1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need new keys (Lexus LX450)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Greddy0, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Greddy0

Greddy0

Well, the wife lost a set of keys to the cars :mad: Now I need to find a replacement for the Lexus LX450 and the remote fob. Dealer wants $55 for the key and $90 for the remote!! :'(
    Anybody have any leads on a cheaper alternative to dealer price. Thanks all

2. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    $55 for a Lexus key cut from the key codemachine (not copied) from the dealer is about average. The remote can be bought from eBay for $20-30 and you can program it yourself.

The cheapest key is to have a locksmith copy one of your original keys. Some of them have the machine that can cut Lexus type keys and Lexus type banks are available aftermarket without the Lexus logo.

Anyone knows where to buy one of the original Lexus plastic blanks?

3. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=97 FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=10654;start=msg95653#msg95653 date=1075154133]
    $55 for a Lexus key cut from the key codemachine (not copied) from the dealer is about average. The remote can be bought from eBay for $20-30 and you can program it yourself.

The cheapest key is to have a locksmith copy one of your original keys. Some of them have the machine that can cut Lexus type keys and Lexus type banks are available aftermarket without the Lexus logo.

Anyone knows where to buy one of the original Lexus plastic blanks?
    [/quote]

I was wondering when I made a copy for my cruiser that my key-shop had original Lexus blanks, so I used them.

Mike

4. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

You obviously did not search for Lexus key blanks on ebay as well :)

cheers,
    Frank.

5. Darwood

Darwood

What if I don't know my key code and the only key I have is a POS copy that doesn't even work in the passenger side door?

6. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    LX450 keys are not the same as Cruiser keys. They do not have external cuts. They are cut along the inside of the shaft by a laser cutter. They look like Benz and other high-line keys. The equipment to cut them can approach 6 figures and is not on every street corner. The Lexus dealers actually order the key to come in cut. 45 to 50 dollars is about average for this type of key.

D-

7. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=10654;start=msg95670#msg95670 date=1075159410]
    What if I don't know my key code and the only key I have is a POS copy that doesn't even work in the passenger side door?
    [/quote]
    My understanding is that the dealer can determine your key code through your VIN, and hence make a key that is exactly the same as the original.

8. Darwood

Darwood

I asked my local dealer's part's guy that and he said my truck was too old to find the key code on. It's '97.

9. cruiserdan

Your local dealer is incorrect.

I have been able to retrieve codes as far back as 1990 on certain vehicles. There will be rare instances where the code for an individual vehicle will be un-available, such as a rental unit but the vast majority can be had. Your dealer is either lazy or un-informed.

10. Darwood

Darwood

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10654;start=msg95800#msg95800 date=1075176144]
    Your dealer is either lazy or un-informed.
    [/quote]

I would say both. I have never (apart from Dan) had a good experience with a parts guy. They all behave as if you were some sort of inconvenience to their real job... which if I wasn't mistaken was to sell parts to people?

Hey Dan is it at all possible for you to get me keys for my truck? If you don't respond to this I'm gonna call you tomorrow, and that is a threat. :D

11. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

The dealer should have no problem getting the codes for your keys from the vin. I had them make a new master key for me. They had no problems what so ever getting the code from the vin.

Doug

12. Asiarider

Asiarider

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10654;start=msg95683#msg95683 date=1075165238]
    LX450 keys are not the same as Cruiser keys. They do not have external cuts. They are cut along the inside of the shaft by a laser cutter. They look like Benz and other high-line keys. The equipment to cut them can approach 6 figures and is not on every street corner. The Lexus dealers actually order the key to come in cut. 45 to 50 dollars is about average for this type of key.

D-
    [/quote]

Dan,

that is funny because my original Landcruiser keys have no external cuts, only in the inside. That is the reason why I used a Lexus blank at the key shop when I made a copy for my wife. So you say that Landcruiser keys have external cuts??

Then why do I have a Lexus key??

Mike

13. cruiserdan

You have a Lexus-typeinternal cut key because that is the type of key used on Asian Cruisers. The North American Cruisers have external cut keys. I do not know why they were done that way.

14. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

One benefit that I see is that the internal cut keys would last much longer in Asian cruisers due to the road conditions - could be Mr. T intention if the cruisers in Aus. and Africa have the same type of keys ???

Just a thought,
    Frank.

15. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

Albums:
    It's harder to pick an Lexus-type internal cut key lock.

This is also part of the Lexus/Toyota mix-ups in the international market place. In some countries, the Lexus brand did not exist and the same vehicle were sold under the Toyota brand (e.g. LS, ES). Now that Toyota is actively opening the Lexus franchise around, the same vehicles are often sold under both Toyota and Lexus brand, often similarly configured except for the badge.

John

16. Greddy0

Greddy0

So, I guess the only source of a replacement key is the dealer :-\ And the replacement remote would also be the dealer or ebay :'( Thanks all

17. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

My dealer was also able to cut keys on my 97 with just the VIN. $55 doesn't seem all that bad especailly givne that you don't really have a key to copy...and it would be quite expensive to do so...

18. Landpimp

Landpimp

Dan of course is correct, I have had keys cut from the VIN code as far back as my 90 and maybe even the 86..........trick is you need a GOOD parts guy willing to do it, just takes a phone call.

When I sold Honda's I use to stick the key code decal on the bottom on the ash tray on all the cars I sold......and I have seen MANY cruisers with the key code writen down in the owners manual(not a great idea IMOP)

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=10654;start=msg95800#msg95800 date=1075176144]
    Your local dealer is incorrect.

I have been able to retrieve codes as far back as 1990 on certain vehicles. There will be rare instances where the code for an individual vehicle will be un-available, such as a rental unit but the vast majority can be had. Your dealer is either lazy or un-informed.
    [/quote]

19. delta21

delta21

I paid 55.00 for my replacement key at lexus of Greenville sc. It did not even have the fancy lexus logo:crybaby: They also quoted around 150.00 for a new remote including programming that they had to perform at the dealership. Oh well the coffee was good at least.

20. tomatopants

tomatopants

My stepdad had to pay 400 dollars for 2 keys for his Porsche, plus another 200 dollars to program the chip so the engine will start when it's turning over.....

50 bucks is nothing.