 or so years old, but nice to know I have something to look forward to!

I'm not holding my breath...a 255/15 r18 seems more jeep compass than FJ cruiser to me. I hope I'm just being cynical. I would love to see a new, capable toyota 4x4 amidst the reemergence of the Bronco and updates to the Wrangler.

I'm not holding my breath...a 255/15 r18 seems more jeep compass than FJ cruiser to me. I hope I'm just being cynical. I would love to see a new, capable toyota 4x4 amidst the reemergence of the Bronco and updates to the Wrangler.
Like a 79? I wonder if they decided to bring them here (not just for uparmoring) who would plunk down for one. Especially that 50th anniversary they put out in Nippon.

Disappointing but not the least bit surprising.

what an ugly piece of s***...looks like a Kia Soul on steroids :( :( :( what a total insult to decades of Toyota offroad vehicles and engineering...Looks like a cross between a Kia Soul and a Ford Flex. So disappointed....why wont Toyota give us a TRUE OFFROAD VEHICLE that will make Land Cruiser gods smile????? Only people that will buy this is chicks, metrosexuals and SJW's (snowflakes)...

I guess we're not millennials

upload_2017-4-12_19-33-6.jpeg

y'know.. for millennials!

"... the FT-4X is aimed squarely at city dwellers who want something more capable than a RAV4 or C-HR"

Kinda reminds me of an FJCruiser... Just more masculine...

I swear...that has to be a joke. There has to be some Korean trolls photoshopping this, kinda like the Bronco, just to get our knickers in a wad. It looks like a snap-on toy, a Mr Potato Head auto kit for children. If its true, go ahead and all pitch-in to GoFundMe my bail money, because I'm going to Japan and someone is getting punched in the face.

I swear...that has to be a joke. There has to be some Korean trolls photoshopping this, kinda like the Bronco, just to get our knickers in a wad. It looks like a snap-on toy, a Mr Potato Head auto kit for children. If its true, go ahead and all pitch-in to GoFundMe my bail money, because I'm going to Japan and someone is getting punched in the face.
Says the guy who drove a much less capable Jeep Patriot.

Says the guy who drove a much less capable Jeep Patriot.
It was a Jeep Cherokee but it was a company car, a nice perk to have at the time. Though Jeep has abominable models like the Cherokee and Patriot, they are among 6 models that also include a solid front axle and locked Rubicon. If Mr T wants to include this cartoon of a model among more capable models, I would say go for it.

You have GOT to be s***ting me....:bang::flush:

Give it up the dream and y'all will be much happier. Toyota sold 191,631 and 111,970 Tacoma's and 4 Runners (respectively) last year. If 5% of those are 4x4 variants, that's over 15K Toyota 4x4's sold; 15K units is multiple years worth of Land Cruiser (200 series) sales. With the tariffs on the Land Cruiser (because it's Japanese made) and the high sales numbers of Tacomas and 4Runners, there is zero incentive for Toyota to offer something like the 70 series (presumably something you might like) to the US market.

That being said, I think a reworked / modernized cruiser styled like an FJ-40 (the FJ Cruiser missed on the classic styling, IMHO) that was priced comparably to the Wrangler would absolutely CRUSH it. But again, there's no incentive given the sales numbers of T's other US 'off-road' capable products.

Might as walk get an ICON, If you want classic styling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom