Need opinions on which LX to keep ('99 or '06) (1 Viewer)

Which one to keep?

Votes: 8 50.0%

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd bounce this off the experts as I'm sure I'm overlooking some things. Which one should I keep? Both are my preferred color (galactic gray) and rust free. I'm very familiar with the differences by year, but not sure how much all of the repairs and services completed on the '99 should factor in to the analysis. The plan is to do a moderate build and it would never be a daily driver.

1999 LX
- Just did new steering rack, TB/WP/pulleys/tensioner, radiator, fan pulley, oil pump leak repaired (was brutal!), UBJ and LBJ's and rebooted CV's
- Valve covers and plugs/tube seals replaced
- ABS pump replaced within past 8 years
- AHC deleted (converted to LC suspension)

2006 LX
- needs full TB/WP service including fan pulley
- needs radiator
- CV's need rebooting
- Assuming it will need steering rack and ABS pump at some point... ouch!
- AHC works but likely needs some TLC and new globes (have a new OME kit that could be installed)

Thank you for any thoughts

Sell the 06 to someone who wants a nice machine to baseline and keep AHC. Use the funds to build your 99.

Seems like the 99 will be less work based on the maintenance.

I originally came here to say keep the ‘06 but you’ve kept up with maintenance on the 99 so well.

i would keep the 99, personally im not a huge fan of the ahc but thats personal preference. their both similar milage and seem like they both need/needed about the same amount of work at similar milage so unless theres a major issue with one over the other just keep the one you like most.

or think of it this way, which can you sell for more and use that money to put into the other for pm or mods

Sell the 06 to someone who wants a nice machine to baseline and keep AHC. Use the funds to build your 99.
i would keep the 99, personally im not a huge fan of the ahc but thats personal preference. their both similar milage and seem like they both need/needed about the same amount of work at similar milage so unless theres a major issue with one over the other just keep the one you like most.

or think of it this way, which can you sell for more and use that money to put into the other for pm or mods
Yeah, I’m kinda torn on the AHC part. I do fully intend on doing the needed services on the ‘06 either way. Just need to decide if VVT, 5 speed, VGRS, 7 years newer, etc., are worth it knowing the steering rack and ABS pump will likely need to be replaced at some point in the near future.

Either you sell the ‘99 but most of the $ goes to maintenance on the ‘06 or you sell the ‘06 and only spend minimal on the ‘99.

Seems selling the ‘06 would yield you more $ for whatever since thr ‘99 doesn’t have immediate needs.

Or sell both and buy a LX570

Either you sell the ‘99 but most of the $ goes to maintenance on the ‘06 or you sell the ‘06 and only spend minimal on the ‘99.

Seems selling the ‘06 would yield you more $ for whatever since thr ‘99 doesn’t have immediate needs.

Or sell both and buy a LX570
You’re 100% right! I figure it will be a wash either way. We actually already have a 200 series or I would totally go that route.

Keep the '06 if you enjoy the 5 speed. May be there is a big market for '99 since people love no factory navigation.

That only scratches the surface of what 98-99s don't have - that some people love. They are basic, durable and easy to maintain. By comparison 06-07s are pretty much a dumpster fire.

That only scratches the surface of what 98-99s don't have - that some people love. They are basic, durable and easy to maintain. By comparison 06-07s are pretty much a dumpster fire.
I’m interested in hearing more about this. Seems like the 5 speed is generally considered a positive so I assume you mean the 06-07’s are more problematic because of VVT and integrated stereo/GPS/HVAC controls? Curious of any other takeaways I may be overlooking.

I’m interested in hearing more about this. Seems like the 5 speed is generally considered a positive so I assume you mean the 06-07’s are more problematic because of VVT and integrated stereo/GPS/HVAC controls? Curious of any other takeaways I may be overlooking.
Oh and I failed to note that the '99 has the 2 pinion front diff which I assume is a negative

Huh. My 07 with 254k miles has been the opposite of a dumpster fire. You must be talking about Audis.

Oh and I failed to note that the '99 has the 2 pinion front diff which I assume is a negative

2 pinion failures are very rare, going back to the 80 series. You, like many others, have been duped by a mud myth. 4 pinion are way more common - because they were under engineered for A-trac.

Huh. My 07 with 254k miles has been the opposite of a dumpster fire. You must be talking about Audis.

I'll put together a list of unique 06-07 and VVT problems. It's quite a list. Zero of these problems exist on the 98-99s. It's amazing how many 06-07 problem threads we have on this forum giving the limited number of vehicles that sold new in the U.S. I think the A team engineers were working on the 200 series.

Sell both and get a 200 series :flipoff2:

Honestly, the only feature I wish for my built up '98 LX is a 5-speed and only because I travel up through a lot of mountains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom