New bolt-in version of the seat box. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the clarifications...but I got to keep the rear heat for now, maybe when the kid is a little older.

I'll watch as it develops though, super neat products.
Yeah, it would not be that great of a mod for anyone who is stuck on the rear heater. My standard sales pitch is; "way too much money to spend on a little bit more storage space", with a rear heater still in place it would just be a plain rip-off. :p Not to mention the extra I would have to charge to get everything to line up and work still.

Subscribed. Would like to follow this this develops for an 80, and the console concept.
Yup, will have something to show for that soon. As for the console, it's pretty low priority. I like the hatch setup that we use, and when I do get around to a console add-on, it will be stupid simple with a pad on top.

I have an '88 62 and from the sounds of it the seat box that is used for the later model 60's will work for my rig, yes?

If so, sign me up! I won't be difficult and I won't ask for any special mods...except perhaps a signature :D
Yup, floor is the same between the late 60s and 62s, the rear heater is in a different spot, but rear heaters get deleted.

Kevin, It was great to see and talk with you at Expo. Please put me on the list for a seat box.

Thanks and keep up the good work
Likewise Mike! Would have been nice to have more time, the whole weekend was a mad rush. You got a chance to see the prototype in person though right? Or did I not show it to you? Talked to so many people I can't even remember. As for your 60, don't you already have about 100 things too many bolted on there by now? :grinpimp:

Great work as always Kevin!! Did I miss it, or am I early in asking what the price for this gem will be? Any notion, rough estimate or ballpark figure? Also, for those of us with aftermarket center consoles (Tuffy in my case), will there be an option without the hatch in the center?

Looking forward to this. More/secure storage AND better seat mounting options? I say WIN/WIN!

And yes, I still need to order my tailgate lid. Depending on the timing of the seat box, I may wait. Any chance for a package discount? No? I didn't think so.

If I know Kevin's work the tuffy could proabably be mounted to the hatch in the center. But I plan on crossing that bridge (mounting the console) when it get's here or as Wagongear suggests if that comes up and I am sure it will. :p

I'll be building them for each truck so the middle is meant to be a kind of blank-slate. I like the hatch, but that is not for everyone.
It's kind of along the same lines as the seat platform, flat, strong, sturdy, mount whatever you want on there. the storage space goes all the way through from side to side so you can go with no access for the center and mount a console on the flat deck (in the future I will design and build a very simple console that can bolt on there) you could go with a hatch, you could go with nothing, you could go with a hole and cut the bottom out of whatever console you have, in that case you would get a TON of room out of a relatively small console, you could go with a false floor to piss of the border agents..... blank canvas.

.......Did I miss it, or am I early in asking what the price for this gem will be? Any notion, rough estimate or ballpark figure? .....
You didn't miss it, still a bit early. I'm fairly transparent with all my pricing though, so far we are looking at:
Laser cutting and steel costs $200
Best I have found on the latches so far is $140
There is about $50 in hardware
I don't know what powder coating will cost, you can take or leave that option, but I will be STRONGLY recommending it though since it really is the way to go with these)
It takes me a half a day on the bench to build and then probably closer to a full day (or a day and a half if I know me :p) when you include the back and forth with emails (I type slow), picking up and dropping off materials, packing supplies and wrapping up for shipping, etc.
I do not know what it will cost to UPS them, they are really just a big box already though so I'm not expecting it to be too terrible.

They will not be less than $600 and I sure hope they don't go over $800.
That's about as close as I can get pending the missing info above.

.....And yes, I still need to order my tailgate lid. Depending on the timing of the seat box, I may wait. Any chance for a package discount? No? I didn't think so.......
Yeah,... no :grinpimp:

KR

:hmm:So if I sent you $700 now does that mean I get bumped to the top of the list? The brackets I built for the BMW seats work great and my Amy loves being able to see BUT mark ,aka Pete that you met,doesn't fit in the passengers seat. So whenever we talk about a road trip he points out he will have to do all the driving SO we have a problem. I could build new brackets but WHY? You do EVERY thing cruiser so much better!

:hmm:So if I sent you $700 now does that mean I get bumped to the top of the list? The brackets I built for the BMW seats work great and my Amy loves being able to see BUT mark ,aka Pete that you met,doesn't fit in the passengers seat. So whenever we talk about a road trip he points out he will have to do all the driving SO we have a problem. I could build new brackets but WHY? You do EVERY thing cruiser so much better!

This could lead to a bidding war, sort of doubt that it happens knoewing Kevin's past history!!

kevinmrowland said:
I'll be building them for each truck so the middle is meant to be a kind of blank-slate. I like the hatch, but that is not for everyone.
It's kind of along the same lines as the seat platform, flat, strong, sturdy, mount whatever you want on there. the storage space goes all the way through from side to side so you can go with no access for the center and mount a console on the flat deck (in the future I will design and build a very simple console that can bolt on there) you could go with a hatch, you could go with nothing, you could go with a hole and cut the bottom out of whatever console you have, in that case you would get a TON of room out of a relatively small console, you could go with a false floor to piss of the border agents..... blank canvas.

I have visions of someone trying to use a 60 as a getaway car...lol.

No.
But there are only like, 4 people on the "list" so it's really not that bad. :p
I updated the CAD files with corrections this morning, will get another set cut next week.

This could lead to a bidding war, sort of doubt that it happens knoewing Kevin's past history!!
If you want to start a biding war you can all argue over the super-rough box I have in the tan truck now, that has to come out for a full production test version so it would need a new home for the cost of materials and hardware.

I have visions of someone trying to use a 60 as a getaway car...lol.
It could work, just depends on the route.

I'll be patient for a new one... if orders are being taken I want to retain my tuffy box so I can maintain my gangsta leannnnn so you can leave my center free of hatch.

What about cutting the floor out of your tuffy so you have a super deep console? Or a false floor?

I was farting around with it last night and realized a hinge on the back and a pin up front would allow me to tilt it back and access a smugglers cubby. I also laid my spare birfs across and they would fit nicely. OK I'm ready when did you say they will ship :clap:

Sign me up!

...you could go with a hatch, you could go with nothing, you could go with a hole and cut the bottom out of whatever console you have, in that case you would get a TON of room out of a relatively small console, you could go with a false floor to piss of the border agents..... blank canvas.

Well hell, Kevin, if I knew that I woulda signed up already. :)

SMTFU, please! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Will go nicely with the new armrest as below. Lotsa room between your floor unit, the original Tuffy and the "annex" housing the shifter.

If you would like a clean 62 w/o heat and a Tuffy to measure / practice on, I would be happy to move to Eugene for a week.
console 3.jpg

Last edited:
OK kevin the cruiser is home with the new fuel injection installed (thanks to trollhole) and omg do I love it. So I can begin to get ready for the underseat storage and soundproofing to deaden the heat and the roar from the new Low Range gears. You were going to check on the schematics or something , I'm working as usual and you know that means I can only work on some weekends but PM me when you'r ready. Thanks. Doc

Cool, I'm still waiting on some hardware to finish off the production test, in the mean-time send me some pics of your seat/floor setup (with the seats in, just the way you have it).
Something like this but maybe a little lower and from both sides:

IMG_7892.jpg

I'll take a look at that and see what's going on.
:cheers:
KR

Pic's

Will do my best to shoot them this weekend and send them too!!:) But I will omit the wonder pet, I don't have a dog. Funny you would think a Vet would have a dog. But as you know I travel so much it would starve at my house.

Pic's

Here goes
71520122 003.JPG
71520122 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom