Need help with choosing recovery gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate to admit this, but, I have been wheeling for years without any recovery gear. The only tow strap I had is now owned by the John Deere tractor and don't think it would be safe to use it. So, what do I need and what can I get away with? Let me know what size of everything I may need. I want quality stuff in hopes to ensure a little more safety.
What I am thinking I am needing for my 100 is:
snatch block
Kinetic recovery/tow strap(are these the same thing)
Heavy duty leather gloves
tree saver
shackles. There will be two on the rear bumper and maybe two under the front bumper.
Hi-lift(what size? i may opt for the 48")

I was going to just opt for this kit, which is cheaper than if you tried to piece together the same items from their site.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/products/Viking-Offroad-Winch--Recovery-Kit.html

I hate to admit this, but, I have been wheeling for years without any recovery gear. The only tow strap I had is now owned by the John Deere tractor and don't think it would be safe to use it. So, what do I need and what can I get away with? Let me know what size of everything I may need. I want quality stuff in hopes to ensure a little more safety.
snatch block
tree saver
shackles. There will be two on the rear bumper and maybe two under the front bumper.

I was going to just opt for this kit, which is cheaper than if you tried to piece together the same items from their site.

ya, that kit or the warn or arb etc. should be fine. They are a good "bang for the buck".

Get the tallest hi lift you can get fit in your truck. It may only be 24" to the bottom of your bumper, but its could be another 12" before the tire comes off the ground and it might sink 12" in the mud before it hits bottom. Its nice to have the OEM jack and a block or spacer of sorts too though. I would suggest two snatch blocks, and 3 shackles.

Also, there is a few options for kinetic straps, and Im sure someone can dig up a better price, but these are fairly well known: http://www.bubbarope.com/

What have you got for recovery points? You dont want to be tugging off of a tow ball if you dont have to.
:cheers:

Front bumper is ARB Sahara bar, so, no recovery points there but am getting some frame recovery brackets. I am ordering a Slee rear bumper with two points.

Hi All:

I can't believe that there is a model of ARB front bull bar without points to attached "D" ring shackles.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front bumper is ARB Sahara bar, so, no recovery points there but am getting some frame recovery brackets. I am ordering a Slee rear bumper with two points.

snatch block
tree saver

It all depends on how built (heavy) your vehicle is as to the size of your straps and other recovery gear - but - here are the basics.

Bag - to put your stuff in.
Snatch/Tow Strap - 2" or 3" and length of 20' or 30' depending on several factors. We have all combinations in stock. You could go with either.
Recovery rope (aka kinetic rope) - 7/8" to 1" and 20' to 30' depending on several factors. These are more expensive than straps but stretch more and are quite nice. Mine has seen much more use than my strap. I recommend 7/8" x 20' for most applications.
Tree Strap - polyester is preferred for low low stretch - 3" x 8' is what I use. I don't suggest going less than 8' because you will run out of length quick. 3" is needed to help protect the tree.
Shackles - 3/4" is the standard. 4.75 t WLL with a minimum 4:1 safety factor. The Van Beast shackles Southeast Overland carries are 6:1. The last thing you want breaking and coming back at you is hardware. Carry 2 minimum, 3 preferred.
Leather gloves - whenever you are doing a recovery use a pair to save your hands. You don't want to get torn up and then not be able to finish the recovery.
Block (aka snatch block) - I don't like using the term 'snatch' with 'block' because you don't snatch with a winch block. The pull should be static. We have ARB7000 blocks in stock. This is what we carry in our recovery bag. You only need this though if you have a winch.

Other things to consider:
Tire deflators (for convenience)
Winch line extension
Soft shackles - for when a hard/metal shackle won't work. I carry one 3/8" and one 1/2".
Shovel

We have all this stuff available online in our WEB STORE <---- clicky the link.

Our straps have not been updated in the online store (hopefully will be this week).

Shoot us a call at 864-280-4238 or email Sales@SoutheastOverland.com and we will put a kit together for you. Our synthetic winch lines and extensions are made in-house so we can custom make one any length or configuration for no additional charge. We have some recovery kits also available online. If you want to make your own kit and the total price is over $150 then figure 10% off the price and we will work with you to bundle shipping too.

Thanks! :cheers:

I'm working on a kit as well and that info ^^^ is perfect :) thanks

robustbambi said:
I'm working on a kit as well and that info ^^^ is perfect :) thanks

You are very welcome. We also have new snatch straps and tree straps that I need to get online - so there are even more choices than what you see online now. Call us and we will walk you through everything.

X2... Great info!

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom