Need recommendation for Seattle area dealer, '84 fuel tank recall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '84 is eligible for the recall according to the vin search on Toyota.com/recall.

It came home on a trailer a few months ago.

Now after cleaning up possibly the worst desmog job ever by the PO, and installing a THCarb, fixing all the lights, gutting the interior, and cleaning out 3 shopvac loads of rodent debris, bleached, pressure washed, etc...

Its running and driving. On to the next thing, many many details. Lets start with a new fuel tank!!

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in Seattle to contact for the fuel tank recall? I'm sure any of them could do it, but... I don't interact with dealerships at all, so I have no idea who to call that may have any experience at all working on older LCs. I live north of the city, Everett would be ideal, but I do commute to DT Seattle for work.

I thought about calling a couple of the local specialty shops, but I don't want to put anyone on the spot for "professionally" recommending a local dealership, just not something I'm comfortable doing.

Same boat here. I contacted one dealership, they said the parts weren't available. The next dealership scheduled my time for the replacement and everything went off without a hitch. Note: purchase a new fuel sending unit and fuel pick up. There's a gasket and screws that go with it. @Ian Crawford used Cruiser outfitters? and I used @beno. In addition, I supplied about ten feet of fuel line to supplement the missing parts with the kit. Good luck and I wish you much success working with dealerships. When I left the service area, one of the technicians yelled at me and said "Thats a real jeep right there! They don't build jeeps like that anymore!" I slowly released my hand from the grip of my pistol and drove away.

I've ordered parts with Toyota of Kirkland a handful of times and have always had a positive experience. However, they have never done work on mine, just purchased parts through them.

Give @torfab a call and see what they recommend. They are in near the water in Everrett. I'm sure they have an idea of which dealerships around have felt with that previously.

Yeah, that was my very first thought, but I thought I'd throw it out here first. Being on both sides of that in the past, when I was a CAT mechanic, I always felt a bit uncomfortable when someone asked me to recommend a good Detroit, or perkins, or John Deer mechanic. However, although I've never personally dealt with them, I would trust Torfabs opinion 100%. I guess I'm just reluctant to ask unless it comes to that.

Yeah, that was my very first thought, but I thought I'd throw it out here first. Being on both sides of that in the past, when I was a CAT mechanic, I always felt a bit uncomfortable when someone asked me to recommend a good Detroit, or perkins, or John Deer mechanic. However, although I've never personally dealt with them, I would trust Torfabs opinion 100%. I guess I'm just reluctant to ask unless it comes to that.

Get on the Seattle CrusierHeads website and get on the google group. Like Mud, a wealth of info spanning 40-200 Series knowledge. Adam at TorFab has steered me right in the past and comes recomended in my opinion. Anything crusier Related with Seattle geography these guys have a very good working knowledge of. I have heard good things about the Toyota parts dept in Tacoma @Landpimp has developed a Mud a relationship from what I have heard. Personally no knowledge or the parts or service department but maybe John can comment.

Shoot me a PM if I could help any more, I'm just up the road of you.

So I've been talking to a great parts guy at a local dealer that came recommended by a local specialty shop (you can probably fill in that blank). All the recall parts are available with the exception of 4 (I think 4) molded fuel hoses. He spoke to service, and even went as far as contacting the district Toyota rep, and they WILL NOT perform the recall due to the hand full of parts that are no longer available. My next call will be to Toyota customer service where I fully expect to hear about the "buyback and crush" offer. I want to at least let them know that there is still a demand for 60 series parts out there.

Two parts and they are not molded. I will did up the part numbers when I get home this weekend. They are just fuel lines.

Two parts and they are not molded. I will did up the part numbers when I get home this weekend. They are just fuel lines.

So it seems like I may be yet another victim of the recall runaround. Oh boy...

Thanks in advance Comet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom