Need help on leaf spring for a SOA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a pair of FJ55 rear springs in the for sale section. I'm currently running flipped stock 40 springs and decided to go ORI 4 link in the rear, so won't be needing the 55 springs. I run a set of well abused flipped Alcans up front and have been pretty happy with them - ditto on the bushings though, require frequent replacement. Maybe splurge on orbit eyes.

I've been pretty happy with the Alcans and stock 40 springs ride and flex wise, but always had to baby the rear springs on steep climbs. Had hoped the stouter 55 springs would help, but decided to finally go 4 link.

Agree the list is intimidating. I have a lot to do.....to get my junk ready for a trip.

Well the surgery has begun. I may be too old to be crawling under rigs jerking axles out by myself anymore. Plus the amount of seized rusted nuts and bolts completely killed me. This stuff saved my ass big time when I was smar enough to spray it on heavily about and hour or two ahead of time.

4BD8FA06-6C04-49C0-A2FC-433DB4A70F0C.jpeg

AF8A28DB-A737-4370-A50E-5C2A2A3262B4.jpeg

Hey guys. So Alcan replied back to me after inputting all my information. They asked for more detailed info and what I was trying to accomplish. I told them I wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Let me k is if anything pops out as a red flag. This is my first foray into buying custom leafs springs. Before this it’s always been off the shelf Ranchos or the like. Thanks for any input. Here is what they said.

Hello David, We can build these springs with reverse eyes and 3" of free arch. They will measure 47-3/4" flat with the orbit eyes in the shackle end. Mount to mount 47" so that with the weight of the rig on them you have some shackle angle. With the orbit eye bushings and shackles you will get a lot of articulation with the springs and a lot of drop out. I would suggest good bump stops above the springs.
The orbit eye bushings are 3-3/4" wide so you will need to build some shackle bars to accept them. We can build the shackle bars they are $80.00 per axle.We build them out of 1-1/2" wide 3/8" steel. It sounds like your FJ-40 will be pretty well balanced so maybe just a little extra capacity in the rear springs for tools and gear? We can put a torque leaf on the front of the springs (it raps around the eye) and a Military rap on the orbit eye. If this will work drop a call and we will get the ball rolling on new Custom springs! Bill

Sounds good to me. Personally I would go with Deaver over alcan. Alcan is ok but I think Deaver has a lot more experience and you'll get a better spring. But Alcan works. I have alcan on my 40. Be prepared of the possibility that you will bolt them on to find out you need something you want changed in the leaf packs and to send them back to alcan to get those changes made. If your going to run 40 inch tires you will probably want to stretch the wheelbase into the 100" area in my opinion. If 37s I think just under 100" is fine and you avoid a comp cut on the rear quarters. Or you could drop a fj43 half tub on and really stretch it's legs.

I contacted Deaver and never heard back. I planned on doing a comp cut out back. No plans at this time to replace the cab. But as most projects go, everything evolves as you make your way through it. Just last night I was working on stuff and came across a rats nest of wires that seem to be the old harness. The P.O. swapped in the Chevy engine and SM420 and now that I’m trying to simplify I don’t think there is much need for the old harness that is hacked up and cut up and spliced into all over the place. Thinking of just ripping it all out and starting over with a new harness from Painless or JT or EZ. And while I’m at it replacing the stock steering column with tilt style GM or Ididit. This is where the list mentioned in previous posts will come in handy!

Pulled the trigger on the Alcans today. Spoke with a Bob and went over all the details. Military wrap, reverse eye, FJ60 rears on all 4 corners but d4vided against the Orbit Eyes. He turned me away from another $500.00 sale on the eyes stating he’d rather have a happy customer than un unhappy one. He said unless I was intending to do hard core stuff I didnt need the orbit eyes. He said body roll would be pretty intense with them. Great guy and I have to thank pjohnson and 74fj40 for pointing me in their direction. I love this form! Thanks guys. I’ll post up some pics when the arrive.

570 a pair.

Excellent!
I think you'll be happy with them. IMO price isn't that bad either for hand built custom springs.

That’s really not too bad. Did they provide you with a recommendation for shack valving?

No and I didn’t think to ask, but I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem, Bob is about as nice as it gets.

Excellent!
I think you'll be happy with them. IMO price isn't that bad either for hand built custom springs.

I’m good with the price, especially compared to my original plan of ORI STX struts at $3,400.00 + with all the goodies and about the same for King coil overs with bumps and everything involved. Aftermarket leaf spring companies were pretty comparable to Alcan but almost all were just cookie cutter spec and had a lift to them. Some Australian models were twice as much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom