New fj55 owner newb questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone. New to the board. Don't know a whole lot about cars but I just purchased a '79 fj55. Just had to have it as its so dang cool. it runs well from what I can tell (drove 3 hours home after I purchased it). Will be a daily but low mileage vehicle.

I don't need it to be perfect just reliable and fairly weather resistant. A couple things I'd like to get some opinions on.

The 2f engine seems to run a little bit hot at highway speeds. It only got into the red on the temperature gauge once when I got up to ~60mph for about 25-30 minutes. At 55 it was near the top (between 70-80%) but not in the red. Didn't get hot in town driving though I didn't drive it a ton as I was still on the 48hour non registered new vehicle rule. Any suggestions on why this might be occurring or anything I can do to fix the issue.

Would also like to know where to get some weather stripping for the rear tailgate window or if there is a different manufacturer that has a product can fill that same purpose. It's cracking and missing in one section. Weather stripping on the rest of it seems not perfect but sufficient for now.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community and have already learned a ton from reading posts on here. Thanks guys!

Congratulations on acquiring an Iron Pig!

2 things;
  1. It is not a car, it is an Iron Pig, or Pig, or in a more generic sense, a Land Cruiser
  2. Come and see us in the Pig section - lots of help there: FJ55 Iron Pig Preservation Society
Cruiser Not A Car.jpg

IIRC the '79 Pig rad is very thin...

Are there any replacements or anything to look out for that you would recommend?

I haven't had it throughly looked at by a mechanic yet. Won't be able to get it insured, registered, and tagged for a few more weeks. I'm just trying to find out about any quirks I need to look out for with the hot motor issue because I would like to drive it occasionally near 65mph if I need to get somewhere in a hurry... and trying to keep water out of it. I just want it to be reliable and keep me dry!

Welcome!

First, if you're married buy your Wife flowers, a new kitchen, swimming pool and a vacation to an island. Then maybe just do a cooling system flush with a new thermostat. A new temp. gauge that reads in degrees, so you know it's really running hot. Lil'John is right on with Slocruisers for the tailgate rubber. SLOCRUISERS

Welcome!

First, if you're married buy your Wife flowers, a new kitchen, swimming pool and a vacation to an island. Then maybe just do a cooling system flush with a new thermostat. A new temp. gauge that reads in degrees, so you know it's really running hot. Lil'John is right on with Slocruisers for the tailgate rubber. SLOCRUISERS

Hahahaha my wife gets a new puppy here in a month or so. Thanks for the advice folks!

Your turn signal could be as simple as a burnt out bulb, but could also be that the light housings aren't grounded.

Hiya, Good to know there's another pig in AR, and a '79 to boot! Get to know the guys in the razorback land cruisers in your area. they're all good folks. The '78 & '79 is an odd year as it had AC and a thinner radiator plus power steering. the rad may be needing of cleaning. I'd take it out and get it cleaned out at a rad shop. i had the same issue when i first got mine. it had years of buildup in it. You'll want to keep it in good shape as there are few around (some have fitted a fj60 rad into it). the bulb is likely that it is not grounding. I have this issue all the time. the window gaskets are expensive but worth it. post up some pics & good luck! hope to see you around!

best, ty
:beer:

Hiya, Good to know there's another pig in AR, and a '79 to boot! Get to know the guys in the razorback land cruisers in your area. they're all good folks. The '78 & '79 is an odd year as it had AC and a thinner radiator plus power steering. the rad may be needing of cleaning. I'd take it out and get it cleaned out at a rad shop. i had the same issue when i first got mine. it had years of buildup in it. You'll want to keep it in good shape as there are few around (some have fitted a fj60 rad into it). the bulb is likely that it is not grounding. I have this issue all the time. the window gaskets are expensive but worth it. post up some pics & good luck! hope to see you around!

best, ty

best, ty

image.jpeg

Welcome!

Jewelry too, buy her some jewelry. Then, any $ that is left over you can use on the Pig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom