New addition, 85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the axle breathers extended to the engine bay the other day and while doing so noticed that my ram assist lines were touching the pulleys on the engine. I must have twisted them up while reinstalling the ram. No damage to the lines, just a couple scuff marks. Zip tied everything all nice nice and now theres no more rubbing.

D

Its raining today so I sketched out a front bumper and revised the rear 1/4 protection/tire carrier.

Im thinking of just going with a regular swing out instead of the swing down now. 4x4 labs spindle/barrel hinge on the ds and 2 shackle bushings/sleeves/pins on the other. The barrel hinge would act as extra support for the spindle and be attached to the top of the 1/4 protection. The ps would have tabs welded to the 1/4 protection and the sleeve/bushing combo would be on the gate. Tire would be offset to the ds.

Barrel hinge

http://product-image.tradeindia.com/00342818/b/0/Barrel-Hinges.jpg

Tacogrille021-1.jpg

Tacogrille022-1.jpg

This is what I came up with for the front, kind of a metal tech/demello angry eye hybrid thing. Just a rough couple drawings to get an idea of what it would look like.

Tacogrille019-1.jpg

Tacogrille020.jpg

Tacogrille018-1.jpg

The existing fender tubes would tie into the angry eye part of the proposed bumper.

D

Last edited:
Got the last ingredient for the tire carrier this am. Wow, whoever said the 4x4 labs spindles are beefy wasnt lying. Freaking massive.

Tacogrille026-1.jpg

Tacogrille027-1.jpg

Now I just have to build something with it...

D

Beat the piss out of it today and it did great. Found out the tires do rub a little on the bolts on the inside of the front fender but not enough to cause damage. Got er flexed out pretty decent a couple times too. Now I just have to figure out why my brake pedal got right hard halfway through the run. Had to jam on it and it would still just barely stop..

Teaser vid..

YouTube - ‪Darwin in the Big Yota‬‏

D

Are you running that front D60 full width or was it cut down?

Rear 14 Bolt - do you have SRW hubs or dually hubs? (They look like SRW in the one picture)

That's a heck of an FJ60. Nice going.

Thanks, the 60 is full width if I had to guess and the 14 is an SRW since the hubs dont seem to stick out that much.. Looking back I should have gotten the 14 bolt shave kit from ruff stuff instead of just the diff cover. I managed to get the bottom of the diff hung up in a little notch on a boulder and couldnt for the life of me go forwards or backwards. Took a winch from a jeep.......

I really have to move my ass and do up that tire carrier. The spare, sub, and hilift were jumpin around way too much.

D

Last edited:
Last edited:
What master cylinder are you running?

Sorry for tech q! but I'm putting tons in my FJ60 (slowly)

No problem but I didnt build this pile so Im still trying to figure out whats what. The master is an aisin unit so Im thinking the booster is stock toy as well.

You can just make it out in this pic.

37s011.jpg

D

Thanks-that looks like a GM unit with an adapter. If it is Aisin and it gives good braking, I would love the part #.

Nice truck. Very heavy duty build. I like it.

Not much progress besides the brake booster swap. Brakes are great and it feels like I can lock em up.

While doing the booster and messing around under the dash I somehow managed to f up my speedo.. Damn thing worked just fine and now nothing. Everything else in the cluster works fine. Also, I thought I had fixed the rear wiper the other day but the bastard still works sporadically. The connector in the hatch by the wiper motor was a bit corroded so I cleaned it up and gave er a shot of lube. Worked great while I had things apart but now it only works when it feels like it. Was gonna take another look this afternoon but when I tried it it worked so I said f it..

No wheeling for the next couple weeks due to work so Im gonna try to rip out the stereo and get it all sorted and hopefully sold. Maybe get that pinion guard on.

D

Had em at 18 psi. We had to run about 20 minutes of twisty logging roads to get out and I had no way of airing up. I think Im going to keep them there since it rides nice..

The booster is a 91 4runner unit. What Ive figured out through searching is that any 4 post toy booster should work.

D

Last edited:
Well, I finally got off my ass and did some work. Got the stereo all ripped out and sold off (kept the 4 channel amp), bought a new alpine deck, and made some mounting brackets for it (the old deck was loose in the dash and didnt come with the brackets). Just waiting on a buddy to come figure out the wiring thing and it should be good to go.

Finally got that last wet okole cover on the back seat now that theres no amps in the way. All of the covers fit great with the exception of the rear bench. It seems like they could have made it bigger...

Also got started on the tire carrier thing Ive been yapping about for a while now. We have the labs spindle sunk into the bumper and gusseted, the main tubes for the 1/4 protection are welded on, the main carrier tube has the labs spindle shell/bushing shell welded on either side, and we threw on some shackle mounts that I had lying around.

We went a little bigger than planned with the 1/4 tubes but I like the way it looks and for not being fully gusseted its pretty stout.

booster010.jpg

booster011.jpg

booster012.jpg

booster013.jpg

booster014.jpg

booster015.jpg

booster020.jpg

booster021.jpg

booster016.jpg

booster017.jpg

booster019.jpg

booster022.jpg

booster023.jpg

booster024.jpg

Planning to finish it on friday with any luck and I have till then to decide if I really want a swing down dealie coming off the swing out... It would be cool and make it easy to get that tire on/off but it would also be more work/weight.

D

Last edited:
Managed to do a crappy priming job on the 1/4 hoops and everywhere else we welded. Then it rained for about 20 minutes and now I have rain drop impressions on the ps, the ds isnt as bad. At least the steel isnt orange like it was this morning, been raining for 2 days now and I ended up driving home last night in a downpour...

While driving home in said downpour I noticed just how great this van drives. The new headlights combined with slc62's harness worked great as did the rear wiper (at least it worked when I needed it). It does seem to throw a little water on the hwy when its raining with the new tires...

Also made a uhmw? panel to replace the oe carpet covered fiberboard on the inside of the tailgate. It got mashed last time out and was a pain to slide stuff on when loading the cargo area. Had some coarse thread bolts that threaded into the stock holes so I countersunk them into the plastic to mount it. Added a strip of this rubber stuff I have thats sticky on both sides to the perimeter of the panel to make it rattle free. Turned out ok, Ill snap some pics tomorrow.

D

Knocked out the majority of the carrier dealie today, just have to glue the tire fastening device to the drop down capacitor and it should be ready for paint.

Ended up going with the 4x labs spindle on the bottom ds and a 600lb barrel hinge on top Wow was it ever a pain to line that crap up.... On the ps we added another bushing set on top at the end of the cross bar going to the barrel hinge, two upright tubes tie it to the main tube. Couple gussets here and there, some grinding... Then we got to the swing down. 2 bushing sets attached to the lower carrier tube that act as a pivot and one to the upper tube to secure it in the upright position. Managed to position the tire so it doesnt obscure the signal light or the license plate which is a bonus. Its kinda high but thats what the swing down is for.

Crappy cell pics.

Carrier3.jpg

Carrier2.jpg

Carrier1.jpg

Carrier4.jpg

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom