New BFG KM3. Thoughts? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some 80 series love at the 9 second mark. :bounce:

That's me in the 80 series. I've put a little over 4K on the KM3's since December and so far so good. I got to try thrm in deep snow 2 weeks ago in NorCal and they performed excellent at 5psi. I was able to break trail and push snow over the hood.

View attachment 1664214
IMG_0960.JPG

Are the 315s load range E or D?

Mine are Load Range E

13k or so on mine....just chased the NORRA Mexican 1000 and added over 3300 miles on them...a good chunk of that was ON race course as an official sweeper. We did some dumb stuff, and the tires didn't care...and still had a great "road" ride home from San Jose del Cabo :)

Pics next week, due for another BFG report anyways.

Mine are Load Range E

13k or so on mine....just chased the NORRA Mexican 1000 and added over 3300 miles on them...a good chunk of that was ON race course as an official sweeper. We did some dumb stuff, and the tires didn't care...and still had a great "road" ride home from San Jose del Cabo :)

Pics next week, due for another BFG report anyways.

Sounds good. I finally decided to go ko2.
Just a shame it seems hard to find bigger than 285 for 16" wheels over here. pfff...

What size do you run? 315?

Sounds good. I finally decided to go ko2.
Just a shame it seems hard to find bigger than 285 for 16" wheels over here. pfff...

What size do you run? 315?
you tell me.

screenshot-forum.ih8mud.com-2018.05.05-15-39-19.png

I'm hard on them....1500 miles in Baja at 25psi...weeks on end locally at 20psi and 80mph...breaking WAY too many items on my FZJ80 trying lines I shouldn't (and not backing out, let 'em eat!)....given that, I'm thoroughly impressed...STILL "quiet" on the highway at 40psi, they've crawled lines in Moab (ie: side stuff on Hells) that no other tire I've had will walk up...I've tried to wreck them in the cactus, the rocks, etc and can't....sidewalls are unscathed...I STILL prefer the KO2 for a daily, but offroad/mixed, the KM3 has been impressive. Simply, all the stuff BFG says not to do...I do ;)

Pics are of the right rear tire...fronts have taken more direct at-speed hits on Baja "roads" but the rears are equally tested since i mainly run in 2wd. (part time kit) 40-70 mph at 25psi and tagging sharp rocks is hard on them....especially a fully loaded 80.

Yes, air was caught...happy to have the Stage4 Slinky suspension, the ICONs never faded.

20180511_142246.jpg
20180511_142302.jpg
20180511_142328.jpg

Also the 315 75 16s are load range E only from what I see. Great if you've got an overlanding 80 with EVERY needed accessory but not so much for a light 4Runner. Looks like the KM2s for me.

39x13.5r17

Discount says it’s a 38”, which would be consistent with BFG’s undersizing (the 37” ko2 is more a 36”).

For the testers, how did they do over the winter in road snow?

Did you get that info from DIscount online or over the phone/in person? I want more details on the two 35"s available for 17"s.

Did you get that info from DIscount online or over the phone/in person? I want more details on the two 35"s available for 17"s.

Online. They aren’t available yet to order, but the KM3 sizes are up on the Discount website.

Not sure if the prices will hold, but the 39” is listed at $345 right now, and if it runs small like the ko2 it will be that one size up from a 37” that could get me to bite.

is the tread depth really only going to 18/32"? And the weight on that "39"" is atrocious, 87lbs?!

Where did you find a chart showing the additional specs?

The weight isn’t high comparatively. The Cooper STT Pro in a D range 37x12.5 is 75 lbs and the E range 37x13.5 gains 9 lbs to 84. The 40x13.5 in a C range is 92 lbs.

That’s suggestive that the 39x13.5 km3 is really being marketed to the full size brodozers, but 80’s are plenty heavy to handle E range tires. It’s just a matter of les air, which makes them nicer to drive anyway.

I run my 37” ko2 at 25 PSI on an 8.5” rim. The km3 in a 39 would probably warrant 24ish or just doing what @woody did and leaving them at 20.

I’ve been swearing that I won’t cut any more and there’s no way I’m messing with a 40, but a smallish 39” (if that’s true) fills a major size gap in the market with a premium tire.

Can anybody report on impressions on size? This is a 37” ko2 unweighted next to the same size Cooper AT3. Even giving the ko2 full tread, the Cooper is still nearly 3/4” bigger and unweighted is exactly the 36.5” it claims to be.

7FED9CAE-4B66-427A-8E4B-92C4F01B9EB2.jpeg

I’d love to be able to use the ko2 a size up, but it doesn’t even exist in a 37.

Last edited:
I saw that, too - part of my sense of small - but not the tread depths of only 18/32. That would be surprising, given for comparison the STT Pro is 22/32 in a 37” and 18/32 is modern AT hybrid depth.

I’m a little wary of these early specs since BFG hasn’t posted any yet.

I wonder if the ko2 and km3 are sharing a carcass since the weights look about the same in a 37” and the sidewalls are so similar. That wouldn’t be a bad thing, but it certainly would inform tire size on the small side.

Last edited:
They review these in the new crawl magazine, they state that the 37 is a true 37 size tire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom