New 80 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I picked up an 80 to complement the 100. Its a factory locked 97, in desert dune/moonglow, purchased from Bat recently. Used to belong to a mud member at some point apparently.

It will be used mainly for overlanding like the 100.. maybe some more aggressive trails. I'm planning on bumpers, small lift, probably 35s although 37s are tempting. But first a good baseline.

The previous owner did a good amount of amount of work, and it's in good shape for being so old. However there is still work to be done. I pulled a pending p0401 code with no CEL, but I am in the process of solving it. Based on the exhaust smell something isn't right. Planning to check the timing and a smog test (probably fail) tomorrow so I can get the CA registration process started. Been reading on here and the FSM to help find the problem.

We do travel to some remote locations, and will be doing so with a baby now. So I like a lot of preventative maintenance.

I am debating on doing the head gasket. 207k miles on the original. If I did not have a family member who owns a machine shop, I wouldn't be doing this, but I will just be paying for parts. Also considering a very light polish and possibly port the head. Again because it's free. Lots of mixed opinions on this from what I read.

While I'm in there, I will test/replace everything EGR related per the FSM including VSV VCV, all vacuum lines, coolant hoses, flush with red coolant, thermostat, PHH and the pipe, heater switch/valve, fix the oil pump leak up front, timing chain, examine the rear main seal. Also need to check out the flashing rear locker light that won't stay on.

Is the oil pump something I should consider replacing while I'm there, or are they're generally a lifetime unit?

Anything else you guys suggest to examine/replace while the head is out? I've been doing some reading here, but so much to read and such little time.

Thank you for your help.

Rear main seal. Delete rear heater core hoses. Delete/bypass LSPV. Delete ABS all together. Replace engine mounts (3). Replace front drive shaft for a woody. Extend brake lines. Extend diff breathers and more :D

Rear main seal. Delete rear heater core hoses. Delete/bypass LSPV. Delete ABS all together. Replace engine mounts (3). Replace front drive shaft for a woody. Extend brake lines. Extend diff breathers and more :D
Forgot these have the LSPV. Will add that to the inspection list, along with the rest of your suggestions. Not sure about deleting ABS though!

Sounds like my old one.
Is this it? It will be put to good use and will be well maintained!

PXL_20230428_013334663.jpg

$20k for that clean of a 3x truck is a pretty killer deal. Wonder if it was the color?

Quit taking our good candidates

-Thanks
NC

Congrats on a nice looking purchase.
You’d be surprised where 2.5” and 35s will take you. If the 100 is already kitted out for overland I’d be tempted to keep that one tame.

Yes, that’s the one. You just bought it off a guy in Nebraska. He just bought it off of me. I just bought it off a guy in NC.
Yes saw that on the Carfax. She finally made it out to the west coast! Solid truck.

Quit taking our good candidates

-Thanks
NC

Congrats on a nice looking purchase.
You’d be surprised where 2.5” and 35s will take you. If the 100 is already kitted out for overland I’d be tempted to keep that one tame.
Sorry! It's become hard to find clean 80s here in southern California... at least ones that are reasonably priced. Never thought I'd buy from Bat, but here we are. Will be wheeling it bone stock for a while after my baseline, to see how it compares to the basically stock 100 (33s, AHC, ATRAC and sliders).

Quick update. Passed CA smog!

Also decided to pull the entire motor while I'm in there, will definitely port and polish the head as well. Looking at options for larger valves and maybe a stroker kit for the 1FZ but not too many options.

Welcome to Mud….. sounds like you’ve already been infected with the Muditis where once rational people feel it’s necessary to try and make one of the best vehicles ever built better. Pulling the engine at 207k? The truck looks like it was babied its whole life.

Welcome to Mud….. sounds like you’ve already been infected with the Muditis where once rational people feel it’s necessary to try and make one of the best vehicles ever built better. Pulling the engine at 207k? The truck looks like it was babied its whole life.

So far it's been short 2 quarts of oil, smells like it's burning oil, and I have identified oil leaking from the multiple locations. So it's not as babied as one would think.

Will be traveling to remote locations with the family so it's a small investment for many years of peace of mind. If this was my DD around town would def not go down this road.

Again I'm just paying for parts, so it's a small price to pay.

Quick update. Passed CA smog!

Also decided to pull the entire motor while I'm in there, will definitely port and polish the head as well. Looking at options for larger valves and maybe a stroker kit for the 1FZ but not too many options.
That was fast.

Unclear. I would love to do some upgrades to make some more power, but all the homework I've done so far makes me think I'll probably just get new rings and bearings and call it a day.

Brian Crower makes a 5.0 stroker kit but it's over 7k..so not doing that. They also carry 1.5mm oversized intake and exhaust valves which could be beneficial when port/polishing the head, but I haven't seen anyone go down this road from my brief search. I'm afraid it would need a tune or something with bigger valves and a port polish but not sure. Don't have the time or energy to experiment.

I was reading the 5.5L stroker thread, that thing is ridiculous! But I want something quick and easy which doesn't exist for the 1FZ I guess.

Other options are the supercharger which is overpriced for the gains it provides (if you can find one for sale). Or LS swap which I'm not doing.

Any input is appreciated

Unclear. I would love to do some upgrades to make some more power, but all the homework I've done so far makes me think I'll probably just get new rings and bearings and call it a day.

Brian Crower makes a 5.0 stroker kit but it's over 7k..so not doing that. They also carry 1.5mm oversized intake and exhaust valves which could be beneficial when port/polishing the head, but I haven't seen anyone go down this road from my brief search. I'm afraid it would need a tune or something with bigger valves and a port polish but not sure. Don't have the time or energy to experiment.

I was reading the 5.5L stroker thread, that thing is ridiculous! But I want something quick and easy which doesn't exist for the 1FZ I guess.

Other options are the supercharger which is overpriced for the gains it provides (if you can find one for sale). Or LS swap which I'm not doing.

Any input is appreciated
Why aren’t you considering a LS swap?

Doesn't hurt to check things out but often at 200k your oil consumption will primarily be from valve stem seals and external leaks. It's less common for there to be oil consumption due to ring/cylinder sealing issues or for there to be relevant bottom end wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom