Need to find a trail...for an LMTV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow Crusierheads, I need some help with work!

I need a place to drive one of these off-road:

http://www.4wdonline.com/SS/PiCs37/4x4FQ.jpg

The vehicle is a LMTV (Light Medium Tactical Vehicle) built by Stewart and Stevenson. 40" tires, 8 ft wide, ~8tons @ curb weight...

The company I work needs to do some offroad testing in one of these vehicles. The closer to Atlanta, the better.

Obviously the size of the vehicle is a problem for many common 4x4 trails, so a wider trail is a necessity.

We are looking for rough roads, but not necessarily extremely difficult terrain such as steep hill climbs or the like. "Smaller" rocks/boulders or washout areas would be great...something that you could MAYBE take a "normal" truck on, if you were really adventurous. And even then you wouldn't want to go faster than the lowest gear would take you because it was so uncomfortable or felt like it was going to break something. Maybe something like this:
http://www.grayrockorv.com/TrailPictures/SnotRock_2.jpg

Think: 19 year old kid putting his foot to the floor on some washed out, unmaintained Afghan mountain pass going as fast as he can and possibly faster than the truck should be going. That's what we need.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Craft

-1973 FJ-55, 2002 Tacoma

Gray Rock, Morris Mountain, or River Rock would all work perfectly.

Sounds like a law suit plantiff investigation to me. Perhaps an unfortunate military acceident.

Go to Gray Rock you already found it and it's no to far away.
Or call a local quarry and get permission for your limited testing.

No, it's really not...that was work we did on a Ford Explorer NHTSA Road Edge Recovery...let's just say you don't want to be doing that in a stock vehicle without outriggers...

This is for the US Army TACOM, and we typically do long term testing at one of their facilities or NATC (Nevada Automotive Testing Center), which BTW has 3000 miles of roads, 90% or more is offroad. Pretty fun. Too bad I can't take my cruiser.

But for now we just need to do some baseline testing in the area if possible.

We'll check these places out...but are there any fireroads or National Forest roads in N. GA that may fit the bill?

Thanks,
Michael

Gray Rock, Morris Mountain, or River Rock would all work perfectly.

Ditto, except for Morris Mountain-it is just driving a flat trail until you get to obstacles and they are difficult.

Fellow Crusierheads, I need some help with work!

I need a place to drive one of these off-road:

http://www.4wdonline.com/SS/PiCs37/4x4FQ.jpg

The vehicle is a LMTV (Light Medium Tactical Vehicle) built by Stewart and Stevenson. 40" tires, 8 ft wide, ~8tons @ curb weight...

The company I work needs to do some offroad testing in one of these vehicles. The closer to Atlanta, the better.

Obviously the size of the vehicle is a problem for many common 4x4 trails, so a wider trail is a necessity.

We are looking for rough roads, but not necessarily extremely difficult terrain such as steep hill climbs or the like. "Smaller" rocks/boulders or washout areas would be great...something that you could MAYBE take a "normal" truck on, if you were really adventurous. And even then you wouldn't want to go faster than the lowest gear would take you because it was so uncomfortable or felt like it was going to break something. Maybe something like this:
http://www.grayrockorv.com/TrailPictures/SnotRock_2.jpg

Think: 19 year old kid putting his foot to the floor on some washed out, unmaintained Afghan mountain pass going as fast as he can and possibly faster than the truck should be going. That's what we need.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Craft

-1973 FJ-55, 2002 Tacoma

Hey! I think I saw one of these a couple of weeks ago around the Westside Atlanta area (Taqueria del Sol). Could it have been?

Trail one at Tellico seems to vibrate things off my truck

At tellico ORV trails 4, 6, 8 and maybe 9 if you have a winch would be good testing ground for the truck... About a 3-3.5 hr drive from Atlanta.

None of them are particularly tight, and most of each trail can be done in a stock 4x4 with somewhat larger than stock tires and some body damage potential.

Morris Mountain has open run this weekend, I'll be there tomorrow.
See you there... you too Bailey, John, Dan, and Brett

Doh, didn't see this in time...and I needed a friggin break :)

6 weeks of wheeling in a row...sheesh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom