need +.40 over pistons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought a set for a rebuild that never happened. I'm not positive weather they're 3 or 4 over. I'll have to check. $150 + the ride ~ $15. And I can ship this week.Let me know if you're interested.
plebwade@comcast.net

I got a set once from my machine shop. Some of the higher compression pistons sold by various LC vendors are probably higher grade, but I bet otherwise they all sell the same stuff. Unless you're doing a hi-po rebuild I bet any good auto parts store can provide what you need...

2F Pistons

After a considerable amount of research and a couple phone calls looking for pistons and rings for my 3/75 2F motor, I finally gave my engine builder the go ahead to order an engine kit. Here's what I learned in the process:

- OEM pistons are no longer available, CDan had a set of rings
- CCOT doesn't have .030 over domed pistons available in stock at this time
- SOR has them available for $60 each and rings are $99 (brand unknown)
- Hastings makes early 2F pistons but they didn't get a good review from a machinist in Denver that rebuilds 2Fs
- Man-a-fre has 2F pistons and rings available that are .040 over for $275 (brand unknown)
- Man-a-fre also has Deves piston rings .030 oversized available and they get positive comments here on the MUD board. Not sure how they would work with other aftermarket pistons.
- Jieh Chueng Industrial, Co., Ltd., appears to make 2F pistons but I couldn't find much information
- Federal Mogul and Sealed Power are now part of the same company. Sealed Power was recommended as the aftermarket piston of choice by a Denver machinist. However, Sealed Power is in the process of moving their manufacturing overseas so their pistons and rings are difficult to get at this time. I've been told that if you order Sealed Power pistons right now, you may get ITM pistons in a Sealed Power box. (summer '07)
- Given the situation with Sealed Power, ITM pistons and Clevite rings(Mahle brand) were available through my engine builder at Engine Performance Warehouse (EPW). I think Clevite also makes 2F pistons.

Mark I got my ITM .040 pistons with rings for 34.80 each. Rings ended up being NPR (Nippon). Which from what Grant says are pretty good.

Bucks Engine Parts Warehouse
864-295-3360

item #
RY6150-040

For 75-80 2F?
Get them anywhere. Start w/ your machine shop, so it's his problem when they don't fit.

If machinist is too lazy to order them from EPW/Advance/CarQuest/NAPA/RockAuto, then you can order them yourself. But I would recommend finding another machine shop.

For 75-80 2F?
Get them anywhere. Start w/ your machine shop, so it's his problem when they don't fit.

If machinist is too lazy to order them from EPW/Advance/CarQuest/NAPA/RockAuto, then you can order them yourself. But I would recommend finding another machine shop.
X2...Most good machine shops want the pistons in-hand before boring the block due to small variances in the various oversizes.

Ed

After a considerable amount of research and a couple phone calls looking for pistons and rings for my 3/75 2F motor

I know Toyota used the straight 6 in fork lift trucks, I think as a GAS (LPG/PROPANE) engine. Always wondered if the internals were the same as the gasoline engine, and what parts might be interchangable.

I think the 2F was used in the forklift application after the 60 series changed.

Some parts on ebay in the US (Item numbers) 110057539033 & 110074226076 for example. Probably cheap parts but sometime it's supprising whats around.

Anyone ever seen on or know anything?

Mark Are these domed or flat?

Mine from the original motor were domed. Not sure about the replacement block I got from Jim Godwin. Should I check with him, or does it matter? One of the other mudders here PM'ed me and has some pistons and rings, but he can not remember how over they are. Here are the pics, will they work? I will call the parts supplier you mentioned. My machine shop does want the pistons in hand, he said that he was unfamiliar with 2F's and his supplier only had +.20 overs so he figured I would know where to get them, or you guys would at least. ;)

If the head and the block go together, you'll need to use like pistons. Like replace domed with domed. If you use flat top to replace you'll lose compression.

Ed

If the head and the block go together, you'll need to use like pistons. Like replace domed with domed. If you use flat top to replace you'll lose compression.

Ed

Ok, pls answer this question. My old engine which cracked had domed pistons. I am reusing all the parts except the block. I got the block from Godwin from a 84 FJ60 and I don't know if it had domed pistons or not. I will PM him, but should I go with domed pistons bc my head was set up for them vs. ? the block? Also, my old block had been rebuild and the domed pistons I have are from it. Who knows if they were originally used or not. Is there really that much difference if you are not building a high performance motor? Signed, Clueless :grinpimp:

If you are using the head off the motor that had domed pistons, then replace with domed pistons. It is a function of the head design, not the shortblock, AFAIK.
If you use flat tops with a head that was designed for domed, yes you will suffer a noticable drop in compression and performance.
Just to be sure, check the casting number on the head. JimC has posted the various casting numbers....I'll see if I can find a thread.

Ed

Can anyone tell me if these pistons are over? Mud seller does not know.
IMGP1693 (496 x 372).jpg
IMGP1694 (496 x 372).jpg

Here is an old one that was just revived.:eek

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/20-all-2f-heads-identicle.html

Post #18

GL

Ed

I have seen that post before but that does not tell me whether or not my pistons need to be domed or not does it? Are all blocks pretty much the same? If so then, logic would tell me that if my pistons were domed, they should stay domed? This is a PIA bc it has gone from a simple crack in the block to getting a new block, but the block is not the same year and needs to be over bored so now I have to trash perfectly good pistons just to get the oversized ones. s***. If I could just find a block from a 78 or 79 like the one I have that has not been over bored, but maybe I am dreaming. :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom