Need to repaint my already re-painted Hood. What's best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DocuDude

Took me 10 years to find this space
Threads
So I painted my faded hood two years ago, and though it looks better than faded, my rookie painting mistakes are apparent.
The paint is not even, lighter/darker streaks etc.
It makes my otherwise rust-free, non-accident truck look crappy.

And yes, I went to an auto-paint store and had them mix it fresh in a spray can to match Toyota paint.
I have skills, but auto painting is not one of them.

Rather than me trying again, I may just bring it to Maaco, and let them repaint the hood.

What's best way to prep for that?

If you bring it to any bargain paint shop make sure YOU do all the prep work! I don't know how many vehicles I have re-done after the owner had a bargain paint shop do their work! They charge so much less because they do 0% prep, they don't prime, and they shoot (basically) house paint!
BUT..... if you do a quality job on sanding everything out, removing anything you don't want painted, feather everything in, and put a nice wet sanding to it, they can lay down a low cost finish that doesn't look too bad.
Have you ever heard the term "90% of what makes a paint job turn out perfect is the prep work"?...... it's true!
Take your time! Use guide coats, and sand, and sand, and sand, and sand! And when you Sand use a block with paper wrapped on it....... NO DA's!

I did mine with rattle can. Looks like poop because I hastily did it one day in direct sunlight. If you spray in the shade, your results will be way better as the spray patterns will even out more with less overspray. Once properly coated, you can bring it into the sun.

Like the poster above said, prepwork is key. I wet sanded all the old paint off till I got to the toyota paint, then I just made sure it was smooth to my liking(not show truck smooth). So now since I had good prep I can just color sand the black and respray a second coat in the shade or at dusk depending on temps.( Cali Truck)

Last edited:
I see people saying wet sand, that's good advice as long as you don't go past the recommended grit which tends to be around 400 grit and rarely 600. First off, some dawn dish soap mix a solution of hot water and dawn...heavy suds. Use a clean rag and wash the hood down including under edges for a few inches be Sure to continually rinse and wring the rag. Get a fresh bucket of lightly sudsy hot water and rewash with another rag. Rinse thoroughly. Use a red scotch pad from place that sells automotive paint supplies. It's best to use it beneath a rubber block. Keep a bucket of soapy water handy and dip your scotch pad in the water and let the block weight do the cutting work, meaning don't press down as you're sanding. When you get to the original Toyota paint rinse the hood again. Repeat the original washing procedure... with a stack of clean rags handy use some surface prep/ wax,tar, grease and adhesive remover. Clean it twice. Block sand the original Toyota paint with whatever grit paper is recommended for your paint system. If you're just having Macco paint it, you need to ask them them what to use. Also, you're going to want to use a primer sealer at a minimum and you'll need to treat any bare metal with ospho and an etch primer. Which means you'll need to do some feathering if you have any bare metal. I guess this is my way of explaining that you should just take the hood to a reputable paint shop...I have learned that macco isn't a deal at all, often times their repairs cost you more money to get fixed properly later on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom