My version of a Trailer build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this the tent you designed? Same as post 2 illustrations?

Not so much designed as had modified for my needs. Still need to install and verify the modifications will work.

For the stabilizer jacks I'm using some trailer tongue jacks (Bulldog Square Tube Jack — 3000-Lb. Lift Capacity, Direct Weld Mounting | Trailer Jacks | Northern Tool + Equipment) with 15" drop leg (Bulldog Jack Drop Leg — 5000-Lb. Lift Capacity | Cranks + Feet | Northern Tool + Equipment). They are way over kill but will do for this time. I have noticed other trailers like the conqueror just use a simple tube with clamping bolt. I think if I hadn't just bought the jacks I would go this route.
IMG_7999.jpg

Picked up the tent. I set it up quickly or some pictures and get a first impression. Of course it was raining so I had to set it up in the shop. I was not able to open the annex and install the walls but the main tent fit (just barely) and I like what I see so far. Well made with heavy sippers and double seams. I have some questions on the travel cover but everything else looks pretty good. Now I just have to figure out how I’m going to mount it to the trailer. I think a bit of extra bracketry is required and will have to pack the tent back up and flip it over to get a better idea. I will get more pictures one I get it permanently mounted and can set it up outside.

trailer_tent_02.jpg

trailer_tent_04.jpg

trailer_tent_06.jpg

trailer_tent_07.jpg

trailer_tent_13.jpg

A few more pictures at http://www.olympiafj60.net/off-road-tent-trailer-build-part-3.html

Ummm..ok..I want one! Is the tent custom made just for your application?

This is getting exciting now:popcorn:

I customized it in the features I wanted but it can be fitted to most any trailer. I had it narrowed just a little to ~66" and it is 90" long. Once I get the mounting figured out I will put more detail here. I was thinking of making a frame to easily mount it to the military trailers too. Something that could just be bolted or welded to the trailer.

who made that tent? did you post roughly how much the tent was?

I contracted with a company in China that makes the tents for the Australian market. I had them add features I wanted for my trailer and I am hoping to start trade with them and sell them in the US. I still have to go over the numbers and see what it would cost. I will get that information together soon and post it here. If I can get 5 or 10 interested people I could do an initial purchase and have the tents before summer.

I contracted with a company in China that makes the tents for the Australian market. I had them add features I wanted for my trailer and I am hoping to start trade with them and sell them in the US. I still have to go over the numbers and see what it would cost. I will get that information together soon and post it here. If I can get 5 or 10 interested people I could do an initial purchase and have the tents before summer.

i would be interested for sure.. depending on price for sure.. i was hoping to have a rtt this month but again if the price is right i would be willing to wait..

Still waiting on ocean shipping rates. Also looking into the need for fire retardant fabric before I announce a price.

The size of the tent closed is 90" (~7.5') long, 66" (5.5') wide and between 6"-12" tall. The width was selected because that is the width of my trailer outside fender to outside fender. I believe the M416 is roughly the same. The base is designed to sit 54" off the ground. Open, the tent is 17' wide and 15' long (7.5' each for main room and awning). The peak is 8'. The tent fabric is 10oz rip stop poly cotton canvas and the floor is 13oz PVC. Polls and ladder are steel. The base is 3/4" marine grade plywood with a metal frame under for added support. There are two hatch doors in the base for easy access to trailer storage once setup. There is a 3" foam mattress. The entire tent weighs roughly 350 lbs.

I am still working on the mounting. I am thinking of offering a mounting frame at additional expense or having the customer provide their own mounting method. The frame would fit customers trailer and have hinges, latches and struts.

wow !! thats fairly heavy .. may not work for me my trailer is 59'' to the top of my racks.. so i wood be bout 5'' too tall.. i suppose i could let some air outta the tires..

That's a sweet looking setup. You've put a lot of thought and work into it.

I am also looking at a slightly smaller tent. About 78" long by 60" wide on the trailer and 10' by 14' on the ground (6.5' for tent and 7.5' for Awning). Otherwise, the same features. Trying to get a weight estimate for it.

looks like we have three so far. can you speak to the quality of the tent, material, seams, etc?

once my "prototype trailer is finished and tested i am going to design a replicable , production model expedition trailer. this tent looks perfect for it.

:popcorn: :beer:

So far the quality looks great. I have only had it set up in the shop though. I hope to have it on the trailer and get it set up outside next week. I will leave it up for a while and check for water leaks and get a good look at the seams from the inside on a sunny day. On the travel cover all seams are taped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom