New battery time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some suggestions on replacement batteries for my '81. Yeah this is probably like asking "which tires are the best", but it's a topic people like to toss their nickel (I'd say penny but that's oh so last decade) in.
Mine has been converted to 12v start, so the passenger side is starting and winching and the drivers side should be for all accessories; fridge 'n stuff. I do have a relay (or whatever the fudge it's called, that is supposed to charge one from the other) between them.

My drivers side one is in rough shape; took a read now and it was at 8something volts. My fancy Noco genius 3500 just flashed and clicked which according to the manual says the battery is pooched.

Passenger side was at 12.5 volts.

The batteries in there now are the traditional wet cell, group 27 rebuilt ones from Polar roughly 6 years ago or so. They have been highly abused with multiple draw downs.

I'm thinking I should have a deep cycle for my accessry and ???? for the starter/winch battery.

I'd go back to Polar, but frankly their hours of business suck for us working stiffs.

I have two batteries. One is what they call house battery - starting, lights, glow, etc. The second is for the two winches
and fridge, lights, webasto and everything else. In the end, just a pair of series 27 starting batteries. I got AC Delco through
John at Radd. I dont' think they are anything special, but I went with starting batteries for winch duties and since I've sat for
2 days on the fridge and all ok so far. A few deep winch pulls, but it's only been 9 months, so no long term input yet.

Canadian tire has their Motomaster Ultra AGM on sale right now, good warranty too. I just picked up a set of Northstar batteries from Polar, even though the price was good, they are not cheap. I did grab the Canadian tire one as the auxiliary battery though, for $180 for an AGM with a 5 year replacement warranty, can't beat it.

And further to this, in years of experience dealing with dual batteries, the most success I've had with battery longevity is replacing in pairs with identical batteries. At least match CCA and build style (AGM, wet cell i.e.)

Even more of a pain as he is out in the Valley, but contact Benjamin at 604.751.zero zero twentythree. See what he recommends and can supply.

The 27 and 27f configurations are a pain. Mow much of a problem to change the 27f side to a 27 they both are more standard on the HDJ81?

I think running two different batteries are not a problem in parallel if they are not hooked together all the time (isolated with something like ML-ACRs - Blue Sea Systems).

Here is a good conversation that gets into dual battery stuff: Necessity of Dual Batteries

hth's
gb

Even more of a pain as he is out in the Valley, but contact Benjamin at 604.751.zero zero twentythree. See what he recommends and can supply.

The 27 and 27f configurations are a pain. Mow much of a problem to change the 27f side to a 27 they both are more standard on the HDJ81?

I think running two different batteries are not a problem in parallel if they are not hooked together all the time (isolated with something like ML-ACRs - Blue Sea Systems).

Here is a good conversation that gets into dual battery stuff: Necessity of Dual Batteries

hth's
gb
And further to this, in years of experience dealing with dual batteries, the most success I've had with battery longevity is replacing in pairs with identical batteries. At least match CCA and build style (AGM, wet cell i.e.)

I don't see why I'd need to worry about keeping them the same. It's not a 24v system, and they are isolated with a BEP digital voltage sensing relay.

Changing the one 27f battery is not that big of a deal, would just have to get longer cables. Although In my case there is bit of extra wiring for accessories and I'm not sure how much slack there is.

I'll check out the motormaster AGM, looks like a good option. See if Costco has something interesting as well.

This is what happens if 2 different batteries are charging at the same time as I learned firsthand. My AGM was fine, but my stock battery couldn't handle it, overheats slightly, causing corrosion. Keep em the same and this won't be an issue.

maxresdefault.jpg

Another vote for northstar. Not cheap but I've abused mine and they don't let me down. Nine year free replacement warranty is also nice

Went to Edmonds and only my accessory battery needed to be replaced. Went with their sealed house brand deep cycle as they suggested @ $120.
Northstar was $400 so I passed. He raised his eyebrows when I mentioned the 9 year warranty on those and said it was only 4.

I'm running both house and start circuits. My start circuit is factory stock with four exceptions. Power for stereo amp, relay power for driving lights, power lead for winch, and power lead for smart charger going to house circuit.

My starter battery is type 27 Motomaster Ultra AGM that Matt noted. Good price, no issues and charges fine etc. It has been drawn to flat twice and still seems to be great. I've had it since 2012 and consistent reads 12.8 when not charging.

Deep cycle runs all house chores and other vehicle accessories including inverter, heated seats, interior and exterior lighting, fridge, power and usb sockets, and gauges etc. I have 12 circuits running off it and it will eventually power my ham. Its been run below 9v many times - about the time my smart charger separates the two batteries.

My deep cycle is a type 27 wet cell Delco, and it cost me a around a hundred or so. I never have had a deep cycle ever last me more than three years (either AGM or traditional) but this one is outputting the same 12.8 and it was installed at the same time.

Both batteries are maintenance free.

I think in total I spent about $300.

My truck is seasonally driven so from about October to March it sits with a maintainer on the AGM start battery. Both batteries stay charged this way

New battery is working well. Fridge has been running empty at -4 since the 12th (with my 50watt panel tossed in the roof rack) and tested it this afternoon was at 12.18 volts (starter battery was at 12.5).

I'm in a similar boat. My Edmonds group 31 deep cycle house is toast and the group 27 starting is having issues starting the 6bt.

Was looking at the Costco batteries today when I was in there. May try there Marine batteries. Not sure show well they will handle the heavy vibrations we treat theses too off road.

I'm in a similar boat.

My boat batteries have taken a pounding through the Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast. Use the boat daily.
Swells, waves and wakes when traveling on the water are probably just as rough if not more so
than a truck would see off road.
My two batteries are 8 years old and are on a Pro Sport conditioner.

Truck has been sitting in the driveway with the fridge running since Monday (just moved it off the lawn and onto the driveway Tuesday) and the accessory battery is reading 11.76 and starting battery 12.5. No solar panel hooked up.

This is really floating my boat now.

The deep cycle I had burnt up on the charger last night and I tested my starting battery and it's only got 500cca.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom