Need Rear Disk Brake Conversion Advice / Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am interested in doing a Rear Disk Brake conversion on my 1982 FJ40. The truck has a split case, and the parking brakes are out at the wheels instead of mounted on the Tcase.

Has anyone done this conversion, using the calipers with e-brakes incorporated into the caliper, such as offered by TSM or Downey Off-road? What has been your experience with mud / debris causing problems with these calipers?

I would like to keep my Parking / E-brake rather than going to a line-lock, but I would like to hear from someone about their experience before making a decision to purchase a kit.

Does anyone have other alternatives? Such as changing the parking brake out to a Tcase mounted system as on earlier FJ40's, or converting to another type of ebrake. Would appreciate any advice and / or help.

Thanks much,
Jim Dahlquist

Have already done that, but thanks. No specific information regarding the late model FJ40's with split case. Plenty of info about rear disks though. I started to say I had already done search in my first post but thought I would run the risk w/o having to do that!

largenfirm said:
Jim,

take a look over in the Tech Section, and then try out the handy-dandy "search" function.

Kindest,
Kirk

There is not any specific information about the 08/80 and later 40 series rear disc brake conversion in the FAQ, search or Tech links bud...

Perhaps someone in the 60 series section has done what you are looking at Jim, since they run the same rear brakes and parking brake set up.

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks Steve, I appreciate you chiming in with that information. I am not having any luck finding any one who has done the RDB on a late model 40 and preserved the e-brake.

You can get Calipers with Built-in Parking Brakes from Downey
Downey

Click on "Chassis Components" then "Disk Brake Conversion"

I'm pretty sure that the rear disc setup on your late model 40 is identical to 60 series setups. That being said, I have yet to hear from anyone who actually got the parking brake to actually work well.

My understanding is that you use el dorado calipers which have cable actuated parking brake. However, they seem to require much more cable travel than the cruiser's parking brake handle will produce. Perhaps you can find someone that actually got it to work well. I'd love to hear since I haven't done this on my 60 for exactly that reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom