New entry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!
I'm Jack and this in the photo are me and my "grasshopper".
She's a 1988 2H pop top roof overlanding vehicle.

I'm based in Perth, Western Australia.

I've only just got it and I'm trying to have it to run the best as possible and to restore what needs to be restored.

A respray will be coming soon for example...

I'm now concentrating in the mechanic (which is fine, but never enough for a enthusiast).

Hope to be helpful to someone whit my modest experience and to have a help in what I will might need for keep the hopper rolling for many more years.

Cheers

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

Very nice! Welcome

Welcome. I would love to see any of the Trakka conversion mods up close. I love the lines of that top. Load up some interior shots when you have a minute. Cheers :beer:

Jack nice truck mate.
The best thing to do is find a 12ht engine and have it rebuilt as it's basically a plug and play engine swap. The direct injection engines are worth the coin and the old troopy will march up any hill fully loaded. My hj75 with the 12ht and overdrive gearbox gets great fuel consumption and sits on 120K at 2000 rpm. Well worth the coin if she's a keeper.

Jack nice truck mate.
The best thing to do is find a 12ht engine and have it rebuilt as it's basically a plug and play engine swap. The direct injection engines are worth the coin and the old troopy will march up any hill fully loaded. My hj75 with the 12ht and overdrive gearbox gets great fuel consumption and sits on 120K at 2000 rpm. Well worth the coin if she's a keeper.

Thank you! I thought about that, but my 2H has only 280.000 kms and doesn't feel tired...
Ok she's not fast but I don't think is the whole vehicle made to be fast.
How much a 12ht would be for and how much a 2H like mine can be sold for?

I brought a Hj61 for the engine 3500 $ and the overdrive 1500 and then rebuilt the engine 3000. So it cost me around 8000 for the engine and gearbox.
Not cheap but considering the whole rebuild on my Hj75 cost me 25,000 dollars. It sounds like a lot but I will never sell the old girl so if I’m lucky to live for another 25 years it’s a cheap transport.

I see, I'll probably pass for the moment... I'll see how it goes.
I'm not in a rush when I go around and reliability to me is the main thing.
My 2H sounds healthy for the moment...
Are you in Perth?

I brought a Hj61 for the engine 3500 $ and the overdrive 1500 and then rebuilt the engine 3000. So it cost me around 8000 for the engine and gearbox.
Not cheap but considering the whole rebuild on my Hj75 cost me 25,000 dollars. It sounds like a lot but I will never sell the old girl so if I’m lucky to live for another 25 years it’s a cheap transport.

I’m in Coffs Harbour NSW.
The 2H and 12ht are very good engines and will last for 800,000 when well serviced. I pull a large caravan with the ute well loaded so I needed the extra grunt and the overdrive gives me half gears on hills with 4th gear overdrive so I can stay out off 5th when towing.
If your new to landcruisers only use 5th gear on the flat as they don’t like lugging up hills in in 5th gear. 5th gear is the weak link in these trucks so look after it.

I’m in Coffs Harbour NSW.
The 2H and 12ht are very good engines and will last for 800,000 when well serviced. I pull a large caravan with the ute well loaded so I needed the extra grunt and the overdrive gives me half gears on hills with 4th gear overdrive so I can stay out off 5th when towing.
If your new to landcruisers only use 5th gear on the flat as they don’t like lugging up hills in in 5th gear. 5th gear is the weak link in these trucks so look after it.

Thank you for the advice!
I am new to land cruises and I'm after a mechanic or someone that can give me some good advices for this amazing vehicles.

Is there anything else that you would advise me?

Cheers!

The best advice is to service all the running gear with fresh oils etc and change all all the brake and clutch fluids.
The Radiator may need to be stripped and cleaned with new fluids as well but hard to say with out driving and seeing where the temp is sitting. It doesn’t have to all be done at once just make a list and do it as money and time becomes available that way you will get to learn how to do it on the road when traveling. There's also a water trap on the chassis rail that will need draining on occasions but once this is done you will need to bleed the fuel system before trying to start the engine. This forum has all the information you need so spend time reading up on everything before you start and if you have any questions just ask and someone will offer there advice. The troopy looks like a great truck look after it and it will look after you guys.
Enjoy you travels. :)

The best advice is to service all the running gear with fresh oils etc and change all all the brake and clutch fluids.
The Radiator may need to be stripped and cleaned with new fluids as well but hard to say with out driving and seeing where the temp is sitting. It doesn’t have to all be done at once just make a list and do it as money and time becomes available that way you will get to learn how to do it on the road when traveling. There's also a water trap on the chassis rail that will need draining on occasions but once this is done you will need to bleed the fuel system before trying to start the engine. This forum has all the information you need so spend time reading up on everything before you start and if you have any questions just ask and someone will offer there advice. The troopy looks like a great truck look after it and it will look after you guys.
Enjoy you travels. :)

Yep, I did all the oils. Apart from gearbox and transfer case because they have the famous internal leak so I will fix them first.

I replaced the diaphragm and greased up all the greasable points.

I've replaced the water separator because had little bit of rust at the bottom with a glass one.

Brakes and clutch fluid look really good.

The water temperature is incredibly low in my gauge!
Makes me wonder if the sender unit is working properly...
it goes just past the bottom line (the first one front the bottom).

I'm about to measure the gaps of the valves and do the rear main seal.

As more I look in the forum and as more stuff I find, but is not easy to find everything because there is not a Thread that collects everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom