New addition, 85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, its pretty well done.... And I think someone fed Sam and I the roofalin cause I cant really remember how we got where we got. Lets just say the licence plate and tail lights arent obscured.. at all. Drove home with it and it doesnt shake too much and seems to be rattle free. I still have good visibility on the ps side of the van and its not as bad as I thought it would be. Threw in a picture of the empty rear cargo area, its a little dirty but empty. Also Peeties amp placement/deck install, thanks buddy. Big thanks to Sam as well for putting up with my messed up, backwards ideas.

booster026.jpg

booster027.jpg

booster028.jpg

booster029.jpg

booster030.jpg

booster031.jpg

booster032.jpg

Sam throwing up capedereol gang signs.

booster033.jpg

booster034.jpg

booster035.jpg

booster036.jpg

booster037.jpg

booster039.jpg

A few more gussets, a tube or two and it should be good to go. Maybe some paint along the way.

D

I used to see this truck around fairly often, since it is originally from here in JH, Wyoming. I used to dislike the orange beadlock rings and brown color. It looks much better these days. I recall it being pretty tall too!

it is a sweet truck, congrats.

I moved the tire down another inch and a half so it looks a little less high now. Took it apart and cleaned/primed/painted the tabs/1/4 protection. Couple more things to do to the swing out/down then paint.

booster.jpg

booster040.jpg

D

Made some progress today before night shift. Picked up some bolts to use as pins for the swing out/down release mechanisms. Drilled them for safety clips, cut off the threads, and rounded the ends. Also picked up more primer and paint and some wheel studs/lug nuts since the one stud holding the tire on worried me a bit. After making a couple templates to locate the studs on the carrier I figured out how to lower the tire a bit so thats a bonus.

I replaced the inner fender bolts that were rubbing the tires at full stuff as well. Used countersunk allen head bolts with a large washer to get them as close to the fender as possible. You can see the difference in the pics.

Before

booster043.jpg

After

booster042.jpg

booster041.jpg

booster044.jpg

D

Spent some time cleaning out the back of the van today. I ripped out the cargo carpet and underlay to find that the po has bought a specter? cargo carpet thats in mint shape. So I ditched the oe carpet and underlay, cleaned everything up nice nice and threw the new carpet back in.looks 10x better.

D

Took a pic of the cargo area all cleaned up. Thinking of making side panels out of the same plastic I used on the tailgate..

The old carpet and underlay.

booster047.jpg

booster048.jpg

booster046.jpg

The carrier for the hell of it.

booster045.jpg

D

Spent the weekend at camp and had a blast. Back to work on the carrier today. I added an extra tube, 3 wheel studs, and a couple gussets then cleaned everything up. Couple coats of primer went on then 3 coats of black. Might have it mounted tomorrow if someone shows up to help get it on.

D

Last edited:
Couple pics.

Painted the silly silver rim of the spare wheel.

booster052.jpg

All set up on the bench.

booster051.jpg

booster050.jpg

Paint thats still not dry..

booster053.jpg

D

Looks really good! Can't wait to see it on the rig! Do you plan to take the hoop that holds the tire off together with the tire?
cant see details on my phone...
So you swing the tire down to open the rear door?
Nice work!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using IH8MUD app.

^^ Hah! Nope. The procedure is as follows. Take the wing nut and plate off the front of the rim, take off the 3 lug nuts, put the wing nut and plate back on, then swing down the carrier so the tire is on the ground and spin off the wing nut. Tire is off and nobody had to wrestle it down.

To get into the rear I pull out 2 pins (to be revised at a later date) and swing the swing out open. I still have to put in a spring loaded pin to lock it open but that can wait.

Going to do some r&d to see how it holds up but it seems sturdy. It does shake a bit because of the rubber shackle bushings but I figure it helps isolate the vibration. Nothing crazy mind you, my buddy had it shaking pretty good today and I had room for a sideways fist between the glass and the tire/carrier without it touching my hand.

Threw it together today with a lot fewer scratches in the fresh paint than usual to boot.

Swing out.

booster054.jpg

booster055.jpg

booster056.jpg

booster059.jpg

Swing down

booster057.jpg

booster058.jpg

booster060.jpg

booster061.jpg

booster062.jpg

booster063.jpg

D

Last edited:
Wow that tire is massive. Good work on the swing down! Do you think it's going to be difficult to undo the spare tire lug nuts with them facing the ground?

I take em off before it gets lowered then the wing nut goes back on and holds the tire when its being swung down. Its a lot easier than trying to undo the nuts..

You didnt read my procedure man! lol

D

I take em off before it gets lowered then the wing nut goes back on and holds the tire when its being swung down. Its a lot easier than trying to undo the nuts..

You didnt read my procedure man! lol

D

Sorry D, got distracted by all the pictures. :whoops:

Meh, pictures are distracting.

D

You could do it without the bender....... Just sayin.

D

Yes, indeed I can do without...
But then it would not turn out that cool. ;p

Need to plan things out in my head first.
I'm like you, I love to make unique solutions, as long as it does not affect the result or durability!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using IH8MUD app.

The whole bender thing isnt too complex. My buddy Sam, who helps me make my stuff, made one up using a bunch of random parts. The dies are from a cheap harbor freight kinker. He welded two 90* sections together so he can go 180* and filled in the gap in the dies themselves with a bead of weld (the pipe dies are a little too wide for tube so a couple beads of weld and a grind are needed to make the tube fit snugly and not distort). He used the generic "home made tube bender" patterns off the intrabox to make the frame. Its pretty neat.

If youre looking to do a couple easy bends that dont go past 90* the kinker I mentioned earlier would do the job if you modified the dies. It will leave a couple dents where the top rollers make contact w the tube but they arent noticeable and the bends look great.

The front "stinger" and rear bumper corners on my 80 were done with the kinker and they look good.

Tacogrille025-1.jpg

Tacogrille024-1.jpg

The one I did for the tacoma was done before the dies were modded. You can see the flat spots if you look closely.

Tacogrille001-1.jpg

Tacogrille002-1.jpg

D

Sent from the moon using moonman app.

Last edited:
Messed around a little today and managed to slap together a keep the friggin carrier open pin dealie. I used a piece of square tube with a bunch of holes drilled through it to mount the pin/spring then made a ramp out of 1/4" that I bent. The pin hits the ramp and rises then drops when the gate is fully open. Works decent.

booster067.jpg

booster066.jpg

booster065.jpg

booster068.jpg

D

Nice work on the swing down.

Those stock Tacoma wheels looks great in black. I had the same wheels on my Tacoma but ended up getting the teflon ATX Chamber wheels to replace them. When I moved from Utah the stockers got left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom