Navigation hack? Can't set destination while driving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so it's been less than a week and I've already found my first annoyance with my 2013 LC. Evidently Toyota in their infinite wisdom (or more likely paranoia of lawsuits) disables the ability to enter an address in the navigation system when the vehicle is in motion. I find this incredibly annoying as my wife will routinely enter our destination (or add a waypoint for gas/food/etc) on a trip once we've started driving, and stopping on the highway in order to enter a waypoint just seems ludicrous.

So far I've found two companies (VAIS and Prestigious Society) that sell a device that sits inline behind the unit and allows you to override the "feature" temporarily through a combination of button presses on the steering wheel.

First question: Has anyone tried these? Does overriding existing button presses confuse you or does it all work as expected? The VAIS device is $180 and the PS one is $230, and though VAIS hasn't officially tested theirs with the 2013 LC they say the 2013 LX one should work (and if not they'll take a refund).

Second question: Has anyone attempted to hack the navigation software recently? I read some threads about the older software having a hidden menu and people attempting to replace one of the binaries in their software image, but evidently that no longer works (plus you still need to access the hidden menu every time you start the vehicle).

To my second question, I have some experience with debuggers and assembly and a decent programming background, so if I knew roughly where to look and at least had the binaries I could probably modify it myself (assuming the Nav system doesn't look for signatures). I'm fairly sure there's just a software function that checks if the vehicle is in motion, so if I can locate that I suspect it's a single value change (e.g. if 0=moving, 1=idle then have the function return 1 if idle or 1 if moving). Does anyone know where to get copies of the latest Navigation firmware and how to apply it?

Only way around that is to get a device that tricks your truck into thinking you're in park... Then you can fiddle all you like. It's crazy annoying to not even be able to have a passenger handle settings while driving. I knows t's a safety thing...but I wonder how many accidents are caused BECAUSE lost drivers pull to the shoulder of highways/freeways...?

Given how superior Google Maps is to the Toyota nav system, I haven't bothered with any of that. Instead, I got a magnetic mount that clips to my air vent to the left of the screen. The magnetic mount includes a magnet that I attached to the inside of a hard case for my iPhone. When I get in the truck, I plop the iPhone on the mount, plug in the USB cable, and off I go.

Google Maps is automatically updated and unlike the Toyota nav system, I don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for the updates.

Toyota really should follow other automakers and support Apple CarPlay and Google's equivalent. There is simply no way their nav system will ever keep pace.

Reactions: FJC
I bought the Prestigious Society unit the same week I bought the LC. It works as advertised.

I bought the Prestigious Society unit the same week I bought the LC. It works as advertised.

Seems like it is a pain in the neck to install. Did you do the install or have someone install it for you?

It a shame this only works for certain Lexus models. Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, USB, XM/Sirius SAT Radio, Video integration)

Mirroring my Note 4 to the screen would be perfect.

Their product looks really cool, but their website is confusing. So it looks like the touchscreen functionality is only available for Android? The have something similar to that for iPhone, but I don't think you can use the touchscreen. What gen entertainment system is a 2013 LC?

Their product looks really cool, but their website is confusing. So it looks like the touchscreen functionality is only available for Android? The have something similar to that for iPhone, but I don't think you can use the touchscreen. What gen entertainment system is a 2013 LC?

Their web site is crap. I couldn't figure out which vehicles it works with.

Which generation nav. would an 09 land cruiser have?

Sent from my SM-G860P

Maybe these folks have what you are looking for. I have one of their units in my Challenger SRT8.

TOYOTA LOCKPICKS

Not in my case. Prompt service and a product that has been in service for 5 years.

Entune runs on QNX, which is what Blackberry's ran. I'm getting more tempted to buy a USB dongle to see if I can modify it..

Hacking QNX

Seems like it is a pain in the neck to install. Did you do the install or have someone install it for you?
My rig was minutes old and I didn't want to scratch up the dash so I had it installed, but if I were installing it a year or more into it I'd have done it it myself. I don't think it's all that complicated. The installer was surprised at how quickly it went.

My rig was minutes old and I didn't want to scratch up the dash so I had it installed, but if I were installing it a year or more into it I'd have done it it myself. I don't think it's all that complicated. The installer was surprised at how quickly it went.

Did you go to a car stereo place for the install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom