Never ending "shimmy" battle.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserhead05 said:
Alright,

I just got back home. Only cost 55 bucks so im looking over receipt as im heading home. Receipt says....

"Balanced tires as best as possible tried to check road force machine unable to spin under load. Vehicle has other issues loose steering. ABS problems"

So, ABS problem came about after my birf job. i was extremely careful with the sensor but they still go off at when coming to a stop. The loose steering i get, all the steering components are original...yes, i know, they are probablu due but one thing at a time.

Why he could not spin tires under load is beyond me....shimmy is still there.

$55?!?!?!?!?! That's a load of money. Didn't your tires come with free lifetime rotation and balance? Mine did. Haven't paid for one yet. I take it in every 3K on the money. Feels like a new ride everytime. MY MT's are tough to balance...

-o-

Beno,

Dont make me feel worse then i already do. Guess you learn something every day huh. Now i either need to go back and get my money back, live with it, or dish out more and have it done right....hmm

Cruiserhead05 said:
Beno,

Dont make me feel worse then i already do. Guess you learn something every day huh. Now i either need to go back and get my money back, live with it, or dish out more and have it done right....hmm

I'm not trying to make you feel bad man...just trying to reiterate Doug's point that you should get what you pay for when doing these types of things.

Sorry dude. Good luck.
-onur

beno said:
I'm not trying to make you feel bad man...just trying to reiterate Doug's point that you should get what you pay for when doing these types of things.

Sorry dude. Good luck.
-onur

I understand....and thanks

Brandon,

Hang in there. I don't think $55 is way too out of line to balance 4 tires. Maybe $10 high at the most, so don't let everyone make you feel bad about that. Last time I got 2 tires balanced at a shop where I didn't buy the tires, it cost me 10-12 bucks ea plus tax. You DO need to go have a word with the shop mgr where you went though (don't even mess around with the guy at the counter) and explain the situation. Tell him the whole point of you calling around and driving to HIS/HER shop was to use the road force balancer. Ask for either:

a) a complete refund so that you can get it done at his/her competitors since you were treated deceitfully at his shop, by not telling you that the machine was jacked before hand. The ABS/steering stuff shouldn't have anything to do with their ability to use the Hunter machine.

b) if you went to a chain, get a promise to have it done at another location, no charge to you, since it's your time and mileage your wasting, or

c) when their machine is fixed (in the next week, max) a free road force balance.

Be nice, yet firm.

On my 15x8 steel rims with 305/70/16 MTR's, three of the four tires took less than 1/2 oz of weight when the wheel and rim matched up. My worst vibration was at 65-75, and the whole passenger's seat shook like it was gonna come off the mounts. I used to get quite the massage....

Cruiserhead05 said:
"Balanced tires as best as possible tried to check road force machine unable to spin under load. Vehicle has other issues loose steering. ABS problems"

Why he could not spin tires under load is beyond me....shimmy is still there.

Reading this Brandon makes me concur with Doug. You got ripped, that is the whole purpose of that machine. I have had several sets of tires done by that machine for that exact purpose and never heard of that. Was it a reputable shop you went to or one of the mega chains? I know of an extremelly good shop in Gainesville I could PM you if you like. I might go back and try and get my $55 back. Maybe to some thats not alot of money but heck thats 3/4 of a tank of gas right now.

Reffug,

I'll PM about the shop in Gainesville. i think i may know which one your talking about.

Was it a reputable shop? Well, it was a dealer in Warrenton so it should have been reputable....at least i thought. Turns out there is only 3 places in warrenton that have the gsp9700, i chose the one next the sheetz, you'll know what im talking about.

Stealers, I would never go to one unless for free warranty work, never for tires. Better to go to a tire/brake shop where they do it all the time and have "lifetime" balance, with stores all over the country/region.

IdahoDoug said:
Anecdotally, I have noted from having owned and driven many 80s that they seem inordinately sensitive to shimmies. It's kind of a moderate body shudder that I feel is easily started and its frequency is well in the range of freeway speed tire rotation. The 97 is less prone to it than our 93. I suspect that adding an ARB front bumper will reduce it as I think it makes a good mass dampener as well as stiffening up the front box a bit. If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the front springs initial spring rate and the front frame stubs flex rate are too close. A shock tower brace would also help.

DougM

I agree with you completely on this Doug. It is something I have noticed about the 80. Other than the new BFG ATs (285/70) my truck is completely stock. In one of my field areas I have to drive about 45 miles of wash-board dirt roads. The road is good, but those wash-boards hurt my kidneys in the 80. I hate to say it, but the Excursion I use to get from the motor pool was happier on this road. I hope that once I upgrade the suspension, this will be alleviated to some degree. I think this is a place where IFS beats a straight axile, but I am not hindered by knowing much just a hunch.

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom